Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carvana Buying Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, long time lurker, new poster.

I thought I would share my experience buying a loaded 2013 P85 through Carvana last month since it seems like their Tesla inventory has been exploding and I’m sure others on the lookout for a used S might consider them. This will be long but I will hope to keep it instructive.

I’ll start by saying that up front I knew I wanted a 2013 P85. I personally could care less about Autopilot, so this didn’t play in my decision, I wanted it with over air update capability, I love the old grill, and I wanted a 2013 simply because these models are almost like pieces of automotive history. Even with that context in mind, an early production Model S still has more tech and features than 99% of new cars being made today, and no other new competitor has a better range than these older cars.

Originally I planned to buy through Tesla for the CPO. I had found a Model I liked that had about 59k miles on it and they were offering it for just under $50k 2 months ago. Interacting with their used staff was basically a nightmare. Although it looks like they are finally putting real pics on their website now, then they had to send me pictures, and they weren’t great quality, and was only 5 or 6 shots. After learning from the Tesla rep they don’t really refurbish or make repairs on their used offerings, I started looking elsewhere.

After never hearing about Carvana before, since they aren’t in my market, I found them through Cars.com and discovered a fairly large selection of Tesla’s.

I did some research about them to learn that they actually do make a solid effort to get their cars looking like new again, replace tires if necessary, and also never buy a car that’s been in an accident. They also will post pictures of any imperfections that do exist, which is more transparent than any other used car dealer out there

After finding a Metallic Silver with basically every option possible expect for the 21” wheels, I decided to go about buying. It was over $10k less than the Tesla CPO I nearly bought prior, with less mileage. I guess the risk is it not being covered, but I can’t imagine spending 10k on repairs in a couple of years that the CPO would have covered and I could also just buy a 4 year warranty for a little over 4K if I want to. Either way, big savings.

First, I did their finance pre-qualification, which doesn’t hit your credit, and was given terms that were pretty close to what my bank was offering.

I was trading in a car, so I just had to plug in my Vin and click a few options and questions, and they gave me an amount good for a week that they would take for my car. I was trading a Lexus CT hybrid, and they gave me $1000 over what KBB had estimated at the top end, and $2100 more than Carmax was going to give me. It said this was an adjustment for my market. Since my car was already paid off, this was a very nice surprise.

After those two things were sorted, I proceeded with the transaction, which was entirely online. I uploaded a couple paystubs to verify my income, proof that I had the deposit amount in my bank since I was adding more money beyond my trade, a pic of my license, and title/odometer/registration pics for my trade in.

All that took maybe 10 minutes to gather and upload and after pressing “submit” I quickly got a page congratulating me.

The next morning at 8am since I purchased at 10pm, I received a call just confirming my purchase and again congratulating me.

Because I wasn’t near a Carvana vending machine and had a trade in, I had to drop the Lexus off at their vending machine in Tempe, and collected the Tesla there. It was a 6 hour drive for me there and back. If you are in your market they will deliver and pickup your car for you.

The car had to be transported to the vending machine there which took 3 days, and it was completely free. Again, if you are in their market, this is free to your house, which is a nice advantage over Carmax.

Delivery was flawless. They took my Lexus without a thought, and the Tesla was perfect.

Everything disclosed in the photos online was accurate and I didn’t find any surprises. The car has been running smoothly with no issues. Because I had to drive it back home, it was a good opportunity to find any issues, which there weren’t, but I essentially voided the 7 day return since I basically eclipsed the 400mile limit.

Overall it was a flawless experience, and my Model 3 owning friend that went with me was pretty blown away after his order and delivery was a disaster.

Congrats on your Tesla!! Where did you drive 6+ hours to? From? I'm looking at Tesla used and will keep Carvana in mind!

Thanks! I live in El Paso, TX and drove to Tempe, AZ where they have their car vending machine. It was a really nice way to break in the car and get a feel for the super charging network and the vehicle driving it for 6 hours immediately after delivery. It rides like a dream and the free super charging is a great perk.

Reactions: byeLT4
Hi all, long time lurker, new poster.

I thought I would share my experience buying a loaded 2013 P85 through Carvana last month since it seems like their Tesla inventory has been exploding and I’m sure others on the lookout for a used S might consider them. This will be long but I will hope to keep it instructive.

I’ll start by saying that up front I knew I wanted a 2013 P85. I personally could care less about Autopilot, so this didn’t play in my decision, I wanted it with over air update capability, I love the old grill, and I wanted a 2013 simply because these models are almost like pieces of automotive history. Even with that context in mind, an early production Model S still has more tech and features than 99% of new cars being made today, and no other new competitor has a better range than these older cars.

Originally I planned to buy through Tesla for the CPO. I had found a Model I liked that had about 59k miles on it and they were offering it for just under $50k 2 months ago. Interacting with their used staff was basically a nightmare. Although it looks like they are finally putting real pics on their website now, then they had to send me pictures, and they weren’t great quality, and was only 5 or 6 shots. After learning from the Tesla rep they don’t really refurbish or make repairs on their used offerings, I started looking elsewhere.

After never hearing about Carvana before, since they aren’t in my market, I found them through Cars.com and discovered a fairly large selection of Tesla’s.

I did some research about them to learn that they actually do make a solid effort to get their cars looking like new again, replace tires if necessary, and also never buy a car that’s been in an accident. They also will post pictures of any imperfections that do exist, which is more transparent than any other used car dealer out there

After finding a Metallic Silver with basically every option possible expect for the 21” wheels, I decided to go about buying. It was over $10k less than the Tesla CPO I nearly bought prior, with less mileage. I guess the risk is it not being covered, but I can’t imagine spending 10k on repairs in a couple of years that the CPO would have covered and I could also just buy a 4 year warranty for a little over 4K if I want to. Either way, big savings.

First, I did their finance pre-qualification, which doesn’t hit your credit, and was given terms that were pretty close to what my bank was offering.

I was trading in a car, so I just had to plug in my Vin and click a few options and questions, and they gave me an amount good for a week that they would take for my car. I was trading a Lexus CT hybrid, and they gave me $1000 over what KBB had estimated at the top end, and $2100 more than Carmax was going to give me. It said this was an adjustment for my market. Since my car was already paid off, this was a very nice surprise.

After those two things were sorted, I proceeded with the transaction, which was entirely online. I uploaded a couple paystubs to verify my income, proof that I had the deposit amount in my bank since I was adding more money beyond my trade, a pic of my license, and title/odometer/registration pics for my trade in.

All that took maybe 10 minutes to gather and upload and after pressing “submit” I quickly got a page congratulating me.

The next morning at 8am since I purchased at 10pm, I received a call just confirming my purchase and again congratulating me.

Because I wasn’t near a Carvana vending machine and had a trade in, I had to drop the Lexus off at their vending machine in Tempe, and collected the Tesla there. It was a 6 hour drive for me there and back. If you are in your market they will deliver and pickup your car for you.

The car had to be transported to the vending machine there which took 3 days, and it was completely free. Again, if you are in their market, this is free to your house, which is a nice advantage over Carmax.

Delivery was flawless. They took my Lexus without a thought, and the Tesla was perfect.

Everything disclosed in the photos online was accurate and I didn’t find any surprises. The car has been running smoothly with no issues. Because I had to drive it back home, it was a good opportunity to find any issues, which there weren’t, but I essentially voided the 7 day return since I basically eclipsed the 400mile limit.

Overall it was a flawless experience, and my Model 3 owning friend that went with me was pretty blown away after his order and delivery was a disaster.

Carvana is perhaps the best way to buy a used Tesla, if you can find the model you want in their inventory.

Tesla should just turn over their CPO program to Carvana. The cars sold by Carvana sell are in immaculate condition and they stand behind what they sell so much that they offer a 7 day money back guarantee.

They still somehow make a profit too so apparently selling quality used cars, treating customers well, and making a profit are all possible.

Used Caravan before as well. Would definitely use them again. Only went through the Tesla hell of used buying for the warranty.

This was originally my intent because of wanting the CPO but the one I was going to buy from them only had 2 years 100k miles on it and cost nearly $10k more with more mileage.

For about $4500 if I desire I can buy a 4 year warranty from X-care that still runs through Tesla repair shops and provides similar coverage. If Tesla was still doing a lot of pro-bono repairs it wouldn’t be equal, but even on their warranty cars they cuts back quite a bit on that in the last year so it’s hard to justify paying so much more directly through Tesla when another car company takes much better care of their cars than they do.

Reactions: IronDan
I fly to PHX to pick up our used MS 85 earlier this year at the Tempe Delivery Center and I believe I drove right past the Carvana vending machine across the fwy from ASU...on my 6 hour drive back to Orange County, Ca. Our experience with Tesla was very good. The car had a few rock chips on the windshield and bumper cover, and 3 of the 4 wheels had a decent amount of curb rash. Like you, we couldn't care less for AP so buying a "Classic" for under $40K was our focus.

The only issue was had so far was the rear window defroster wasn't working when we picked up the car. I drove the car home and dropped the car off at our local Service Center less than 2 miles from our home. If you've paid attention to the various posts, here are something are common issues people have had though in no way am I saying these are high probability defects:

door handle mechanism
MCU
control arms
DC-DC inverter/AC compressor fuse
charger
12V battery
drive unit whine

I haven't had an issue with any of these, but I'm keeping my eye on them...especially under warranty. Congrats on getting what your wanted and I hope you enjoy your car as much as we have enjoyed ours. These are great cars for road trips. Between the frequent stops to Supercharge, low vibrations, amazing aerodynamics, and quiet cabin, it seem to get you to your destination more rested than any other car I've driven.

Great to hear about your experience, and glad to hear there is some demand for classics like the one I'm about to put up for sale (due to Raven upgrade)! I totally understand all the reasons for the love, there is something pretty awesome about the P85+!

I fly to PHX to pick up our used MS 85 earlier this year at the Tempe Delivery Center and I believe I drove right past the Carvana vending machine across the fwy from ASU...on my 6 hour drive back to Orange County, Ca. Our experience with Tesla was very good. The car had a few rock chips on the windshield and bumper cover, and 3 of the 4 wheels had a decent amount of curb rash. Like you, we couldn't care less for AP so buying a "Classic" for under $40K was our focus.

The only issue was had so far was the rear window defroster wasn't working when we picked up the car. I drove the car home and dropped the car off at our local Service Center less than 2 miles from our home. If you've paid attention to the various posts, here are something are common issues people have had though in no way am I saying these are high probability defects:

door handle mechanism
MCU
control arms
DC-DC inverter/AC compressor fuse
charger
12V battery
drive unit whine

I haven't had an issue with any of these, but I'm keeping my eye on them...especially under warranty. Congrats on getting what your wanted and I hope you enjoy your car as much as we have enjoyed ours. These are great cars for road trips. Between the frequent stops to Supercharge, low vibrations, amazing aerodynamics, and quiet cabin, it seem to get you to your destination more rested than any other car I've driven.

Thanks. I’m very conscious of the issues you mentioned and actually checked all of that before I even left the Carvana lot since I knew I had a long drive ahead of me, and thankfully no issues. I also lucked out that the previous owner left a mobile charger for me as well as an adapter for general chargers.

I definitely did my research on this cars worst hiccups, and associated costs, and even then, they don’t seem to crop up as frequently or be as costly as other cars that originally started at $100k+. I’m still on the fence about a warranty, but there’s a reason these are sold, and most buyers will never come close to spending enough on repairs to recoup the cost.

When I transferred the car to my Tesla account I was able to chat with the Tesla people and they told me the door handles were all replaced, and at some point the motor was replaced fairly early in the original ownership process, which I learned was pretty common for the early models. It also had a 12V replaced along the road as well.

I will add that it wasn’t possible for me to ascertain if there was any battery degeneration on the car from Carvana, but knowing how stable these batteries are, I wasn’t really worried, and that portion of the car if the battery is bad is still under warranty by Tesla.

Thankfully, the car has a max charge of 261 miles out of the original 265, which is only about a 1.5% loss. Simply incredible. Tesla engineers deserve a medal.

When I transferred the car to my Tesla account I was able to chat with the Tesla people and they told me the door handles were all replaced, and at some point the motor was replaced fairly early in the original ownership process, which I learned was pretty common for the early models. It also had a 12V replaced along the road as well.

Being able to find out the history of your car from Tesla might in and of itself be another perk of buying a used Tesla from a 3rd party.

One warning about Carvana for buyers. About a month after I sold my MS to Carvana, I received a notification on my Tesla app that the battery was very low, and eventually died. A week later I got another notification that Tesla service was complete and that my car was ready for pickup. No way to know how your battery was treated while the car was waiting for prep.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Riburn3
One warning about Carvana for buyers. About a month after I sold my MS to Carvana, I received a notification on my Tesla app that the battery was very low, and eventually died. A week later I got another notification that Tesla service was complete and that my car was ready for pickup. No way to know how your battery was treated while the car was waiting for prep.

Absolutely this. My battery had 35% charge on it and it was a huge concern for me before I picked it up having heard others with similar warnings here. My car was in their system for just a week when I placed my order and I waited another 4 days for delivery so a percentage or two of phantom drain can occur each day, and if the previous owner dropped it low, you’re in trouble.

The guy at Carvana told me they got an email specifically regarding EV’s to do routine battery checks while they sit around for purchase and they can charge them if necessary, so at least they sound cognizant of the issue. Thankfully, if they do screw it up they’re on the hook for whatever damage they did.

For you north Texas people, I’ve discovered a Tesla reseller in Carrollton who has a huge number of Tesla’s that they’ve obtained from Tesla as lease returns and trade-ins. Because Tesla can’t resell those cars in Texas they sell them to these folks. I learned of them when I volunteered to examine a Model S there for a forum member who was out of state.

Auto Centrix | Pre-owned Dealer | Carrollton, Texas

• Informative
Reactions: Riburn3
I just checked out Carvana's site. The automatic loan calculator freaked me out LOL!!! It has like 16.99% interest with excellent credit and 20+k down...... I was wondering how my payments were so high for an 2014.....

I just checked out Carvana's site. The automatic loan calculator freaked me out LOL!!! It has like 16.99% interest with excellent credit and 20+k down...... I was wondering how my payments were so high for an 2014.....

Yeah it’s totally not accurate. Until you get prequalified the numbers on their loan calculator are outrageous, even after you adjust your income.

Once I actually did the prequalification my minimum downpayment went down to 0 and the interest rate improved. Obviously everyone is different but their asking for 25% plus downpayment is totally out of the norm (although still smart if you can afford it).

Reactions: byeLT4
@rimburn3 Congrats on your Carvana gem. Hopefully you're still 100% satisfied?

I'm in the process of buying a 2015 MS 70D through Carvana, and your post has eased some apprehension that has been building while awaiting delivery (delayed until 9/8). The main drawback of Carvana is that remote buyers and all the customer service reps you'll be dealing with have not and cannot see the car in person to answer very basic questions. Plus, you do not have a direct line to any one Carvana rep, which makes it tougher to ask questions and get quick answers. To top it off, Tesla won't answer any questions until I've taken ownership.

So, I think I've found a great car (and a steal) on Carvana, but I won't really know until it's in my driveway. I'll update during and after the process if anyone cares to know the outcome!