Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carwash won't wash Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Model 3 to the carwash I have used many times before and the attendant showed me a sign that they will no longer wash Model 3s. I asked her why and she said they lock by themselves, they play loud music by themselves and they sometimes stop in the tunnel.

The first time I took my 3 there I asked if they knew about the cars, how to put them in neutral and how to open the doors, things that are different than on ICE cars. They said they knew about the cars and I never had a problem there before.

This is in the East Bay near San Francisco. There are a lot if Model 3s here. I find it strange that a carwash that charges $25.95 for a basic was would turn that business away. Now I need to find a new place. I had been using that one for 20 years with all my cars over that time.

Good bye Autopia Carwash!

Which Autopia? I use Walnut Creek and have no issues with my 3 or my wife's S (...and have been going there for 6 years). I even have the monthly plan.

I took my Model 3 to the carwash I have used many times before and the attendant showed me a sign that they will no longer wash Model 3s. I asked her why and she said they lock by themselves, they play loud music by themselves and they sometimes stop in the tunnel.

The first time I took my 3 there I asked if they knew about the cars, how to put them in neutral and how to open the doors, things that are different than on ICE cars. They said they knew about the cars and I never had a problem there before.

This is in the East Bay near San Francisco. There are a lot if Model 3s here. I find it strange that a carwash that charges $25.95 for a basic was would turn that business away. Now I need to find a new place. I had been using that one for 20 years with all my cars over that time.

Good bye Autopia Carwash!

They're doing your paint a favor by turning you away.

For many reasons you’ll find all over the web, bad idea to take a Tesla or any other car with “soft paint” through anything but a touch less car wash. I would NEVER let the people at Autopia or anywhere else run their filthy rags that have been laying on the ground all over my car. Try one of the newer touchless ones. In Livermore I like the Chevron on 1st street. There is a similar one off Hacienda in Dublin.

Just a note on Autopia-which I have been using for 6 years on 3 Teslas (...yes, all originally professionally paint corrected and coated with cQuartz). They do not use dirty rags laying on the ground. They wash the rags after every use. They spin them damp dry---they do not use a dry towel on the paint. They have separate color coded towels for body work (blue), wheels & tires (red), glass (yellow microfiber), and wax/polish (pink). The cars all get an initial pressure rinse to remove heavy dirt. The wheels get a pre-wash cleaner spray. The wash team uses the artificial lambs wool mitts dipped into the huge tub of soapy water. Not ideal (maybe there is some grit on the mitts). Then the car gets pressure rinsed. The car is then dried with towels and compressed air. I would challenge you to look at the appearance and paint on our cars (daily drivers) which get washed 1-2 times a week at Autopia--virtually perfect. And touchless washes using soap and water rinse often do not dislodge the dirt, especially if your paint has not been protected with wax or a SiC polymer.

Note--I am not an owner/investor in Autopia. But for a 'commercial' car wash, I think that they do a very respectable job, and for $49.95 for a monthly subscription for a full interior vacuum/window cleaning, and exterior wash & dry, I think they are well worth it. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
So my local hand wash place that uses the conveyor belt system requires the driver to exit. So, I drive up, the same guy gets in and spends a minute or two trying to get the system to stay in Transport (Tow) Mode. He waits to see if it works, and nope, the car lifts over the puller. So he keeps trying. Finally it works and the car free rolls through. They hate Teslas. They considered banning them. This is honestly the worst part of ownership. My only anxiety.

I wish they would just let the car free roll in Neutral after you exit, like an ICE. No need for extra modes.

The car does lock. Once it gets a certain distance from me it locks and so I have to make sure to unlock it via app when it gets to the end of the line. I leave a Key Card in the cup holder so they can turn the car back on.

Just a note on Autopia-which I have been using for 6 years on 3 Teslas (...yes, all originally professionally paint corrected and coated with cQuartz). They do not use dirty rags laying on the ground. They wash the rags after every use. They spin them damp dry---they do not use a dry towel on the paint. They have separate color coded towels for body work (blue), wheels & tires (red), glass (yellow microfiber), and wax/polish (pink). The cars all get an initial pressure rinse to remove heavy dirt. The wheels get a pre-wash cleaner spray. The wash team uses the artificial lambs wool mitts dipped into the huge tub of soapy water. Not ideal (maybe there is some grit on the mitts). Then the car gets pressure rinsed. The car is then dried with towels and compressed air. I would challenge you to look at the appearance and paint on our cars (daily drivers) which get washed 1-2 times a week at Autopia--virtually perfect. And touchless washes using soap and water rinse often do not dislodge the dirt, especially if your paint has not been protected with wax or a SiC polymer.

Note--I am not an owner/investor in Autopia. But for a 'commercial' car wash, I think that they do a very respectable job, and for $49.95 for a monthly subscription for a full interior vacuum/window cleaning, and exterior wash & dry, I think they are well worth it. YMMV.

