Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EU requires all EVs to use the Type 2 CCS charger so Tesla was compelled by law to create the CCS adapter. What was the reason for the Chademo adapter

No, the EU does not require EVs to use Type 2 CCS. (For example the Leaf, and other cars, uses CHAdeMO. Others don't even support DC fast charging at all.) What they require is that public DC fast charging stations have Type 2 CCS connectors available.

Don't confuse DC Fast Chargers with AC charging points. Certainly the vast majority of the "stations" quoted will be simple J1772 EVSE.

But those appear to all be AC/J1772 locations, for which every Tesla already comes with an adapter. So not really related to this thread.

A breakout out was given sometime this past week, and a huge number of the chargers being installed will be CCS/ChaDeMo/J1772 AC charging. GM has also announced they're partnering with EVGo to expand the CCS charging network.

Every single other brand in the North America market will be using CCS. So I'm not sure why the controversy about having an adapter.

A breakout out was given sometime this past week, and a huge number of the chargers being installed will be CCS/ChaDeMo/J1772 AC charging. GM has also announced they're partnering with EVGo to expand the CCS charging network.

Every single other brand in the North America market will be using CCS. So I'm not sure why the controversy about having an adapter.
Please post a link to the breakout of different types of charging points. I would genuinely like to know.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I did some more digging and found this: https://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M345/K702/345702701.PDF

It appears they only plan to put in 205 DCFC ports/connectors:
CA DCFC1.png

And most sites have to have a minimum of 2. So ~100 DCFC charge sites. I wouldn't call that a "huge" number.

And they are spending less than 4% iof the money on DCFC:
CA DCFC2.png

Lots, and lots, of AC charging which is very good.

So I'm not sure why the controversy about having an adapter.
There is absolutely no controversy about people wanting Tesla to have a CCS adapter for the NA market. When people have been disagreeing with you it's only been when you were saying that Tesla needed to totally switch from their own standard to CCS (i.e. the cars would only have a CCS port). The opposing position has been that having a CCS-to-Tesla adapter is enough.

There is absolutely no controversy about people wanting Tesla to have a CCS adapter for the NA market. When people have been disagreeing with you it's only been when you were saying that Tesla needed to totally switch from their own standard to CCS (i.e. the cars would only have a CCS port). The opposing position has been that having a CCS-to-Tesla adapter is enough.

I haven't said Tesla needs to switch over completely. I've simply pointed out that CCS is a standard, and corrected people when they've attempted to give incorrect reasons why it can't be done. Do I think Tesla should use CCS in North America? Yes. Do I think they need to? Absolutely not. They currently have the most DCFC chargers deployed. But, as more brands use CCS and as more companies contribute to CCS rollout, Tesla will eventually be a walled garden for us.

SO WE NEED AN ADAPTER.

Perhaps this thread is now too long for you to have got that context, but waaaaaaay back in the history here, I gave basically this opinion.

Yesterday I made up a prototype "dumb" CCS adapter and tested it with a 2020 Model 3 at a CCS charger. It didn't work, because the car failed to detect connection to the charger. So it sounds like probably the North American vehicles are lacking either the hardware or the software for CCS charging at this time.

I would have been shocked if the car had firmware supporting CCS charging.

Tesla had to add specific hardware to EU cars to communicate with CCS chargers - that’s why they need the chargeport retrofit if built before last May.

The jury’s still out on whether US spec cars built since then have the same revised hardware, but it seems unlikely.

• Helpful
Reactions: johnr
I would have been shocked if the car had firmware supporting CCS charging.
Agree.

Tesla had to add specific hardware to EU cars to communicate with CCS chargers - that’s why they need the chargeport retrofit if built before last May.
This is only true for Model S/X. Model 3 is a different story.

The jury’s still out on whether US spec cars built since then have the same revised hardware, but it seems unlikely.
Model 3 cars from the start of production in 2017 may or may not have the PLC hardware to talk CCS. However, Tesla likely planned all along for the European Model 3 cars to have CCS, so it is possible ALL Model 3 cars have the proper chips laying dormant if the vehicle doesn't have a CCS charge port. If you think it's unlikely, you are of course entitled to your opinion.

Model 3 cars from the start of production in 2017 may or may not have the PLC hardware to talk CCS. However, Tesla likely planned all along for the European Model 3 cars to have CCS, so it is possible ALL Model 3 cars have the proper chips laying dormant if the vehicle doesn't have a CCS charge port. If you think it's unlikely, you are of course entitled to your opinion.

I agree. It costs Tesla essentially nothing to prep NA 3/Y for CCS, and it allows for multiple long term strategies.

Agree.

This is only true for Model S/X. Model 3 is a different story.

Initially I thought there was a good chance they had the hardware, but if that’s the case I would have already expected to see the adapter released.

Every month that goes by without an adapter makes me think it is less likely that the hardware is in place.

Reactions: kayak1
Yesterday I made up a prototype "dumb" CCS adapter and tested it with a 2020 Model 3 at a CCS charger. It didn't work, because the car failed to detect connection to the charger. So it sounds like probably the North American vehicles are lacking either the hardware or the software for CCS charging at this time.

What's the pinout of your adapter?

Initially I thought there was a good chance they had the hardware, but if that’s the case I would have already expected to see the adapter released.

Every month that goes by without an adapter makes me think it is less likely that the hardware is in place.

Could be a number of reasons:
1) Model 3 built before 2019 require a hardware upgrade that Tesla isn't prepared to do. More "service sucks" unhappiness for owners of older Model 3.
2) CCS1 may not the long term standard American plug.
3) Universally supporting CCS1 falsely diminishes the perception of Supercharger superiority among new EV shoppers
4) Tesla plug is better, it's hard to go backwards
5) Tesla expects EA and others to install Tesla plug along with CCS1. If EA mission is to support EV, and not just VW group, they aren't doing a good job considering the EVs on the road today. So far the money spent on EA is hardly punishing VW group.
6) Tesla is not going to decide on supporting CCS1 until forced to do so
7) Tesla plug isn't good enough for the future DC charging planned. Tesla will eventually support CCS1 as part of some master plug plan

Perhaps it was easier to decide support Chademo once Tesla understood that this standard is doomed.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Fun. But there has to be a handshake, right.? Too many people electrocuted otherwise. The Tesla charging engineers and the Charger engineers would face rapid job loss if your adapter worked.

• Funny
Reactions: miimura
Fun. But there has to be a handshake, right.? Too many people electrocuted otherwise. The Tesla charging engineers and the Charger engineers would face rapid job loss if your adapter worked.
The point is that in Europe Tesla DOES support fast-charging their vehicles at CCS chargers. To make this possible, Tesla has incorporated the necessary software and hardware in their newer cars shipping to Europe. Some have speculated that it should be possible to fast charge at CCS stations here in the US using just a simple adapter, assuming that the new US vehicles are built with the same charging components and firmware as their European market vehicles. My experiment demonstrated that Tesla's North American market vehicles do not seem to have the same charging components as their European market vehicles (or there is a software switch that disables the feature here). Either that, or I made a mistake in the wiring (but I don't think so).

I saw a photo somewhere (maybe on Twitter?) that compared the circuit boards that controlled on board charging on the Model 3.

The PCBA for the North American and European Model 3s were significantly different, with the EU version having about a 10-20% larger PCB and a significantly larger microcontroller.

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px
I saw a photo somewhere (maybe on Twitter?) that compared the circuit boards that controlled on board charging on the Model 3.

The PCBA for the North American and European Model 3s were significantly different, with the EU version having about a 10-20% larger PCB and a significantly larger microcontroller.
A part that relates to AC charging would make sense. The European ones have to manage 3 phase AC electricity, while the North American ones don't. The stuff that is just for direct DC charging probably wouldn't need to be much different.

Reactions: ai4px