Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceiling-mount my HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[FONT=&amp]My P85 is due in February. I'm considering mounting my HPWC similar to how this guy did -[/FONT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCM2V2t7XTA [FONT=&amp]-As can be seen in his video, he mounted his HPWC vertically, but I'm considering mounting it horizontally against the ceiling with the conduit in the attic. I have two questions: [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1. Is there any reason a ceiling-mounted HPWC would not meet code (vertical or horizontal)? I'm in Weston, Florida (Broward County)and I believe the NEC applies.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]2. Am I correct that I will not need to install a Service Disconnect because the 100A breaker in the panel will serve as my Service Disconnect. My breaker panel is in my garage about 10 feet away of the spot on the ceiling where I would like to mount the HPWC.[/FONT]

My P85 is due in February. I'm considering mounting my HPWC similar to how this guy did -[/FONT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCM2V2t7XTA [FONT=&]-As can be seen in his video, he mounted his HPWC vertically, but I'm considering mounting it horizontally against the ceiling with the conduit in the attic. I have two questions: [/FONT]

1. Is there any reason a ceiling-mounted HPWC would not meet code (vertical or horizontal)? I'm in Weston, Florida (Broward County)and I believe the NEC applies.[/FONT]

2. Am I correct that I will not need to install a Service Disconnect because the 100A breaker in the panel will serve as my Service Disconnect. My breaker panel is in my garage about 10 feet away of the spot on the ceiling where I would like to mount the HPWC.[/FONT]

I don't see any issues with it. Your disconnect is accessible, that's what counts there. As for how it is mounted, unless the instructions specifically say that you may not mount it horizontally (and I haven't looked at them in a while so I don't know) you should be okay.

The only concern I would have is the potential for heat build-up to occur in the device against the ceiling and shorten the life of the electronics, but then again it's a NEMA 3R enclosure and can be installed in direct sunlight, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

[FONT=&quot]In the end, I decided against installing my HPWC on the ceiling and I mounted it conventionally on the wall between two of my garage doors. When my P85 arrives, I plan to dress the cable overhead to keep it out of the way when charging.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&amp] [/FONT]

Last edited: