Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CDN Model 3 delivery estimate date change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest worry with this alleged timeline is that for those of us grabbing a Dual motor car we will be the Guinea pigs for that motor. While the ego likes getting something first, it usually means questionable quality and possibly inferior to products coming out a few months later if they adjust the design to improve something.

My biggest worry with this alleged timeline is that for those of us grabbing a Dual motor car we will be the Guinea pigs for that motor. While the ego likes getting something first, it usually means questionable quality and possibly inferior to products coming out a few months later if they adjust the design to improve something.

That's going to happen regardless and my ego has nothing to do to with wanting to get it now. It's my damn mortality that needs it now since I'm not getting any younger. One of the best purchases I've made is my Model S in early 2014 just before AP came out -- I had a great summer of 2014 with the car and my family that I will never get back. Plus, I still look forward every day to driving my classic S and it will be great to add a smaller Model 3 as soon as possible. I'm 52 so how many summers left? I don't know exactly but I do know it's a lot less than I've had getting here and the years fly by so much faster. So there's no waiting for me except for the dual motors. Life's far too short for this Guinea pig to wait for bugs to be worked out. I hope to help squash those bugs.

That's going to happen regardless and my ego has nothing to do to with wanting to get it now. It's my damn mortality that needs it now since I'm not getting any younger. One of the best purchases I've made is my Model S in early 2014 just before AP came out -- I had a great summer of 2014 with the car and my family that I will never get back. Plus, I still look forward every day to driving my classic S and it will be great to add a smaller Model 3 as soon as possible. I'm 52 so how many summers left? I don't know exactly but I do know it's a lot less than I've had getting here and the years fly by so much faster. So there's no waiting for me except for the dual motors. Life's far too short for this Guinea pig to wait for bugs to be worked out. I hope to help squash those bugs.
52 you've got lots ahead, save for any serious medical issues...

52 you've got lots ahead, save for any serious medical issues...

Yes, I thought so too until my uncle took out a tape measure, pulled it out to the average age of Canadian male at death (82) so 82", then he put his thumb on 52" and I got to look at what is behind me and ahead of me. It really put it in perspective. Plus, time moves slow as a kid and races as an adult -- and add to that will my last 5 or so years be healthy? If not, that's what 25 healthy summers left? -- barring any other issues. That's not "lots ahead" to me.

So hurry up Model 3!

I always think SR is enough until this winter
LR is probably just enough for city travel
Lack of battery heater could really hurt winter range
Looking at Yue Yue's numbers, the hit is no worse than in an S. I get by with an S60 now, SR has 50km more range than I have now. LR is a huge step up for road trips, but if you don't travel much it's hard to swallow an extra 12k cdn.

Looking at Yue Yue's numbers, the hit is no worse than in an S. I get by with an S60 now, SR has 50km more range than I have now. LR is a huge step up for road trips, but if you don't travel much it's hard to swallow an extra 12k cdn.

I agree. I will only do a maximum of 4 trips a year where the LR will make a difference in my time. But it can be a sizable difference. In any case much better value at the lower price for all other travel. Can use the wife's CRV for longer drives. But if I'm not using it for long highway travel why get Autopilot? Boom just saved almost $20k! I like that much better. But somehow that version of the car isn't as appealing to me. If it's going to be a glorified city car, I could save even more by buying a Used EV, lots of good deals on the BMW i3 will be had soon. Probably $20k well equipped by next year. If I thought it could handle Canadian Winters well and not spin out with that massive regen and unusual tire sizes I probably would've grabbed one already.

Long distance trip is different than regular city short trips.
Battery isn’t warm yet and I have arrived
also snow tires has higher rolling resistance, contributing higher battery usage

Could this be a ploy by Tesla to secure more of the reservations and not have more cancellations? It sounds too good to be true, lol.

Kona and Ioniq BEV is coming this year, so is the Mini Cooper (2019) and then the 2019 Leaf. There will be other Euro BEVs too in 2019. I know they don't have a SCN but I don't really care much unless there will always be an empty charger or just one or two individuals queuing at each charger.

I'm not cancelling my reservation but not so sure if I want to put in another $2,500 with the uncertainty of getting approved for Tesla Financing because they only tell us about the loan approval/rejection 30 days before delivery.

Hopefully they allow for pre-approval because if rejected (RBC and Scotia underwriting Tesla Financing), then $3,500 goes down the drain because looking at least at 6% interest per annum at financial institutions in Canada, I'm going to skip the M3 for sure.

I agree. I will only do a maximum of 4 trips a year where the LR will make a difference in my time. But it can be a sizable difference. In any case much better value at the lower price for all other travel. Can use the wife's CRV for longer drives. But if I'm not using it for long highway travel why get Autopilot? Boom just saved almost $20k! I like that much better. But somehow that version of the car isn't as appealing to me. If it's going to be a glorified city car, I could save even more by buying a Used EV, lots of good deals on the BMW i3 will be had soon. Probably $20k well equipped by next year. If I thought it could handle Canadian Winters well and not spin out with that massive regen and unusual tire sizes I probably would've grabbed one already.
You could still use the SR for your road trips. I do it now with less range.

Yes, I thought so too until my uncle took out a tape measure, pulled it out to the average age of Canadian male at death (82) so 82", then he put his thumb on 52" and I got to look at what is behind me and ahead of me. It really put it in perspective. Plus, time moves slow as a kid and races as an adult -- and add to that will my last 5 or so years be healthy? If not, that's what 25 healthy summers left? -- barring any other issues. That's not "lots ahead" to me.

So hurry up Model 3!

Thanks ;) I was putting in cupboard shelving for my wife’s craft room today and had the tape measure out. Just turned 64..........

Planning loaded Dual motor but really want the white interior. Lots of chatter on the forums about a ‘3 month Canadian Production window’ to push the 200,000 US deliveries into Q3. After that production shifting back to the US. I guess I’ll take a black interior if I have to......:)

Looking more like Mid 2018 is accurate. They have now changed the Model 3 FAQ’s to reflect the following:

Deliveries will start in the United States first, with international deliveries starting in left-hand drive markets in mid 2018, followed by right-hand drive markets in early 2019.

Reactions: internalaudit
It's surprising to me that Tesla would pull us all forward like this (I'd love it if true!) because wouldn't that just reduce the number of US buyers that could get the full tax credit? Unless they can divert most of Q2 production and delay the 200k US delivery to Q3 but as the ramp continues that seems harder to pull off. Here's hoping everybody wins, we'll know soon enough.

I thought the tax credit was just counting 200k BEVs sold in the US for each manufacturer?
After they hit 200k they have that quarter and the next quarter at full tax credit, then it starts scaling back. I think that's correct anyway.
So, if Tesla times it and hits their 200k US delivery early in a quarter, they will have almost 6 months of further full tax credit vehicles. And if their production ramp is up by then, that could potentially be 100k to 150k vehicles.

After they hit 200k they have that quarter and the next quarter at full tax credit, then it starts scaling back. I think that's correct anyway.
So, if Tesla times it and hits their 200k US delivery early in a quarter, they will have almost 6 months of further full tax credit vehicles. And if their production ramp is up by then, that could potentially be 100k to 150k vehicles.

Okay, if it's 200k production, then it doesn't matter if it's US or other country-bound then. Makes sense to sell higher margin cars of course.

I thought 200k was for local consumption in the US.