Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell Phone Bluetooth Keyfob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From this article, about Model 3.

Tesla Model 3 first drive experience: a smaller Model S with a minimalist look

"Now you have to actually get in the car. Tesla is parting ways with its concept of using a key fob that looks like the car and instead, it will rely primarily on the owner’s phone.

Tesla’s app will take an increasingly more important role and the Model 3 will be Bluetooth connected to the owner phone in order to unlock the doors as they approach."

I would be ok having bluetooth unlock option added to my car. However, I don't want to give up my key, and I wouldn't leave my key at home. I can't tell you how many times the bluetooth doesn't connect to the car, or won't connect without a restart.

Also, the car's bluetooth will need to be on all the time. As I understand it now, the Model S only tries to connect bluetooth when you open the door.

Reactions: P100DHG.
I think this is a great move by Tesla. I gave up keys for my home a couple years ago and rely on home automation with mobile presence(GPS) from mobile phone and have never had a problem because I have a backup (keycode PIN is used when I have a problem with home automation). Same for the car, use your phone, and if that fails, use the card in your wallet. Keys are not necessary anymore.

I know, bad name for a thread. Seeing the Model 3 reveal got me thinking... Since the key fobs for the Model S and X are bluetooth connected, I wonder what the odds are that they'll enable a cell phone to work as a fob for the existing Bluetooth fob'd S's and X's?

Conjecture begin now....
The model S fobs are not bluetooth connected. They are on 315 MHz. I don't know, since I've never seen one, but the model X fobs are also probably on 315 MHz.

Also, the car's bluetooth will need to be on all the time. As I understand it now, the Model S only tries to connect bluetooth when you open the door.

Pretty sure the way Bluetooth LE works is that things don't necessarily have to be on in a high power setting. Devices like "Tiles", which use a single battery and last over a year, as well as the current iteration of the key fobs use this technology.

I think this is a great move by Tesla. I gave up keys for my home a couple years ago and rely on home automation with mobile presence(GPS) from mobile phone and have never had a problem because I have a backup (keycode PIN is used when I have a problem with home automation). Same for the car, use your phone, and if that fails, use the card in your wallet. Keys are not necessary anymore.

Really great move. I hate carrying anything in my pockets anymore. My last keyfob got destroyed in my pocket, so now I'm really leery on things being in there.

The model S fobs are not bluetooth connected. They are on 315 MHz. I don't know, since I've never seen one, but the model X fobs are also probably on 315 MHz.

Not according to this Electrek article. The only other thought is that this was a rouse to hide the Model 3 development.

I was told by my service center the model X fobs are Bluetooth connected but that the S are not, similar to @ahkahn's Electrek article. It would make an interesting S retrofit. I am definitely in the "I don't need a miniature version of my car in my pocket since I always keep my phone there" camp.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: P100DHG. and ahkahn