Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven a Bolt from Cape Cod to just south of Tucson (Oct 2020). Pain in the $&&$! We also drove our MY back and forth, with no issues. Which is why we now have a second Tesla on order (M3- SR), having turned our Bolt back into Chevy a couple of months ago (the battery issue).

You had to hold the charger plug in place on the Bolt until it was locked when actuating. And the cables were sometimes awfully short. The big problem was EA reliability. Almost stranded two days, with a problem on another day. I "think" EA is better now, not sure.

Waiting on our CSS1 adapter from Korea. Will experiment with that this next trip to the Cape (first week of June).

Oh, and the Bolt was a very nice car. Liked it a lot. But the 50kW charging speed was ridiculous.

Rich

ZxTUght.jpg

0zlE76X.jpg

2JuPRGI.jpg

FYI it does fit in the little storage bin on the left side of the trunk. Now to decide if i want to keep it and the J1772 adapter in the side or keep it in it's own case. I was hoping that the case would fit in the bin with it but it does not.

FYI it does fit in the little storage bin on the left side of the trunk. Now to decide if i want to keep it and the J1772 adapter in the side or keep it in it's own case. I was hoping that the case would fit in the bin with it but it does not.

Could you measure the adapter? Tesla's site has dimensions but I'm thinking those are the box dimensions instead of the adapter itself.

Although just an anecdote, it was only thanks to our CHAdeMO adapter that we were able to travel through NW Colorado into the Flaming Gorge area last summer. There was a very conveniently placed CHAdeMO/CCS station in the tiny town of Dinosaur, CO that made the trip possible. (And even then we still needed an overnight campground 14-50 to be able to enjoy the park and make it to I-80 the next day.) I've used my CHAdeMO adapter exactly twice in roughly 7 years and 30K miles of electric road tripping, but it made trips possible that otherwise would have required half a day—or more!—at a campground.

Unless you never intend to stray more than 100 miles from a DCFC, I hope everyone on this thread who is buying the CCS adapter already has the full compliment of Tesla's plug adapters. Those will cover 90% of the L1 and L2 options you will encounter and open up far more destination options than the CCS adapter does. FWIW, I have a ton of NEMA 6-, 10-, and 14- adapters—not just the common ones that Tesla sells, but also several of the L (locking) and oddball 15 and 20 amp 240V plugs—and I've used every single one of them at least once. Basically, the lower trunk area of all our cars have a plethora of adapters and both 240V/50A and 120V/20A extension cords and converters from those oddball plugs to allow them to connect to said extension cords.

Electricity is everywhere, but it doesn't do you much good if you don't have the right plug or a long enough cable to be able to get at it. ;)
I have a wall connector in my garage so I always keep the mobile connector in the trunk. I have personally accumulated the 5-15, 5-20, 6-20, 14-30, & 14-50 adapters as well as the J1772 and now CCS adapter :) Love having lots of options!

If you park and the cable can't reach your vehicle, you just re-park your vehicle.

It's not rocket science.
Except in this case you have to around the wrong way and then back in, as they are 45 degree spaces (not 90 degree). People shouldn't be expected to do that.

If they wanted people to back in, they should have made these as 90 degree spaces. They also could have put the charger stalls in the front of the car so that cables have a chance of reaching without having to go over the top of the vehicle (but that still requires cables long enough to reach a port near the rear).

Here's a potentially dumb question (sorry). What is the general consensus--will (finally) having the CCS1 adapter completely eliminate the need for or possibility of ever needing a CHAdeMO adapter in the car? Assuming that the money is not the issue, should I part with my (never-used) CHAdeMO or hold onto it "just in case?" (I realize that there are many factors--location, driving habitats, numbers of available charging stations, etc.--to consider, but just in general what do people think?)

Here's a potentially dumb question (sorry). What is the general consensus--will (finally) having the CCS1 adapter completely eliminate the need for or possibility of ever needing a CHAdeMO adapter in the car? Assuming that the money is not the issue, should I part with my (never-used) CHAdeMO or hold onto it "just in case?" (I realize that there are many factors--location, driving habitats, numbers of available charging stations, etc.--to consider, but just in general what do people think?)
If you have or get a CCS1 adapter I would sell the CHAdeMO adapter while you can still get good money for it. I personally don't see the need for it unless you are going to some remote location often where CHAdeMO is the only option.

It looks like from the Alternative Fuels Data Center information there's only about 436 locations and ~1,400 stalls that have solely Chademo, while nearly 5000 locations and ~6,500 stalls have both, and 579 locations and ~4,000 stalls have CCS only. There's a lot more dual or even CCS-only stalls coming. Meanwhile, the Chademo-only pool is relatively small, not a number that's growing much and seems in fact likely to shrink. If you know specific sites near you maybe hold onto it, but in general...I think if you have the CCS1 adapter, you should sell the Chademo while you can get money for it.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and tps5352
It looks like from the Alternative Fuels Data Center information there's only about 436 locations and ~1,400 stalls that have solely Chademo, while nearly 5000 locations and ~6,500 stalls have both, and 579 locations and ~4,000 stalls have CCS only. There's a lot more dual or even CCS-only stalls coming. Meanwhile, the Chademo-only pool is relatively small, not a number that's growing much and seems in fact likely to shrink. If you know specific sites near you maybe hold onto it, but in general...I think if you have the CCS1 adapter, you should sell the Chademo while you can get money for it.

How do you filter to show just Chademo?

When I select Chademo it shows me all the station that have Chademo, not the ones that are exclusively Chademo

How do you filter to show just Chademo?

When I select Chademo it shows me all the station that have Chademo, not the ones that are exclusively Chademo
I'm doing a little set arithmetic. Basically, if there's A that have Chademo, B that have CCS, and C that have at least one or the other (all of which I can filter for), then the overlap of "both" (D) = A+B - C, and then the only-Chademo is A - D and the CCS-only is B - D. The data looks like this, top three lines are from the filters, bottom three lines are calculated:

LocationsStalls
CCS, incl550610483
Chad, incl53637813
CCS and/or Chad594211876
Overlap49276420
CCS, exclusive5794063
Chad, exclusive4361393

Reactions: DrGriz
I have two primary reasons I'll keep mine: 1) I have an 85D which will never charge via CCS, but can charge via CHAdeMO, and 2) even in the newer cars, when I get to that podunk town that has just one combo charger, if I don't have the CHAdeMO adapter Murphy says that the CCS plug won't be working.

Unless you just really need the money, I don't see why you'd ever want to *reduce* your charging options. (See my previous post. ;))

Last edited:
I have two primary reasons I'll keep mine: 1) I have an 85D which will never charge via CCS, but can charge via CHAdeMO, and 2) even in the newer cards, when I get to that podunk town that has just one combo charger, if I don't have the CHAdeMO adapter Murphy says that the CCS plug won't be working.

Unless you just really need the money, I don't see why you'd ever want to *reduce* your charging options. (See my previous post. ;))
Now to decide on the best app to find them all. Plugshare? What do you think when you're really just looking for the best/closest fast charger with all the adapters?

Looks like you can now order from Harumio direct off their website for $309 (I ordered, we'll see how it works!):
Thanks OP. Ordered one.
Free delivery by DHL to Toronto, cost all in is C$420.
Used Paypal option to pay after delivery, now I have 21 days to dispute the transaction, just in case something goes wrong.
I predict we'll have very busy summer with people driving BEVs everywhere, and SC chargers being especially busy.
This adapter will give me more options to charge.

Now to decide on the best app to find them all. Plugshare? What do you think when you're really just looking for the best/closest fast charger with all the adapters?
If you'd asked me two months ago, I would have said just PlugShare. But I have since discovered that PlugShare is not necessarily as comprehensive as I once thought. (We found L2 chargers in a place that did not show on PlugShare and had I known they were there I might have made different arrangements.)

I would still check PlugShare first, but if it doesn't show any good options I would then check the network-specific apps, probably starting with EA. However, I suspect virtually all of the DCFCs are in PlugShare. (In fact, I suspect virtually all of the L2 chargers are in PlugShare, too, I just got unlucky on this last trip.)

If you'd asked me two months ago, I would have said just PlugShare. But I have since discovered that PlugShare is not necessarily as comprehensive as I once thought. (We found L2 chargers in a place that did not show on PlugShare and had I known they were there I might have made different arrangements.)

I would still check PlugShare first, but if it doesn't show any good options I would then check the network-specific apps, probably starting with EA. However, I suspect virtually all of the DCFCs are in PlugShare. (In fact, I suspect virtually all of the L2 chargers are in PlugShare, too, I just got unlucky on this last trip.)
Bummer I'd like to have one place. Built in nav is just so easy for SC so if I'm in a pinch I'd like to go to one place that routes me to a ccs now vs traveling further or out of the way for a SC. I have chargepoint for my home charger I guess I could install EA as well.