Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV Decal 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd wait, but keep in mind:

The CAV Decal Program is subject to authorization by the Federal Highway Administration. If authorization is not granted, the program may end sooner than specified in state law.
  • Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by the California Department of Transportation and federal law for all CAVs carrying fewer occupants than the posted minimum requirement, if their presence contributes to increased traffic congestion, increased travel times, decreased sustained travel speeds, or other factors affecting any carpool lane or segment of that lane.

Reactions: cwerdna
Did you apply for the California Clean Vehicle Rebate? My understanding is that you can’t get both the sticker and the rebate. It’s one or the other.

I did apply for Clean vehicle rebate. You are right but only applies to those who make more than $150k single or $300k joint. Since I'm under, I'm ok to apply for both rebate and decal.

I just need to find out when I can apply for 2020 decal, since it takes about 2 months. I wonder if application date comes in effect or receiving date..

Reactions: cwerdna
I did apply for Clean vehicle rebate. You are right but only applies to those who make more than $150k single or $300k joint. Since I'm under, I'm ok to apply for both rebate and decal.

I just need to find out when I can apply for 2020 decal, since it takes about 2 months. I wonder if application date comes in effect or receiving date..
You learn something new every day!

Looking at the CA DMV site, the current decal (purple) expires in Jan of 2023. So why would one need to wait?

Since we have no information on 2020 sticker, it is all just guessing/hoping (and I doubt this program will be terminated per warning.. just hoping it wont get worse).
Currently you have 4 years essentially. so you have 2020/2021/2022 (36 months) (ends jan 2023) and what's left of 2019 (2 months)
so if all stays the same... and we apply first thing 2020. it would expire jan 2024 so we have a full 4 years.2020 2021 2022 2023 (48 months vs 38 months if we take the 2019 sticker)

Looking at the CA DMV site, the current decal (purple) expires in Jan of 2023. So why would one need to wait?

Since we have no information on 2020 sticker, it is all just guessing/hoping (and I doubt this program will be terminated per warning.. just hoping it wont get worse).
Currently you have 4 years essentially. so you have 2020/2021/2022 (36 months) (ends jan 2023) and what's left of 2019 (2 months)
so if all stays the same... and we apply first thing 2020. it would expire jan 2024 so we have a full 4 years.2020 2021 2022 2023 (48 months vs 38 months if we take the 2019 sticker)

When I got my car exactly a year ago, i waited until January 2019 to apply to get extra year. Due to overwhelming amount of applications, CA DMV fell way behind and it took over a month to get stickers. The only way was to physically mail them in. Many waited until January to get "extra year" As of now, it will likely will happen, but as others posted, this program can be terminated and waiting would be a waste. Check out other threads here we people also buy clear film for stickers or magnets, etc so when they expire its easy to take them off.

Yep.

Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board spells out the validity periods.

I'm not sure if I should report this thread so it gets moved to the CA area as it's still in the wrong area. It's CA specific and not specific to the Model 3 nor any Tesla.