Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
random rumour I'm starting: September 22nd, Tesla will announce they are shifting to CCS1 in North America for future models, simulatenously announcing a CCS to Tesla adaptor for all existing cars. Elon is quoted is saying he will announce "a lot of things"... why not that?;)

Maybe the adapter. Tesla gains nothing from converting to CCS, and loses quite a bit. They only did it in Europe because EU regulations forced them to.

Maybe the adapter. Tesla gains nothing from converting to CCS, and loses quite a bit. They only did it in Europe because EU regulations forced them to.
Yeah, I second that statement. The Tesla charge port design is better than CCS in nearly every way (not least to mention size and awkwardness). The cost to retrofit all the cars in North America plus the supercharger stations would be tremendous. While I am still hopeful for a CCS adapter in the future, I finally bit the bullet and bought a CHADEMO adapter in the meantime. My province has a ton of free level 3 chargers and I can recoup the $600 in a year or two by my math. If CCS comes along I might buy one too, depending on the max power it can handle. CHAD seems limited to about 48kW max, and that's only around 70% SoC or so, since it is dependent on your battery voltage and the amp limits of the adapter.

Yeah, I second that statement. The Tesla charge port design is better than CCS in nearly every way (not least to mention size and awkwardness). The cost to retrofit all the cars in North America plus the supercharger stations would be tremendous. While I am still hopeful for a CCS adapter in the future, I finally bit the bullet and bought a CHADEMO adapter in the meantime. My province has a ton of free level 3 chargers and I can recoup the $600 in a year or two by my math. If CCS comes along I might buy one too, depending on the max power it can handle. CHAD seems limited to about 48kW max, and that's only around 70% SoC or so, since it is dependent on your battery voltage and the amp limits of the adapter.

We have the same experience with our Chademo adapter. We are thankful for it but would love to see a higher power version or CCS adapter.

cheers.

We have the same experience with our Chademo adapter. We are thankful for it but would love to see a higher power version or CCS adapter.

cheers.
The good thing about having an SR+ is it is super efficient and has a tiny 50kWh battery, so a full charge only takes just over an hour. With the Model S or X, I feel like the CHAD adapter would be painfully slow, whereas for me a supercharging visit only really saves about 20 minutes, which is pretty small in the big picture.

The good thing about having an SR+ is it is super efficient and has a tiny 50kWh battery, so a full charge only takes just over an hour. With the Model S or X, I feel like the CHAD adapter would be painfully slow, whereas for me a supercharging visit only really saves about 20 minutes, which is pretty small in the big picture.

The SRplus is the best bang for your buck in the Tesla family. We ended up doing the AWD because we thought it would be more convenient for some of our longer trips. But one of our neighbours does the same trips with no issues. No regrets. We love it. But the plus would have been fine.

I wish the plus was available with AWD.

Cheers.

The SRplus is the best bang for your buck in the Tesla family. We ended up doing the AWD because we thought it would be more convenient for some of our longer trips. But one of our neighbours does the same trips with no issues. No regrets. We love it. But the plus would have been fine.

I wish the plus was available with AWD.

Cheers.
I'm guessing you're not in BC, but we had a combined $10,000 in incentives that made the SR+ an unbeatable deal (you couldn't get the provincial rebate on any other trim option). I really wanted AWD too, but honestly I don't remotely need it since we get snow about twice a year, and only for a few days. I don't even have winter tires. I've since upgrade the sound system and interior lighting so it's got the full "premium" interior.

As for long trips, I've been down to Vegas in my SR+ and had no issues during the ~5,500km round trip. Still, the AWD must be amazing in the snowy weather the rest of the country gets.

I'm guessing you're not in BC, but we had a combined $10,000 in incentives that made the SR+ an unbeatable deal (you couldn't get the provincial rebate on any other trim option). I really wanted AWD too, but honestly I don't remotely need it since we get snow about twice a year, and only for a few days. I don't even have winter tires. I've since upgrade the sound system and interior lighting so it's got the full "premium" interior.

As for long trips, I've been down to Vegas in my SR+ and had no issues during the ~5,500km round trip. Still, the AWD must be amazing in the snowy weather the rest of the country gets.

We actually are in BC. And yah that incentive was tempting. :). It’s all good. We got my wife’s (and mine) dream car. It’s all good. Kudos on that Vegas trip. That was supposed to happen in October before the virus. Going to have to wait now.
Are you in the Okanagan valley?