Fair points - I have observed different practices at the Dublin, CA location. I have MDS out of San Ramon come do on-site detailing for a pretty reasonable price every 3-4 months for a full interior/exterior detail.

Our local hand car wash (which does a great job) has an automated conveyor system... seems ideal for the Model 3, right?

Usually you drive up, get out, go inside to pay, they roll the car through and do a hand wash.

Except, they don't allow that for Teslas... now I have to pull up, run into the building very quickly, pay, come back outside, and they send me through sitting in the car. Won't allow it through, even in Transport Mode, on its own.

Bizarre experience ... understandable, but bizarre.

What car wash?

Just wash the damn thing yourself? Park get out.. pop in your coins.. and spray.. You will be fine.
We don't really have those, and not everyone can wash at their home or apartment. Plus, good luck in the winter, when the car is full of salt or sand, and it's 30 degrees outside. You need a car wash place.

This is nothing new to the Model 3.... I've owned various vehicles that all shift to Park when you lift off the seat or unbuckle... most car washes are aware of this and simply ride inside the car. Sounds like a car wash you'd want to avoid if they're not familiar with this...

We don't really have those, and not everyone can wash at their home or apartment. Plus, good luck in the winter, when the car is full of salt or sand, and it's 30 degrees outside. You need a car wash place.

Touche. Never thought about the winter. I'm in cali and don't have an understanding of what that would be like. I was going to recommend the washless wax spray, but that wouldn't be a good idea in the snow either. Good luck!

Reactions: Snow Drift
Touche. Never thought about the winter. I'm in cali and don't have an understanding of what that would be like. I was going to recommend the washless wax spray, but that wouldn't be a good idea in the snow either. Good luck!

Humbug...

30 degrees is survivable. Yes, a hat, fishing gloves and a jacket are adequate. You go to a self wash, spray the car from 3-4 feet with water at low power. Then use microfiber towels and ONR( Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine). An empty bucket for used microfiber towels ( Costco), a 32 oz mix of water and ONR in a spray bottle and you’re done in 30 minutes. Yeah, you spray ONR on, wipe it off, then with clean towel dry it, one panel at a time. Throw the used towel in a bucket, grab two more, repeat.

Below 10 degrees with wind is a pain because the wash bay is full of chunks of ice from pickups... those hurt when kicked as they tend to freeze to the ground.

In summary, hand washing is fast and easy with a Model 3. And recommended in the owner’s manual...

Humbug...

30 degrees is survivable. Yes, a hat, fishing gloves and a jacket are adequate. You go to a self wash, spray the car from 3-4 feet with water at low power. Then use microfiber towels and ONR( Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine). An empty bucket for used microfiber towels ( Costco), a 32 oz mix of water and ONR in a spray bottle and you’re done in 30 minutes. Yeah, you spray ONR on, wipe it off, then with clean towel dry it, one panel at a time. Throw the used towel in a bucket, grab two more, repeat.

Below 10 degrees with wind is a pain because the wash bay is full of chunks of ice from pickups... those hurt when kicked as they tend to freeze to the ground.

In summary, hand washing is fast and easy with a Model 3. And recommended in the owner’s manual...
Agreed it is better. Unfortunately, I can only find 1 self-service car wash on Long Island and it is 30 min away. I used to do it growing up in the driveway. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment now.

Update for the SF Bay Area folks using (...or previously using) Autopia. I was at my Walnut Creek location this afternoon and discussed the issue with senior staff there. They indeed have changed their policy on Model 3 at all locations except Walnut Creek, where they also do 'off line' washes (not using the tunnel). FWIW I have done off line washes there for 6 years on Model S and 3. Here is the issue:

Apparently, with S and X, the staff has historically been able to put the vehicle into Tow Mode and it stays in tow mode until disabled. So S and X can go the length of the tunnel without an issue. There is a change with Model 3 (...and I recall this has something to do with the new front motor design). Even if the car wash folks (....or your friendly tow truck driver) put the Model 3 into Tow Mode, it only stays in Tow Mode for like 10 feet. The wheel/motor/transmission sensors then put the car into Park and lock the drivetrain (..and I sort of recall that this is to protect the new design motor). So with this issue, and the fact that the car wash folks cannot keep the Model 3 in tow mode, and do not want to have to sit in the car in Neutral, and do not want to allow the customer to sit in the car in the tunnel (can you say: liability?), the Autopia locations just won't wash Model 3 in the tunnel anymore.

This of course raises the issue with the new Raven refresh, which as I recall uses the new motor design up front. I would have to assume that the firmware has been updated to severely restrict Tow Mode to prevent motor damage, so these cars won't work in the tunnel either. And how is the car wash supposed to know when the motor/drivetrain was changed and which Model S or X are OK? Gonna be a real PITA.

Reactions: Pkmmte and RScottyL