Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cat problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a bit of a problem. A couple years ago a stray cat decided to make our home her home. The problem is it appears cats and electric cars do not mix well. Because my car is so quiet the cat has no fear of it. She will run under it while it moving—sometimes she will even chase it down the driveway. She has a really bad habit of running under it when backing up. Sounding the horn has no effect. I’m afraid one day she’s gonna get crushed. Has anyone found any solution to this type of problem? See video for an example of what she does.

I’ve got a bit of a problem. A couple years ago a stray cat decided to make our home her home. The problem is it appears cats and electric cars do not mix well. Because my car is so quiet the cat has no fear of it. She will run under it while it moving—sometimes she will even chase it down the driveway. She has a really bad habit of running under it when backing up. Sounding the horn has no effect. I’m afraid one day she’s gonna get crushed. Has anyone found any solution to this type of problem? See video for an example of what she does.
And here I thought you were having a problem with part of your exhaust system...:)

The cat that is next to me as I type this was a feral last year and would sit under our cars, one of which is also electric and noiseless. I'd have to look under each car every time I was about to drive away, and was glad to do so for his safety. His other sister (or brother?) is still a feral out there and I still need to look. If they dart under while you're moving, I don't have any advice for you other than to keep a peek at the backup cam and surroundings. Hoping for you and the kitty there isn't an accident.

We have 2 cats, both a bit scared of the electric car but getting less so. We just check under the car behind the wheels and then simply drive slowly down the driveway. It's the initial movement that might take the cat by surprise, IMHO. A cat that then throws itself under the wheels has definitely got a death wish.

Your cat does seem to have a problem!

My worry is that, in a hurry, I'll just get in and accelerate quickly and squish a cat.

Go slowly. Can't think of anything else obvious to do.

What about a motion activated ultrasonic cat repellant for the garden? Aim it so opening the driver's door triggers the motion detector, giving the cat enough time to move away from the car. The unpleasant sound that only the cat (and the neighbor's dog) can hear may convince the cat to avoid the driveway long enough for you to drive away.

Do Ultrasonic Cat Repellents Work? | Best Cat Repellent Guide

I have the same issue as OP and purchased this, but it only worked for the first month or so, after a while, they got 'immune' to it, and just bear the sound. I thought it was getting weak from constant use and put new batteries in but they still just learned to tolerate it and ignore it now.

The only other thing that has worked for me is the motion activated air spray can (here). They definitely don't like getting hit with the can of spray. Only problem is it's very 'targeted' so you have to possibly buy multiple to get this to work for you in the garage. (plus a lot of false triggers when you're roaming around)

I have the same issue as OP and purchased this, but it only worked for the first month or so, after a while, they got 'immune' to it, and just bear the sound. I thought it was getting weak from constant use and put new batteries in but they still just learned to tolerate it and ignore it now.

The only other thing that has worked for me is the motion activated air spray can (here). They definitely don't like getting hit with the can of spray. Only problem is it's very 'targeted' so you have to possibly buy multiple to get this to work for you in the garage. (plus a lot of false triggers when you're roaming around)

compressed air might not be a bad idea. It would be hard to do the motion activated but I could carry a can of it and use it to scare the cat and hopefully give her a fear of the car. The thing is, she will run and meet the car at the driveway and run under it. I have to open the door and call her and she will come out, then nine times out of 10, as soon as the car makes the slightest movement in reversed she will dart back under it. The only other thing that works is to carry a few cheese it snack crackers with me, she loves them, and throw one out the window so she goes after it. However, I think that just encourages her to keep doing what she’s doing.

Cats can hear mice breathing, and can certainly hear the tire noise. cats can hear much higher-pitched sounds, up to 64 kHz, which is 1.6 octaves above the range of a human, and even 1 octave above the range of a dog.

My dog appears to run at the car as soon as the garage door opens but she sees the car and is in no danger even if I can't see where she is.

Cats sitting on a warm tire or an ice engine block are the ones in danger.

compressed air might not be a bad idea. It would be hard to do the motion activated but I could carry a can of it and use it to scare the cat and hopefully give her a fear of the car. The thing is, she will run and meet the car at the driveway and run under it. I have to open the door and call her and she will come out, then nine times out of 10, as soon as the car makes the slightest movement in reversed she will dart back under it. The only other thing that works is to carry a few cheese it snack crackers with me, she loves them, and throw one out the window so she goes after it. However, I think that just encourages her to keep doing what she’s doing.
Uh oh, she’s associating the car with this fun cheese snack game. Since you’ve adopted her, maybe you can change the game so the car isn’t part of the routine. Maybe for a few weeks, lure her with cheese snacks, play with a toy until the needs to catch her breath, then leave while she’s resting safely. My mother ran over one of our cats that was enjoying the shade under the car when I was growing up, so I feel your quandary. The cat was young and cartilage-y and the car was much lighter than our Teslas, so it survived the experience. After a few months of avoiding the car, it was back to laying under the car again, so whatever you do, you’ll have to be consistent and vigilant. Good luck!

Reactions: jjrandorin