We actually are in BC. And yah that incentive was tempting. :). It’s all good. We got my wife’s (and mine) dream car. It’s all good. Kudos on that Vegas trip. That was supposed to happen in October before the virus. Going to have to wait now.
Are you in the Okanagan valley?
Nah, I'm on vancouver island, gonna be heading through the valley soon though. Going up to Fort McMurray to see a friend's new baby. Gonna need to stock up on masks and hand sanitizer, first time traveling during since the pandemic started. Alberta is certainly lacking in EV infrastructure, so it'd be an interesting trip at the best of times, but no way I'm getting in a plane now!

Tesla gains nothing from converting to CCS, and loses quite a bit.

They gain their customers having access to all CCS chargers in addition to Tesla's superchargers. That's a pretty good improvement for those of us that live in areas with lots of CCS chargers and almost no superchargers.

What do you feel they lose by adopting CCS? It's quite a good standard.

The Tesla charge port design is better than CCS in nearly every way (not least to mention size and awkwardness).

The only advantage that Tesla's connector has over CCS Combo 1 is a smaller connector. CCS is superior in nearly every other way. Tesla's connector is 100% compatible with J117s, so the only difference is the DC pins and the CCS protocol.

The cost to retrofit all the cars in North America

They wouldn't do this for free, they'd charge customers. Just like they did in Europe. So there's no cost associated with this.

plus the supercharger stations would be tremendous.

Supercharger stations can have an additional outlet added to them. Again, exactly like Europe. So there's certainly cost associated with this, but it's not what I'd consider tremendous. It's a cable.

They gain their customers having access to all CCS chargers in addition to Tesla's superchargers. That's a pretty good improvement for those of us that live in areas with lots of CCS chargers and almost no superchargers.

That may indeed be useful to Tesla owners someday. Right now, it just isn't.

There aren't that many locations, they are mostly much slower 50 kW (or even 24 kW) locations, and they aren't very reliable.

Oh, and the biggest network just decided to shut down several hundred miles of sites for "routine upgrades" halfway through a major travel holiday weekend with minimal notice.

And Tesla can always give this benefit to their customers without any of the drawbacks by offering a CCS adapter if they so choose.

The only advantage that Tesla's connector has over CCS Combo 1 is a smaller connector. CCS is superior in nearly every other way. Tesla's connector is 100% compatible with J117s, so the only difference is the DC pins and the CCS protocol.

They lose control of the standard, and the ability to roll out OTA upgrades to it at will.

They have to retrofit nearly nine hundred locations and thousands of stalls to match the CCS plugs

They have to retrofit half a million cars to the new standard - which will be a significant challenge for the S/X, since the tail light charge plug location and hole in the aluminum structure aren't nearly large enough for a CCS plug.

The CCS plug is larger and inherently more complicated with elctromechanical moving parts in the plug required for standard implementation and thus presumably significantly more expensive to manufacture.

The CCS plug is substantially more annoying for the user, without the easy inside the hand grip and self aligning features of the TSLA-01.

The CCS plug requires a secondary cover over the DC pins during AC charging, which means an extra step for the user on DC fast charging to remove it.

The smaller, simpler plug Tesla uses certainly is an advantage. What did you imagine the "nearly every other way" that CCS is superior in to be?

They wouldn't do this for free, they'd charge customers. Just like they did in Europe. So there's no cost associated with this.

Supercharger stations can have an additional outlet added to them. Again, exactly like Europe. So there's certainly cost associated with this, but it's not what I'd consider tremendous. It's a cable.

So you'd like this wholly unnecessary cost to be passed on to all of the current Tesla owners, which makes it "free," except for retrofitting several thousand locations?

I haven't seen anything to change my opinion that Tesla and Tesla owners gain nothing from doing such a change, and it will cost both significantly.

Europe was differently from a technical standpoint (the cars already used Type 2 plugs because of rules there and the need for three phase charging, so the plugs were already larger and more expensive/annoying to use, and Type 2 CCS doesn't require the electromechanical locks in the plugs.)

But more importantly, Europe wasn't a strategic choice by Tesla based on them seeing value in the CCS2 plug for their cars. It was a regulatory requirement that said "if you sell a new electric car model in the EU, it must be equipped with CCS2" which Tesla complied with.

That may indeed be useful to Tesla owners someday. Right now, it just isn't.

Like I said, for those of us that don't have superchargers readily available, it absolutely is. And that covers a massive amount of North America.

