Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have or get a CCS1 adapter I would sell the CHAdeMO adapter while you can still get good money for it. I personally don't see the need for it unless you are going to some remote location often where CHAdeMO is the only option.
Workplaces are all Chademo that I've seen, except for one, which was not CCS1.

City of Burbank in the last year or so, has installed 30 or so Chademo Chargepoints around the downtown area. It's not our fault the cities aren't up to speed.

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1
Except in this case you have to around the wrong way and then back in, as they are 45 degree spaces (not 90 degree). People shouldn't be expected to do that.

If they wanted people to back in, they should have made these as 90 degree spaces. They also could have put the charger stalls in the front of the car so that cables have a chance of reaching without having to go over the top of the vehicle (but that still requires cables long enough to reach a port near the rear).
I must be a rocket scientist

512241.jpg

I must be a rocket scientist

View attachment 802749
The case being discussed is if that space is taken (as per the thread I linked). That would count as two fails as per the survey being discussed, because they count each individual stall. I thought the context was obvious, but I guess I needed to point it out specifically.

Last edited:
To be clear, the CCS1 adapter is not sold out (as far as I can see).

Tesla Adapters available on Harumio

(What apparently is sold out is the aftermarket case made for the CCS1 adapter. My guess is that they will be getting more of those.)

However, it would not surprise me to see the adapter sold out at some point, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy3292
Harumio might be buying the adapter directly from the manufacturer. They take PayPal and there's no outward evidence that a Tesla account is needed for purchase. Did they ask you for your Tesla account information?
No, you can simply go to the Tesla Korea website and see that you must login in order to purchase.

FWIW, I have a ton of NEMA 6-, 10-, and 14- adapters—not just the common ones that Tesla sells, but also several of the L (locking) and oddball 15 and 20 amp 240V plugs—and I've used every single one of them at least once. Basically, the lower trunk area of all our cars have a plethora of adapters and both 240V/50A and 120V/20A extension cords and converters from those oddball plugs to allow them to connect to said extension cords.
Interesting. I've been to many many campgrounds and national parks across the US and Canada, including remote ones hanging off forest roads, and have never stayed at a campground that didn't have a TT-30 plug at a minimum. Many had NEMA 14-50 in addition to the TT-30.

Reactions: kayak1
To be clear, the CCS1 adapter is not sold out (as far as I can see).

Tesla Adapters available on Harumio

(What apparently is sold out is the aftermarket case made for the CCS1 adapter. My guess is that they will be getting more of those.)

However, it would not surprise me to see the adapter sold out at some point, too.
Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but the box the adapter came in already seemed pretty compact, sturdy, and nice, so I was just using that to hold the adapter, lol.

Harumio might be buying the adapter directly from the manufacturer. They take PayPal and there's no outward evidence that a Tesla account is needed for purchase. Did they ask you for your Tesla account information?
I can confirm that Harumio isn't requiring a Tesla account password now. The one I ordered 10 days ago, that I received a couple days ago for my MS had to be done by giving them a password. Yesterday I ordered a second one for my wife's MY, and they did not require a password (and confirmed that they don't need one now via a email to me when I asked).

I would be interested to know how many Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapters have actually been sold and imported into North America so far. As others have said, although it seems like a big deal to us (on the pertinent TMC forums), the actual number of Tesla customers truly interested in a "pirate" (albeit genuine) product from overseas may be small in comparison to:
  1. The overall population of all Tesla owners. (Currently only some, not all, 2020-to-present model-years are CCS compatible.)
  2. The subset of owners with CCS-enabled cars. (After all, not all drivers need, want, or even know about the adapter.)
  3. The smaller subset of drivers who truly do want a CCS1 adapter. (But not all drivers want or are able to "risk" a purchase now, from a distant country and for possibly more money than Tesla will eventually sell it for.)
This leaves us with a relatively small but (p)lucky group actually being allowed to make the not-insignificant purchase by their (dubious and long-suffering) partners. ;)

Last edited:
I've been lurking on this thread for a week-or-two, figured I'd check in and provide a datapoint.

Last Tuesday, I followed this guide to order a Tesla CCS1 adapter + have it shipped via Delivered:
The adapter arrived today, and I successfully charged my Model 3 at an Electrify America station this afternoon.

The whole thing only cost me $236 for the adapter + $37 for shipping and I didn't have to give my account credentials to anyone.
I’m also getting to avoid the inevitable shortage that will happen when this adapter is available in the USA. :)

A couple notes for anyone who would like to follow the same guide I did:

• Delivered told me that they actually don’t need a heads-up when a package is coming their way for their “you buy, we ship” option. As long as your suite number is correctly written on the package, they’ll automatically contact you.
  • When checking out on the Tesla website, do not use the credit card on your account. Using your account’s CC info does not work and the website will not validate it for some reason. However, if you legit just enter the exact same CC information manually, it will work LOL. This happened with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
  • Like the guide, I decided to use FedEx to get the package to my hometown (Washington state, USA) instead of Delivered’s nebulous in-house shipping program. If anyone wants to save a few bucks though, they could use Delivered’s shipping program and save $10-or-so iirc.

The whole process was super smooth, I'd totally recommend it to anyone if they want a CCS1 adapter.

I would be interested to know how many Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapters have actually been sold and imported into North America so far. As others have said, although it seems like a big deal to us (on the pertinent TMC forums), the actual number of Tesla customers truly interested in a "pirate" (albeit genuine) product from overseas may be small in comparison to:
  1. The overall population of all Tesla owners. (Currently only some, not all, 2020-to-present model-years are CCS compatible.)
  2. The subset of owners with CCS-enabled cars. (After all, not all drivers need, want, or even know about the adapter.)
  3. The smaller subset of drivers who truly do want a CCS1 adapter. (But not all drivers want or are able to "risk" a purchase now, from a distant country and for possibly more money than Tesla will eventually sell it for.)
This leaves us with a relatively small but (p)lucky group actually being allowed to make the not-insignificant purchase by their (dubious and long-suffering) partners. ;)
I’d put it easily in the multiple hundreds now. Seeing how many posts are on here, the Reddit posts, tweets about it, recent articles about it, how many are on eBay, YouTube videos, etc. Lots of interest has been generated.

Interesting. I've been to many many campgrounds and national parks across the US and Canada, including remote ones hanging off forest roads, and have never stayed at a campground that didn't have a TT-30 plug at a minimum. Many had NEMA 14-50 in addition to the TT-30.
Yes, pretty much any campground that has hookups will have a NEMA 10-50, 14-50, and/or TT-30 outlet, and if you don't have adapters for those, you probably shouldn't be taking road trips in an EV. :p

But I don't want to stay at campgrounds. Fortunately, it's amazing how many houses have the various 240V plugs—the 10-30 or 14-30 at the dryer being by far the most common. We've stayed at lots of Airbnbs/VRBOs and I've had very good luck finding something more than just a 5-15 or 5-20. (In fairness, I always ask the host first if there is something and if I can pay extra to use it, but I rarely get told they don't have anything more than a standard 5-15 outlet, and I've never been told I can't use it, and only one host ever took me up on the extra $ for the electricity.)

It's actually the mom & pop motels that have proven the most diverse. I used a 6-50 at one just last summer (without that adapter I would have had a very unhappy family!) and an L6-30 at another one many years ago. Pretty sure I've also used a 6-20.

Reactions: jsight
They said upthread they were looking for interested owners to partner with them to stock them themselves, which means they are not buying directly from manufacturer (as in having themselves as the buyers), but having owner(s) partnering with them to buy extra ones to resell (instead of just being a delivery service).

Reactions: jabloomf1230
What if I am at a Supercharger and want to charge from charger 2A, but there is a U-Haul truck blocking it?

...then I go charge somewhere else
That's irrelevant as that is ICEing, which is a separate problem (not the station's fault, the article linked actually had a CARB study that had a survey on this). But the obvious problem with station designs like above is if you have cars that have charge ports on the same side, only 2 cars can charge at a time, even with all 4 stalls empty. I think most people will count that as a failure in station design.

If as per the survey you pull up in a Bolt (the most popular CCS vehicle by far in US) effectively there are 2 chargers that don't work for your car at all due to charger placement and the length of the cables, even though they have 2 cables per charger.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H