Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV Decal 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So has anyone pulled the trigger yet mailing app in?
I’m thinking Monday before Xmas. Kind of a conservative date as I can’t see much mail being opened between Xmas and New Years.

Once I see someone got a 2020 decal with a pic then changing mail date:)

You would think they would be smart and start 2020 applications and processing in late November to prevent backlog. Who in their right mind would submit an application now so they would lose 1 year HOV access? —(I'm aware HOV access can be revoked at anytime)

I don't believe people think about losing that year. They want their sticker now. I suppose if you are in terrible traffic every day getting access two months sooner is tempting. Also if you are leasing 2-3 years (which is likely very common for EVs) waiting means lost HOV access time.

For the REG 1000 form, when it asks for a license plate number, what should I put there if I haven't received my permanent plates yet? Should I put the temporary plate number instead?
You are supposed to use your permanent plate number. When you get your stickers you will also get paperwork that shows your license plate number and the number on the HOV stickers. If the numbers don't match up I suppose you could be cited although the VIN should be on there too. Since new stickers should be coming out for 2020 I'd wait and apply for these for an extra year of access. No idea if that means you have to wait and apply in 2020 though.

What if you want the black California legacy plates? My understanding from Tesla is that the regular white plates will come first and then you have to apply for the black plates. So for the HOV sticker I'm supposed to wait for the black plates to come before applying?

upload_2019-12-12_15-51-10.png

Seems it is just paperwork to update your license plate number. But not sure how important it is considering the VIN is atttached the the decal number as well as the license plate number.

What if you want the black California legacy plates? My understanding from Tesla is that the regular white plates will come first and then you have to apply for the black plates. So for the HOV sticker I'm supposed to wait for the black plates to come before applying?

You can apply now and get the HOV sticker. When you apply to get the legacy plate, you will be asked to pick it up at a DMV. When you pick up your black plates (turning in your white ones), they will give you a new registration that actually has your Decal # on the car's registration so you can keep the same decals on your car.

But I would wait until next year to get the new color of decal for one extra year.

Reactions: jmcmill
View attachment 487643
Seems it is just paperwork to update your license plate number. But not sure how important it is considering the VIN is atttached the the decal number as well as the license plate number.

I didn't have to do any paperwork when I changed to legacy plate last year. The decal info was automatically transferred to the new registration paper when they give it to me along with the black plates.

I've heard some cases where sending the application/check prior to 2020 let's say will cause 2019 stickers. anyone heard of this?

No words on the 2020 stickers yet as of today, seems like it'll be announced in 2020 as holidays are coming up.