Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CDN Model 3 delivery estimate date change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, based on my experience with my 75D, the $35k standard battery will be tight for Canadian winters.

I don't want people to be mislead by this. A Leaf is tight for Canadian winters. I don't see the standard battery 3 as being tight for Canadian winters unless you have an extremely long commute or plan to travel. But even for travel, before they put a supercharger in Merritt, it was tough in the winter to make it from Hope to Kelowna in a 60. But that's not the case anymore.

Don't get me wrong -- range is king -- and if you travel I would strongly recommend the LR battery. But to say the standard battery will be tight for Canadian winters is not true for the vast majority of people with normal commutes and driving habits, at least in my view.

I don't want people to be mislead by this. A Leaf is tight for Canadian winters. I don't see the standard battery 3 as being tight for Canadian winters unless you have an extremely long commute or plan to travel. But even for travel, before they put a supercharger in Merritt, it was tough in the winter to make it from Hope to Kelowna in a 60. But that's not the case anymore.

Don't get me wrong -- range is king -- and if you travel I would strongly recommend the LR battery. But to say the standard battery will be tight for Canadian winters is not true for the vast majority of people with normal commutes and driving habits, at least in my view.

Agreed, especially for vancouver residents like me.

We have a Model S and a Volt. The Model S is our preference for long distance driving and I plan on keeping it as long as I can. The Volt is mainly used for local driving by my wife and son, so vast majority of driving in it is as an ev. The base Model 3 with the upgrade package and dual motors would be an ideal replacement for the Volt. Then our family can be 100% gas passers.

I have ICEd Lexus RX350, and a Nissan Leaf. I used Ice car for long diatance, and use leaf for local driving. Seem like ice car barely used in my house. I was looking for Volt, but don’t like back middle seat, so I ended up with leaf.

I will Trade-in my leaf for M3 though. I admire you the courage to 100% electric.

I think I'll be fine with the SR battery even in the winter due to my driving habits. If I ever do a long long-range in the winter, a 30-40% drop in range is still reasonable to do thanks to the number of superchargers they have up and running now.

I don't see myself paying $11000+ CAD for the larger battery. And regardless, I still have an ICE car as a backup.

The only problem now is waiting a year before the SR battery goes into production, let alone Canadian deliveries. If Tesla somehow surprises everyone with a Medium Range battery with 260 miles of range that goes for $6000, I'm in.

I think they know more than us. What they can tell us isn't anything more than we already know.
I disagree. When I have spoken to the service or delivery folks in the past it is clear that they are not given much info and they are often much less well informed than Tesla heads like us that follow the forums and other stuff on the internet on a daily basis. As an example - I bet that if you went into one of the Tesla Service Centres in the GTA and asked them what three SuperChargers in Ontario are under construction but not open that very few Tesla employees would you give you the correct answer. I am guessing that more than 50% would be 0 for 3.

I disagree. When I have spoken to the service or delivery folks in the past it is clear that they are not given much info and they are often much less well informed than Tesla heads like us that follow the forums and other stuff on the internet on a daily basis. As an example - I bet that if you went into one of the Tesla Service Centres in the GTA and asked them what three SuperChargers in Ontario are under construction but not open that very few Tesla employees would you give you the correct answer. I am guessing that more than 50% would be 0 for 3.

Yes, I feel the same way. Last Tuesday, I spoke to two different rep in Yorkdale and asked same question when Model 3 will be displayed here. Both said no idea, one of two said if there is it could be months away. Then boom, it started Yesterday, what a shame..

I agree with that example, they wouldn't know about those chargers training entry level staff is hard enough let alone getting them to take the initiative to research on their own. But i feel, "when is the car probably going to come?" Is an entirely different question that they might go and ask around about, showroom lacky might get sick of the same questions or have a reservation and want to ask a manager who might want to ask their district manager etc etc.

I agree with that example, they wouldn't know about those chargers training entry level staff is hard enough let alone getting them to take the initiative to research on their own. But i feel, "when is the car probably going to come?" Is an entirely different question that they might go and ask around about, showroom lacky might get sick of the same questions or have a reservation and want to ask a manager who might want to ask their district manager etc etc.

They generally find out something is happening either a few days before or on the day it is happening.

It's not a matter of playing it close to the vest, they aren't told these things because it would be much harder to control any leaks.

Two comments. They have to sign an NDA which even if Tesla revealed things like when the M3 would be on sale in Canada they could not reveal it. They would lose their job and/or face a lawsuit for breaching the NDA. Secondly they are more likely told things on a need to know basis i.e. the day before or day of.

Two comments. They have to sign an NDA which even if Tesla revealed things like when the M3 would be on sale in Canada they could not reveal it. They would lose their job and/or face a lawsuit for breaching the NDA. Secondly they are more likely told things on a need to know basis i.e. the day before or day of.

A NDA is useless, every Apple employee and contractor has a NDA, but every year before iPhone released the Phone spec leaked. Most likely, they don't know is that they really do not know..

A NDA is useless, every Apple employee and contractor has a NDA, but every year before iPhone released the Phone spec leaked. Most likely, they don't know is that they really do not know..
Yeah but it's usually leaked in China, not sure how well NDAs hold up out there when many have no qualms about even outright copyright infringement and counterfeit goods.

Secondly what kind of penalty can apple enforce on $2.00/hour worker. NDA means much more to North American workers esp at Tesla.

Yeah but it's usually leaked in China, not sure how well NDAs hold up out there when many have no qualms about even outright copyright infringement and counterfeit goods.

Secondly what kind of penalty can apple enforce on $2.00/hour worker. NDA means much more to North American workers esp at Tesla.

You are comparing an apple with an orange. We are discussing direct front line employees of Tesla not a 3rd party contractor in a foreign country.

Sorry what I mean agree is what Tony mentioned about

they aren't told these things because it would be much harder to control any leaks.

I am not try to start a fighting on who leaked iPhone spec before launch. Pls not going wrong direction.

I think I'll be fine with the SR battery even in the winter due to my driving habits. If I ever do a long long-range in the winter, a 30-40% drop in range is still reasonable to do thanks to the number of superchargers they have up and running now.

I don't see myself paying $11000+ CAD for the larger battery. And regardless, I still have an ICE car as a backup.

The only problem now is waiting a year before the SR battery goes into production, let alone Canadian deliveries. If Tesla somehow surprises everyone with a Medium Range battery with 260 miles of range that goes for $6000, I'm in.

Holy crap I called it. Medium Range battery