Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure you can, yet, the latest update (2023.6.1) requires a fresh install. I believe OTA updates are coming, at which point you will be able to update and keep your settings.

It might be a bit of a PITA initially but I'd recommend the update, it's been very solid for me so far.

Reactions: KBD1112
I'd not condone support that guy's channel. Lots of clickbait, spends hours talking about stuff and never getting to the point. I don't remember specifics now, but I was commenting on one of his videos pointing out an error or something and my posts kept getting deleted.
Yea I Blocked Robert Rosenfeld from appearing In my YouTube long time ago.

Reactions: timeshifter
2023.6.1 is getting a good response on twitter.
Yea 2023.6.1 is a pre release “alpha”. I’m using the third build of it, I think it is the latest. It is stable. CarPlay interface is even more responsive because hardware gpu based decoding of the H264 video stream from carlinkit to pie is happening..moving the view in Apple Maps reveals the performance gain. Feels like 10 frames per second faster than before.
Playing Apple Lossless codec via android OS Apple Music is nice 😎🆒. I downloaded the music to microSD when pi was plugged in to home internet. I also playback uncompressed flac audio Via VLC.
I messed around with experimental settings which should allow CarPlay‘s Apple Music to playback lossless codec when using wired CarPlay (Apple set thus limitation, they document it). Audio is sent to tesla web browser at 48khz sample rate from pi via wifi, no more bluetooth compression in the pipeline.occasionally audio skipped or froze until you hit play/pause but Mike mentioned one more planned tweak which hopefully will fix that.
Anyhow, if you are not in to beta testing, hold off and wait for official release.

Last edited:
So in layman’s terms you get better sound quality? How much better is it, objectively, if possible? Do a blind test on your wife and see if she can tell which is which. :)
In laymen’s terms, yup. If you have ever noticed that some songs played over Bluetooth seem dulled a bit when compared to CD or good quality MP3 or flac audio payed back via usb, then you’d like the better audio abilities. Many people won’t care though. Audiophiles will care. If You scan the threads about Tesla’s native Apple Music app, you will see that people were disappointed that there was no ability to stream apple’s lossless codec.
My youngest daughter loves the westworld season 1 soundtrack. I’ll ask her what she thinks & use her favorite song. I have it as flac uncompressed audio on usb drive & on my iPhone as high quality lossless Apple codec but it will be compressed by Bluetooth transmission.
For me and my pal, Toto’s song Africa is one where we can tell the difference between Bluetooth & not.

Reactions: timeshifter
Version 2023.7.1 has been released.
72106A47-901D-4FCF-A629-F18498CDBFFB.jpeg

Yep, works well. I also have it configured so that the Pi hotspot is only active when the Pi is tethered to the iPhone, which is helpful for maintaining connectivity to the car via it's LTE modem when parked.

For power supply I'm using an OBD II to USB C thingy from Amazon, which seems to give the Pi enough juice to fully boot with both iPhone and CarPlay dongle connected. Plus it's always-on, if I want it to be (although I'll also be using a switched cable once that arrives).

The audio with 2023.7.1 is a huge improvement. It sounds fantastic. However, now that audio is routed via the browser its shares audio with the radio. If I start with the radio and traverse to the browser to CarPlay, Apple Music and the radio play at the same time. I have to pause the radio.

The Tesla-Android version was moved to the upper right and some times gets in the way while using Waze. If I select the mic icon via Waze I sometimes click the Tesla-Android version and it takes me to the version page. 🙂

I will do some additional testing tomorrow.

The audio with 2023.7.1 is a huge improvement. It sounds fantastic. However, now that audio is routed via the browser its shares audio with the radio. If I start with the radio and traverse to the browser to CarPlay, Apple Music and the radio play at the same time. I have to pause the radio.

The Tesla-Android version was moved to the upper right and some times gets in the way while using Waze. If I select the mic icon via Waze I sometimes click the Tesla-Android version and it takes me to the version page. 🙂

I will do some additional testing tomorrow.
You can still route CarPlay audio through bluetooth, just change the setting in the AutoKit app (in the advanced settings menu)

Yep, works well. I also have it configured so that the Pi hotspot is only active when the Pi is tethered to the iPhone, which is helpful for maintaining connectivity to the car via it's LTE modem when parked.

For power supply I'm using an OBD II to USB C thingy from Amazon, which seems to give the Pi enough juice to fully boot with both iPhone and CarPlay dongle connected. Plus it's always-on, if I want it to be (although I'll also be using a switched cable once that arrives).
How did you get it to work?