Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carplay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Sorry to beat a dead beaten horse, but ..

As Tesla owners, should we politely but as a group, request Tesla that they should offer better phone integration on the world's most hi-tech car? When Elon asked suggestions for 7.0, carplay was the #1 requested feature. And it's a shame that the #1 requested feature is being ignored completely.

Benefits,
1. Safer if you don't have to look at your phone
2. More features that benefit EVERY Tesla owner, not just the ones with the newest hardware
3. Better music player, nav, voice controls, basically everything so Tesla can focus their time on things like AP.
4. Makes us not jealous of a Toyota corolla.

If we were to make such a request to Tesla, what would be the best avenue?

Wasn't there some concrete discussion of why this wasn't happening? I agree with your list, but I thought we saw some discussion of why this was dead. Something about sandboxing, not giving the phone access to the car systems, yada yada....

Dev resources can always be found, they have to have many software teams. I thought there was a basic reason why this was a non-starter. (There always is Tesla Tunes as a reason why they want to roll their own integration/music, but I thought it was something more fundamental....)

I don't own an iPhone and almost certainly never will. But lots of people do, so it would make sense for Tesla to integrate it. Since it's software-based it's something that could easily be an option paid for by the people who want it.

If Apple's licensing rules say that it can't be a paid option, then no, I don't want Tesla to add it.

Why not just stream from your phone? Slacker radio is just as repetitive as all the others, nothing special aside from it being integrated into the car user interface already.

1) With an iPhone, it defers to apple music first when connecting with bluetooth, therefore I have to exit out of that and return to spotify..annoying step every time I get into my car
2) Phone is always connected to wifi, either leaving home or the office... have to wait for LTE to jump on, which pauses any playback. I have to go back into my phone and go through the fingerprint scan, which will most likely take me back to the home screen because I am trying to drive and press it too many times, then I have to look on my screen to get back to spofity.
3)would like to jump around from podcasts on tune in to music without entering phone (see above).

Would be nice to have playlists and etc from my spofity account integrated on the screen, something I do not want to recreate with slacker.

-Michael

Reactions: Ken7
1) With an iPhone, it defers to apple music first when connecting with bluetooth, therefore I have to exit out of that and return to spotify..annoying step every time I get into my car
2) Phone is always connected to wifi, either leaving home or the office... have to wait for LTE to jump on, which pauses any playback. I have to go back into my phone and go through the fingerprint scan, which will most likely take me back to the home screen because I am trying to drive and press it too many times, then I have to look on my screen to get back to spofity.
3)would like to jump around from podcasts on tune in to music without entering phone (see above).

Would be nice to have playlists and etc from my spofity account integrated on the screen, something I do not want to recreate with slacker.

-Michael
I leave the app on, and when I get it my car, it automatically starts playing it from my iPhone. I can skip songs, etc, but I just can't search for them like Slacker audio. Either way, to each their own, but I don't have any issues with Spotify or iHeart when streaming.

I would be happy if the car just didn’t start automatically playing whatever was in queue on the iPhone when it connects by Bluetooth. Restricting CarPlay is not respected in this regard and there’s no other control for this.
0BC88F67-EB2C-4B58-A29F-853FCB949EB1.jpeg

I have CarPlay on my Mercedes and Yukon. It was cool at the beginning then after a month I stopped using it. The interface with these two cars is cumbersome and requires plugging in the phone. The native navigation is better in my opinion. Apple map won't let you zoom out to check your surroundings and it won't let you factor in supercharging. It would be great if tesla integrates Siri somehow.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Wasn't there some concrete discussion of why this wasn't happening? I agree with your list, but I thought we saw some discussion of why this was dead. Something about sandboxing, not giving the phone access to the car systems, yada yada....

I believe that was for app mirroring. There is no reason not to implement carplay except either Elon's ego (I'll do everything myself), or licensing issues or both.

Nope, CarPlay wouldn't help every Tesla owner and I would prefer if Tesla just continue updating their own apps ...

I'd be ok with that! Except Tesla's nav and audio and voice controls and basically almost everything tech related except EV and AP are really really substandard. Even a 10K KIA has better technology now, and that's just wrong.

I don't own an iPhone and almost certainly never will. But lots of people do, so it would make sense for Tesla to integrate it. .

Android Auto + Carplay was the #1 request. I don't know how good or bad android auto is, but carplay is getting to be really nice.

I found that whenever someone sends a text to my iPhone, I hold down the home button (a little longer than usual) and ask Siri to read me the message. I can then recite a reply if needed.

If you like doing that, you'd love carplay. Try it out in a car that has it .. you'll want it too.

Reactions: dow, Ski_ and msnow
Mirroring may have been what I was thinking of, right. There was something about the two 'Play' apps, though, and I thought it was more than 'NIH' syndrome, but I'm still not recalling what.

If we had it, and it was running on half the MCU screen, it would actually make the dock(s) (1 on S/X, 2 on 3) useful!

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf