Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can my 2018 Model S charge at the Electrify America chargers? They have CCS and something else.

Attachments

• 8DD90CFE-B934-4323-B3AF-F8318DC307D6.jpeg
    8DD90CFE-B934-4323-B3AF-F8318DC307D6.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 93
Looking at Cedar City
You didn't mention a state, so you're making this harder. Since your own location says Las Vegas, I'm presuming close, so is this Cedar City, UT?
So did you get stuck on I-15 there in Cedar City, between the St. George and Beater, UT Superchargers?
they have several “destination chargers” for Tesla at hotels but guests only. Maybe I can bribe them for an hour of charge
Yes, most hotels are fine with something like that. For one, almost every place will consider you a customer if you eat at the hotel's restaurant. Just ask them if you can make that exchange and plug in to charge while you eat there. Or if you aren't really there for the eating, or they don't have a hotel restaurant open right now (unpredictable Covid situations), then yes, you can probably offer $10 or $20, and I think most places would glad let you use it.

Looking on Plugshare, I do see a few other options there in town. There are a couple of RV park places that might be available if you have your charge cord and 14-50 plug. And then on the north end of town, there is a Chargepoint station at a Maverick gas station that has a J1772, so you could use that.

You didn't mention a state, so you're making this harder. Since your own location says Las Vegas, I'm presuming close, so is this Cedar City, UT?
So did you get stuck on I-15 there in Cedar City, between the St. George and Beater, UT Superchargers?

Yes, most hotels are fine with something like that. For one, almost every place will consider you a customer if you eat at the hotel's restaurant. Just ask them if you can make that exchange and plug in to charge while you eat there. Or if you aren't really there for the eating, or they don't have a hotel restaurant open right now (unpredictable Covid situations), then yes, you can probably offer $10 or $20, and I think most places would glad let you use it.

Looking on Plugshare, I do see a few other options there in town. There are a couple of RV park places that might be available if you have your charge cord and 14-50 plug. And then on the north end of town, there is a Chargepoint station at a Maverick gas station that has a J1772, so you could use that.

Yes, Cedar City UT. Thanks for the advice. I didn’t get stuck we are planning a trip to BrianHead UT and was looking at charging options. I got the 75D so I have the lowest range. If I knew I could plug in at our condo and trickle charge overnight then no problem. There is hotel there with Tesla wall charger but for guests only I didn’t think about the restaurant trick

If I knew I could plug in at our condo and trickle charge overnight then no problem. There is hotel there with Tesla wall charger but for guests only I didn’t think about the restaurant trick
Then this is an example of where it's good to call the condo where you will be staying and see if they have some kind of outlet available outside that you would be able to use for charging while you are there.

And I know that the CHAdeMO adapter is a bulky Frankenplug beast, and is $450, but I keep seeing these kinds of threads on this forum of people who are pulling out their hair trying to figure out how to do a trip they want to do, but can't use the conveniently located stations from EA or Chargepoint or Greenlots because they don't want to buy the adapter. If you need it, you need it. I have one and have used it several times and have lent it out a few times too.

Did that. They said “No. We don’t!” I said maybe a feature they should add to get higher rents. More and more EVs coming. I think they think I’m a snob....
EV drivers are going to have to start speaking with their dollars. And this is something that needs to be done beforehand then. I see these threads like: "The place we already booked to stay doesn't have charging. Now what do I do?"

This is the kind of thing that should be done ahead of time and should influence your choice of where you do stay. Call a few places if you want, ask them like you did, and when they say "no", be sure to tell them, "Well, that's an amenity I need, and since you don't offer it, I'll stay somewhere else." They need to hear that frequently, and that is what will move the needle to get more places to install it. It has to become known as an amenity, like wi-fi or breakfast or a pool or something that people use to determine where they book their stays.

EV drivers are going to have to start speaking with their dollars. And this is something that needs to be done beforehand then. I see these threads like: "The place we already booked to stay doesn't have charging. Now what do I do?"

This is the kind of thing that should be done ahead of time and should influence your choice of where you do stay. Call a few places if you want, ask them like you did, and when they say "no", be sure to tell them, "Well, that's an amenity I need, and since you don't offer it, I'll stay somewhere else." They need to hear that frequently, and that is what will move the needle to get more places to install it. It has to become known as an amenity, like wi-fi or breakfast or a pool or something that people use to determine where they book their stays.

@Darth Tater And you might want to look into your posting technique. It doesn't seem to be accident, as the last three times, you have done a reply to quote someone, and then posted that by itself. And then you do another new comment that is just your response. It looks pretty cluttered, doing two separate posts each time.

When you reply, it puts the quoting in the comment composition box down there, but then you can put your cursor at the end and hit ENTER and then add your commentary lines after it in the text box before clicking the button to Post the comment.

• Helpful
Reactions: ucmndd
@Darth Tater And you might want to look into your posting technique. It doesn't seem to be accident, as the last three times, you have done a reply to quote someone, and then posted that by itself. And then you do another new comment that is just your response. It looks pretty cluttered, doing two separate posts each time.

When you reply, it puts the quoting in the comment composition box down there, but then you can put your cursor at the end and hit ENTER and then add your commentary lines after it in the text box before clicking the button to Post the comment.

ahhh, ok got it thanks

Asking if they have EV charging:
Did that. They said “No. We don’t!” I said maybe a feature they should add to get higher rents. More and more EVs coming. I think they think I’m a snob....
When you arrive you may find a 120V outlet you can use. Hotel employees’ answers can be influenced by how you ask (or how they interpret) the question. “EV charging” often sounds to them like some complicated equipment set up, when if you ask, “is there a standard outlet anywhere near a parking space I can use” often elicits a completely different response, especially if you explain you’ll gladly pay for the dollar or two of electricity.
Two recent examples: both hotels were welcoming but the first said that they didn’t have any outlets but if I found one, I could use it. Sure enough, at the back of the hotel, far from doors, so unlikely to be ICEd, on the back wall of the pool enclosure was an outlet. Worked just fine so I took a picture and showed the staff so now they know that they can offer that (limited) amenity.
The second was even nicer because the manager said they’d just been looking for outdoor outlets for Christmas lights and found one just outside the front door that we could use. We parked at the far end of their loading area late at night and moved first thing in the morning, so everyone was happy.
I understand the “market forces” argument that if they say no you want to tell them you’ll take your ball and go play someplace else, but we deal with the human race, so emotions matter and we catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Please try to understand that your audience rarely understands EV charging as well as you do and tailor your questions accordingly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H