There aren't that many locations, they are mostly much slower 50 kW (or even 24 kW) locations, and they aren't very reliable.

There are locations where Tesla doesn't have them. Which is a pretty critical point you're missing. And who cares what speed they are? It's faster than AC charging and available to the public. When there isn't an alternative, it doesn't much matter how it compares to a charger that doesn't exist.

CCS chargers near me have operated flawlessly for 4 years or so. You don't have data to back up a reliability claim, and the reliability has nothing at all to do with the connector type.

Oh, and the biggest network just decided to shut down several hundred miles of sites for "routine upgrades" halfway through a major travel holiday weekend with minimal notice.

I don't see how this is an adapter's fault. If consumers can use whatever chargers are available to them, they'll have a better experience. You're trying pretty hard to make up reasons that isn't true.

And Tesla can always give this benefit to their customers without any of the drawbacks by offering a CCS adapter if they so choose.

Ahem. Check the title of this thread.

They lose control of the standard, and the ability to roll out OTA upgrades to it at will.

This isn't true in any sense. They already use the signalling and pins for J1772. Which is why they have the adapter for it. It's a straight-through connector. Also, Tesla has been part of CharIn for quite a few years and has contributed to multiple efforts including the heavy vehicle DC charging efforts currently under way.

They have to retrofit nearly nine hundred locations and thousands of stalls to match the CCS plugs

...which they can do as they perform routine upgrades or repairs. Just like they initially did in Europe.

They have to retrofit half a million cars to the new standard - which will be a significant challenge for the S/X, since the tail light charge plug location and hole in the aluminum structure aren't nearly large enough for a CCS plug.

They don't have to retrofit anything if customers don't buy a retrofit kit. Again. Europe. This has already happened, and you're totally ignoring it.

The CCS plug is larger and inherently more complicated with elctromechanical moving parts in the plug required for standard implementation and thus presumably significantly more expensive to manufacture.

Ok, so, at this point I'm starting to understand that you don't know what is going on. Which is fine, but it makes you ill prepared to have this conversation. First and foremost, the connector isn't more complicated. It's actually significantly simpler. The electromechanical moving parts currently are inside your charge port on the car, so if you have a problem with them, I don't know what to tell you. Also, the CCS connector's button is a mechanical linkage that disconnects a latch. One of the simplest machines known to humankind- a pivot point.

And once more, anybody that has used the J1772 adapter has literally used this mechanism. Your complaints aren't well informed and you've obviously never used a CCS connector in North America.

The CCS plug is substantially more annoying for the user, without the easy inside the hand grip and self aligning features of the TSLA-01.

Please go to the CharIn website and download the CCS Combo spec. There are multiple self-alignment mechanisms in a Combo 1 connector, and the standard J1772 connector. You could not be farther from the truth here.

The CCS plug requires a secondary cover over the DC pins during AC charging, which means an extra step for the user on DC fast charging to remove it.

Those covers aren't required, and lost of cars don't have them.

The smaller, simpler plug Tesla uses certainly is an advantage. What did you imagine the "nearly every other way" that CCS is superior in to be?

Wider adopted standard by nearly the entire automotive industry.
Higher amperage and higher voltage delivery as part of the current spec.
Simpler to use plug, with an easy to grip handle, with less risk of snapping off the plastic alignment pins Tesla had to recall.
Dedicated AC and DC charge paths.
High speed data throughput as part of the spec (no need for wifi at a charge site).
Load balancing as part of the spec.
Multiple payment options as part of the spec (plug and charge like Tesla, and payment authorization to charge).
Builds on top of existing standards.

Those are just a few, but there are many more.

So you'd like this wholly unnecessary cost to be passed on to all of the current Tesla owners, which makes it "free," except for retrofitting several thousand locations?

If they want it. Like buying literally any other accessory for your car, you pay money for it. THERE IS NO NEED TO RETROFIT VEHICLES. And again, this has already happened successfully in Europe. So now Model 3 owners in the EU can charge on any network they happen to be near, or is cost advantageous to them. Alternatively, Tesla could choose to enable charging of other brands on their network to generate more revenue to continue their buildout. Which you can not do with your own proprietary connector nobody else wants to use.

I haven't seen anything to change my opinion that Tesla and Tesla owners gain nothing from doing such a change, and it will cost both significantly.

Cool. Go drive around in a part of North America that doesn't have superchargers and come talk to us then. In the mean time, having a charge adapter would be a massive benefit to us owners.

Europe was differently from a technical standpoint (the cars already used Type 2 plugs because of rules there and the need for three phase charging, so the plugs were already larger and more expensive/annoying to use, and Type 2 CCS doesn't require the electromechanical locks in the plugs.)

And here in North America, the Tesla connector is a modified version of J1772. You're also hung up on this locking mechanism thing, and I feel like maybe you've never seen a Tesla connector in use before. Because the car is where the locking mechanism is on our cars. The locking mechanism on a Combo 1 connector is literally a mechanical pivot. You've apparently never seen a J1772 AC charger or a Combo 1 charger before either.

This thread is about an ADAPTER in any case. So your fixation on anything else is irrelevant. We want an adapter. It would be great of Tesla transitioned to Combo 1 connectors, but we want an adapter. Just like the ChaDeMo adapter exists, we want a CCS Combo 1 adapter.

There are around 17,000 supercharger stalls in NA if I recall right. That may include some planned sites not built yet though. Even at a very, very conservative estimate of $1,000 per stall, you'd be looking at $17,000,000. Maybe not tremendous to Tesla, but at least fairly noticeable. I'd personally rather they developed a CCS adapter and spent that money so we could have something resembling okay customer service. One way they could mitigate the costs of the pedastal retrofit would be through allowing non Tesla's to charge at superchargers. However they haven't done this in Europe yet, and I can understand why, so I doubt it will happen anytime soon unless the EU legislates that too.

I would love to see Tesla switch to CCS ports, it might finally allow us to standardize EV charge ports. The Nissan Leaf is the best selling non Tesla EV and they finally announced they are ditching CHADEMO in the north american market. However I see why Tesla would be hesitant to do this. It's really just more money they have to spend (not to mention time) and there are few (if any) direct benefits for them. Meanwhile their customers will have more options to skip out on using the supercharger network, which despite Elon's promises is clearly now becoming a profit center. Heck in my province most of the non Tesla level 3 chargers are free. Only 50kW, but free. That will put a dent into your profit margins.

In the short term I don't see CHAD going anywhere so I bit the bullet and bought one, might as well get that free juice while it lasts. I am hopeful to one day see a CCS adapter, but until CCS stations above 50kW are common, it's hard for me to see many practical advantages it has over CHAD.

Also here is a funny video of some Germans charging non Tesla's at new V3 superchargers, haha. Someone is having a bad day at the Tesla HQ: Tesla V3 Superchargers Surprisingly Charge Other EVs For Free

Last edited:
The Nissan Leaf is the best selling non Tesla EV and they finally announced they are ditching CHADEMO in the north american market.
They did? Source?

They said that Ariya will be CCS for North America and Europe. It's not shipping anywhere yet.

I'm not aware of them "ditching" CHAdeMO for North America. So, either Leaf will go away or eventually go CCS in the US. I'm not sure that either of those have been announced yet. Or, future model years/generations could remain CHAdeMO for NA, which seems less likely once Ariya ships.
There are plenty of CCS locations in the US. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations claims there are 2,556 such sites in the US and 3,297 if you include Canada.

But yes, many are ~37 to ~50 kW. There aren't many that are ~"24" kW. Seems like everything that Electrify America is deploying on the CCS side is at least 150 kW.

I now to drive a car w/SAE Combo as my primary vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Like I said, for those of us that don't have superchargers readily available, it absolutely is. And that covers a massive amount of North America.

There are locations where Tesla doesn't have them. Which is a pretty critical point you're missing. And who cares what speed they are? It's faster than AC charging and available to the public. When there isn't an alternative, it doesn't much matter how it compares to a charger that doesn't exist.

CCS chargers near me have operated flawlessly for 4 years or so. You don't have data to back up a reliability claim, and the reliability has nothing at all to do with the connector type.

I don't see how this is an adapter's fault. If consumers can use whatever chargers are available to them, they'll have a better experience. You're trying pretty hard to make up reasons that isn't true.

Ahem. Check the title of this thread.

This isn't true in any sense. They already use the signalling and pins for J1772. Which is why they have the adapter for it. It's a straight-through connector. Also, Tesla has been part of CharIn for quite a few years and has contributed to multiple efforts including the heavy vehicle DC charging efforts currently under way.

...which they can do as they perform routine upgrades or repairs. Just like they initially did in Europe.

They don't have to retrofit anything if customers don't buy a retrofit kit. Again. Europe. This has already happened, and you're totally ignoring it.

Ok, so, at this point I'm starting to understand that you don't know what is going on. Which is fine, but it makes you ill prepared to have this conversation. First and foremost, the connector isn't more complicated. It's actually significantly simpler. The electromechanical moving parts currently are inside your charge port on the car, so if you have a problem with them, I don't know what to tell you. Also, the CCS connector's button is a mechanical linkage that disconnects a latch. One of the simplest machines known to humankind- a pivot point.

And once more, anybody that has used the J1772 adapter has literally used this mechanism. Your complaints aren't well informed and you've obviously never used a CCS connector in North America.

Please go to the CharIn website and download the CCS Combo spec. There are multiple self-alignment mechanisms in a Combo 1 connector, and the standard J1772 connector. You could not be farther from the truth here.

Those covers aren't required, and lost of cars don't have them.

Wider adopted standard by nearly the entire automotive industry.
Higher amperage and higher voltage delivery as part of the current spec.
Simpler to use plug, with an easy to grip handle, with less risk of snapping off the plastic alignment pins Tesla had to recall.
Dedicated AC and DC charge paths.
High speed data throughput as part of the spec (no need for wifi at a charge site).
Load balancing as part of the spec.
Multiple payment options as part of the spec (plug and charge like Tesla, and payment authorization to charge).
Builds on top of existing standards.

Those are just a few, but there are many more.

If they want it. Like buying literally any other accessory for your car, you pay money for it. THERE IS NO NEED TO RETROFIT VEHICLES. And again, this has already happened successfully in Europe. So now Model 3 owners in the EU can charge on any network they happen to be near, or is cost advantageous to them. Alternatively, Tesla could choose to enable charging of other brands on their network to generate more revenue to continue their buildout. Which you can not do with your own proprietary connector nobody else wants to use.

Cool. Go drive around in a part of North America that doesn't have superchargers and come talk to us then. In the mean time, having a charge adapter would be a massive benefit to us owners.

And here in North America, the Tesla connector is a modified version of J1772. You're also hung up on this locking mechanism thing, and I feel like maybe you've never seen a Tesla connector in use before. Because the car is where the locking mechanism is on our cars. The locking mechanism on a Combo 1 connector is literally a mechanical pivot. You've apparently never seen a J1772 AC charger or a Combo 1 charger before either.

This thread is about an ADAPTER in any case. So your fixation on anything else is irrelevant. We want an adapter. It would be great of Tesla transitioned to Combo 1 connectors, but we want an adapter. Just like the ChaDeMo adapter exists, we want a CCS Combo 1 adapter.

Well, it is certainly clear that one of us doesn’t understand what is going on. I still don’t believe that is me.

Have you looked at an actual CCS1 plug?

That mechanical linkage that releases the pin on J1772 isn’t there any more. The locking pin is in the same place, but now it is moved by actuators in the plug body under commands from the charger. Having the plug disconnected by a user in the middle of a 400V charge session would be dangerous because even the energy in the wires can hurt someone at that point.

Yeah, they both speak J1772, but that’s a limited communication standard that stops at “I’m a DCFC station, go digital.” After that, Tesla implemented their own variation of CANBus to talk to the charger, and CCS does this weird homephy PLC digital.

Yeah, they say CCS is self aligning, but it’s still harder to align and use. CCS certainly is not easier to use as you’re saying; being adopted by a lot more companies that sell far fewer cars and having a lot of annoying payment schemes that are hard to keep track of and use at the time of charging aren’t advantages either. I think you’re wrong about maximum current, and I suspect the higher voltage is only because Tesla has no cars requiring higher voltage.

Not sure why you’re moving the goalposts now. I think everyone hear is in favor of Tesla releasing an adapter; certainly I am.

But you came out saying they should convert the next generation of cars and retrofit chargers based on the perceived advantages of the CCS standard, and I very much disagree with that.

They did? Source?

They said that Ariya will be CCS for North America and Europe. It's not shipping anywhere yet.

I'm not aware of them "ditching" CHAdeMO for North America. So, either Leaf will go away or eventually go CCS in the US. I'm not sure that either of those have been announced yet. Or, future model years/generations could remain CHAdeMO for NA, which seems less likely once Ariya ships.

There are plenty of CCS locations in the US. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations claims there are 2,556 such sites in the US and 3,297 if you include Canada.

But yes, many are ~37 to ~50 kW. There aren't many that are ~"24" kW. Seems like everything that Electrify America is deploying on the CCS side is at least 150 kW.

