Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV Decal 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Tmoh3 I did get the PPF. After @jkoya 's message, I am probably more inclined to get the clean-clings instead.

And, I agree with @AZjohnInCA, I don't see any reviews for the protective films after 4 years of usage. Of course, my friend said he did see someone remove it after a year or so and it came out clean. So 4 years MIGHT not be different. Still contemplating.
FWIW, I put 3M PPF under the green stickers of our PHEV in 2014. When the green stickers expired end of 2018, I was able to peel them off without a problem. I used the same PPF on my Model 3 as well.

I would not apply the stickers to the car directly, since they are made to fall apart when you try to remove them. I'd also be hesitant to use "cling" or magnetic sheets unless you are willing to put them on and off every day (since otherwise they'll probably get stolen at some point and it takes months to get replacements).

I was thinking (I know, it's dangerous....), With my M3 there is a black painted strip under front and back bumpers. If I mounted front and back stickers there (the small decals with PPF between) I bet it would be a lot cheaper to re-paint that area instead of the whole white bumpers if needed in 4 years. Any thoughts/comments?

I really don't want to install the big ass ones on the rear sides of my car for multiple reasons and willing to take a chance for a ticket for that.

Update:

I called and requested additional information about my application. So, I'm unlucky with this one! During my application processing, the CA DMV system crashed!! and they're fixing the issue with a few applicants. The representative confirmed the below:

- No exact number of applicants affected was given and it honestly could be anyone they attempted to process on the same date the system crashed.
- CA Special Processing Unit has received my application and approved the application
- CA Special Processing Unit is working on processing payment and this should be cleared up in 3-5 business days (Hopefully)
- CA Special Processing Unit will not send my CA HOV Stickers until payment can be processed and they require no additional information from me at this time.

So, basically I can call back on Tues. to check if I do not see the payment processed. But, once I see the payment processed it should take 3-5 business days to receive my HOV stickers.

The rep also stated, he/she highly recommends people send via USPS CM so they can give tracking information as they're receiving a LARGE number of applicants and things can get "misplaced/lost". It will keep them accountable the representative stated.

GOODLUCK to all who got their check already CASHED!

Wife just looked and both of our checks for HOV stickers were cashed today. Seems like they cashed a boat load of checks today.

Mailed both of our applications Dec 22.with just temp plates/registration and VIN's (did not wait for permanent plates).

Even though I'm unlucky and mine hasn't been cashed. I just ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NK8S13G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I do not think 2019 and 2020 stickers have changed in size from my research.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Wife just looked and both of our checks for HOV stickers were cashed today. Seems like they cashed a boat load of checks today.

Mailed both of our applications Dec 22.with just temp plates/registration and VIN's (did not wait for permanent plates).

i really should have done this, i don't know why i decided i had to wait for the plates. by the time i woke up the plates had arrived.

well, even if it takes 2 months to get the orange stickers, it will be OK as we still have a bolt with red stickers until late march.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
FWIW, I put 3M PPF under the green stickers of our PHEV in 2014. When the green stickers expired end of 2018, I was able to peel them off without a problem. I used the same PPF on my Model 3 as well.

I would not apply the stickers to the car directly, since they are made to fall apart when you try to remove them. I'd also be hesitant to use "cling" or magnetic sheets unless you are willing to put them on and off every day (since otherwise they'll probably get stolen at some point and it takes months to get replacements).

@Eno Deb Thanks for that info. If it comes off without much pain, I might do the 3M PPF (delivered just today). I am sloppy at remembering stuff and I can see myself forgetting to remove the clings. Not sure if anyone would try peeling/stealing them off, but you never know.

Ready to drive though SAC with my San Francisco Giants stickers.

IMG_20200117_100754.jpg