Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Cost for [Model S and X only, at this time - Feb 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, they say they have no way not to include it. I believe them, and don't blame the people at the shop, I'm sure it's just an oversight on a corporate level.
How is it an oversight? They specifically tried to not sell an adapter to vehicles that couldn't use it. If you got one, wouldn't you have had to go around their process? (Like an import from South Korea, or ordering against a different vehicle.)

Interesting that other people are being quoted for just the retrofit, when they want the $450 package deal.

How is it an oversight? They specifically tried to not sell an adapter to vehicles that couldn't use it. If you got one, wouldn't you have had to go around their process? (Like an import from South Korea, or ordering against a different vehicle.)

Interesting that other people are being quoted for just the retrofit, when they want the $450 package deal.
Tesla does sell the CCS adapter by itself for newer vehicles that don't need the CCS retrofit. In households that have multiple Teslas, such as ours, we have two newer Teslas that can use the CCS adapter without needing a retrofit. We have an older Model S that needs the retrofit. Since we don't need a CCS adapter for every vehicle, we'd like to be able to just purchase the CCS retrofit by itself and use the CCS adapter that we already purchased.

Tesla should offer the retrofit without the CCS adapter for those who already purchased the adapter for one of their other Tesla vehicles.

That would be nice, but I figure most people will treat it like the J-1772 adapter, and it stays in the car all the time. But I suppose maybe you only want to use it on trips, and just move it from vehicle to vehicle.
Fortunately the J-1772 comes free with every car. Those that need an extra or to replace one only need to spend $50 to buy an new one. Since the CCS adapter has been priced from $175 to $250 or more, I can understand why people don't want to buy another one to have one in every car. I guess Tesla could claim the one included in the $450 retrofit is "free" but there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of people who have already purchased one and don't need it. Since Tesla stopped including 14-50 adapters and even mobile connectors, it seems odd that they are forcing the CCS adapter to be purchased as part of the retrofit. Hopefully they'll have another option for those who don't need another adapter.

Thought I would ask for those who wonder. Getting done tomorrow. Invoice shows a kit. They don't usually break kits apart.
Screenshot_20230302-162143.png

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have scheduled my appointment for my 1st Gen X. The invoice shows $290 plus tax.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity Unit Price Price Adjustment Subtotal
RETROFIT, CCS
COMBO II, MX(1516774-
00-A)

Part Quantity
LABEL, TAMPER EVIDENT(6001487) 1.00
BOLT PF 4X9 PC88 ECOFIX SEAL(1039097-00-A) 3.00
KIT, RETROFIT, GEN III, MX, CCS1 ADAPTER(1652003-00-A) 1.00

Is this looking right?

I have scheduled my appointment for my 1st Gen X. The invoice shows $290 plus tax.

Parts Replaced or Added
RETROFIT, CCS
COMBO II, MX(1516774-
00-A)

Part Quantity

Is this looking right?
Might want them to recheck that. The current info and my own quote is that the kit itself , which includes the adapter, is $450.00 and labor and tax will be added to that. So about $540.

Parts Replaced or Added
RETROFIT, CCS
COMBO II, MX(1516774-
00-A)

Part Quantity

Is this looking right?
Are you able to share a redacted copy of the invoice? I would like to share it with my service center so they can update it similar to ^

Count me in as another owner of two teslas. I already have the adapter for one of the vehicles and only need a retro fit for the older model.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just received a quote for $450 and the invoice lists the CCS adapter as included. But I texted Tesla and they claim I must buy the adapter separately. What gives?
If you order it from the online store it’s $450 and then you schedule it with service
Very similar to the way your order other accessories online that have to be installed at the service center like tow hitches…