I now to drive a car w/SAE Combo as my primary vehicle.
I'm sorry, I should clarify, they are introducing the Ariya and all other future EVs with CCS for the NA/EU market, and the rumor has it the leaf is being phased out, although this isn't official yet. In my opinion the Ariya is essentially just the next evolution of the Leaf based on the early specs and concepts I have seen. For whatever reason SUVs are wildly in style in North America, and it's quoted specs are more in line with modern EVs. The latest leaf isn't shabby, but does fall short in some key ways (like an AWD option). Here are some sources:

Nissan Transitions To CCS For US And Europe, Dealing CHAdeMO A Fatal Blow

Nissan has a dual motor AWD electric Leaf, but you can't buy it - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Have you looked at an actual CCS1 plug?

That mechanical linkage that releases the pin on J1772 isn’t there any more. The locking pin is in the same place, but now it is moved by actuators in the plug body under commands from the charger. Having the plug disconnected by a user in the middle of a 400V charge session would be dangerous because even the energy in the wires can hurt someone at that point.
As someone who used SAE Combo in my car at least a dozen or more times, which are you referring to? Are you talking about the latch on the SAE Combo handle? IIRC, it is still just like that of J1772, just a mechanical linkage. I don't recall if there's a secondary locking mechanism inside.

However, on the car side, there is a locking mechanism to lock the handle to the car which moves right before charging starts and is audible on my Bolt when it engages and releases. It's the metal part visible in SAE combo plug vs Chademo - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum. It blocks the handle's latch from moving up and releasing.

Some other vehicles w/SAE Combo do it differently like via a pin that sticks out like on i3 and e-Golf. It's also what they use to stupidly lock a J1772 (for L1 and L2) handle to the car for no reason. In the case of the e-Golf, some of them keep the handle locked to the car, remaining attached like a parasite for no reason after charging is complete, which can cause other problems (e.g. CIDRAM) and SUCKS for plug sharing at public charging and work (we had this issue at work before COVID-19 lockdowns). Pic under step 3 of CIDRAM shows e-Golf's locking pin.

I can confirm whether it's a mechanical linkage or not on the handle sometime this week. Secondary lock will be probably impossible for me to confirm since the for sure, the car's locking mechanism will engage.
I'm sorry, I should clarify, they are introducing the Ariya and all other future EVs with CCS for the NA/EU market, and the rumor has it the leaf is being phased out, although this isn't official yet. In my opinion the Ariya is essentially just the next evolution of the Leaf based on the early specs and concepts I have seen. For whatever reason SUVs are wildly in style in North America, and it's quoted specs are more in line with modern EVs. The latest leaf isn't shabby, but does fall short in some key ways (like an AWD option). Here are some sources:

Nissan Transitions To CCS For US And Europe, Dealing CHAdeMO A Fatal Blow

Nissan has a dual motor AWD electric Leaf, but you can't buy it - Electrek
Yes on the the Ariya. One can infer the bolded part but I didn't see anything official from Nissan on that.

The second URL was a test vehicle and makes no claims about charging inlet.

Last edited:
Yes on the the Ariya. One can infer the bolded part but I didn't see anything official from Nissan on that.
Nothing is confirmed yet, but in their hype piece CGI video the Leaf is curiously absent. Honestly not shocking since Nissan is struggling right now, and the Leaf sales have been declining over the past 5 years as it becomes less and less competitive (in 2014 the leaf sold over 30k units in the US vs only 12k in 2019, source: Nissan LEAF Sales Figures). When it was the only affordable EV it did great, but times change. Nissan has announced they are cutting around 14 of their models as part of their "Nissan Next" program. Source: Where’s The LEAF? Nissan Next Video Only Shows Ariya Among Future Electric Cars

Tesla loves proprietary solutions, e.g., charging, no Carplay/Auto support in their nav, no third party repair. Their chargeport is the lightning connector equivalent. The standards war is over and no one joined the Tesla camp. They are on the betamax end of this standards war.

Not yet.

At the moment, Tesla is outselling the rest of the market combined for EVs in the US, and more than half of all BEVs ever delivered in the US are Teslas.

The fact that ~20% of the BEV cars being sold are from a dozen different manufacturers doesn’t make them owners of the market or terribly important.

So no, the standard war is by no means over. I doubt it’ll be settled in five years unless a regulatory body intervenes like they did in Europe.

You may be right about the final outcome, or not. The Tesla solution is superior from a user perspective, which may or may not matter to the final resolution.