Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console LED light bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here is the other one mentioned, I may do a mix of the two, power from the side (save my USB's) but use the LED from this thread
Any way to upgrade the dome lights

Open the right side of the center console.
There is a two wire (brown and white) plug which connects the LED from inside the middle center console to 12v.
Unplug this, and plug in your own 12v LED. The plug/connector is the same one used in all the interior LED's.
Attach that LED to the underside of the display mount.
The lid open/close sensor is not wired in line with this power line, so you're good to go.

20180924_072041-jpg.339269

This is the LED strip and connector I used for the trunk. You only need a strip of 3 LED for this purpose.

20180703_090950-jpg.339268

Posted originally by :
chojn1
Hi Flyguyaaron,
Would you be able to post a few pics? 1) Where the LED was installed, 2) Does it activate when the center is opened like chojn1 video, 3) a pic of how bright the LEDs are?

Also how did you run the wire from the right side of the of the center console to the screen display mount?

Thanks again

Wow! Let me digest a lot of the feedback.

This was accomplished by plugging the USB powered light into a USB hub below the phone dock. So for those who are asking, it is on when the car is on, maybe if someone makes a USB powered timer or something you could program it to be off during the day and on at night. But during the day you can’t really see it. So I’m good with it being on when the car is running.

I would want to refine the install before sharing it too much. Also, let it be noted that I am in the north east. So this has not had a chance to stand the test of warm weather possibly degrading the adhesives used.

So yeah this is really simple, the hardest part was actually finding out how to do it and what parts I needed.

Here is what you need:

1) The actual LED bar: This comes in a 10 pack which is obviously excessive. You only need a 1 pack but I didn’t see it on Amazon right now. I don’t know if anyone can find a single pack but I bought this 10 pack. You take one of the LED bars and covers, cut it to your desired fit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LL2SLME?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

2) Adhesive strip to attach LED bar to the phone dock cover: This is also an excessively long adhesive strip. Can probably use any generic strip, but this one was designed and recommended for this particular LED bar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074J3X2SJ?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

3) The LED light: So this is the actual LED light. You cut it to fit the LED bar, put the cover over the LED bar and plug it in. That’s it folks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LG99O0K?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Like I said, I will look into more refining to make it better. But it looks awesome right now as it is. This really is super simple. If you get everything from amazon all you will need additionally is some kind of saw to cut the LED bar and cover. I used a small multi tool but you could use a small sawzall or other small cutting saw.

Hope this helps everyone. Any improvements and/or recommendations to make this better would be great to share with the community.

Hey Everyone,

I tried the above modification, but I may have missed something. I can not see anywhere to mount this that will allow you to close the lid no matter where you place it. The first picture is the ideal placement to easily hide the wire to the usb port, but lid will not close. I was thinking to mount it on the front of the armrest and plug in to the 12 volt outlet or just eliminate the aluminum casing and apply the LED's underneath the lid. Any other suggestions?

Gary

To anyone who is interested, I installed this LED light bar right above the phone dock. Pictures don’t do it justice but it is AWESOME. If anyone wants the details on how I did it I would love to share. Cost was less than $50 and super easy to do.

Torch0395 - I just realized I purchased the incorrect aluminum housing and now stuck with a lot of it. Would you consider selling me one of yours to complete my project?

I haven’t bought this yet but it’s bluetooth connected to phone, scheduling feature and proximity sensor. May allow it to be more functional then an always on light depending on how well the controls work.

Smart Color Light Strip USB LED LTB010 with Bluetooth, 2 meters (6.5ft) LED Strip, Water Resistant, 16 Million Colors, Proximity Control, Schedule On/Off, Dimmable, Apple Watch Compatable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HELCF5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X19lCbGETKYM0

Do you know what that connector is? (I.e. manufacturer PN for pins and housing, and/or Mouser/Digikey PNs?)

To save anyone else the trouble, and for reference:

The pin side is TE/AMP housing 1-1534155-1 (Mouser 571-1-1534155-1) which requires retainer 1534027-1 (571-1534027-1) and takes several different possible pins, but you probably want 1-928918-1 (571-1-928918-1-CT).

The socket side is 1-1534113-1 which requires retainer 1534112-1 and takes several etc.: 1-1534113-1 (571-1355717-1-CT).

All six are on this Octopart BOM (but watch out for part number/quantity weirdness, like when Mouser thinks "1" is one cut strip of 100 terminals, etc. Also, always order spare crimp pins -- if you need me to tell you that, you probably don't have the experience to be doing this. YMMV, do not taunt happy fun ball, etc.) https://octopart.com/bom-tool/Zh0rDCLS

Reactions: Akikiki
Alright everyone, I have looked over every thread I can find on this and decided I wanted one that would be on when the car is on, so I decided to go with USB, hopefully the USB ports up front will have enough power for this:
LightingWill Black 6 inch LED Under Cabinet Lighting, CRI90 SMD2835, 5V Daylight White 5000K-6000K,3W(5W Fluorescent Tube Equivalent) 160LM Under Counter Lighting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXXC5B7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VHumCbW2ZA3Y3

Will update after I get it as this would be one of the easiest and cheapest ways in my opinion

I haven’t bought this yet but it’s bluetooth connected to phone, scheduling feature and proximity sensor. May allow it to be more functional then an always on light depending on how well the controls work.

Smart Color Light Strip USB LED LTB010 with Bluetooth, 2 meters (6.5ft) LED Strip, Water Resistant, 16 Million Colors, Proximity Control, Schedule On/Off, Dimmable, Apple Watch Compatable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HELCF5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X19lCbGETKYM0
I don’t think this will work as well as you might want, since you can only use 7” or so of the strip of mounting to the lid you may not get many LED’s I test for a similar strip and it didn’t give much light, just something to consider

Alright everyone, I have looked over every thread I can find on this and decided I wanted one that would be on when the car is on, so I decided to go with USB, hopefully the USB ports up front will have enough power for this:
LightingWill Black 6 inch LED Under Cabinet Lighting, CRI90 SMD2835, 5V Daylight White 5000K-6000K,3W(5W Fluorescent Tube Equivalent) 160LM Under Counter Lighting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXXC5B7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VHumCbW2ZA3Y3

Will update after I get it as this would be one of the easiest and cheapest ways in my opinion

That looks like an excellent option. I just wish I could control the color because I want that electric blue LED color over my white console. Please let me know if it looks like the LED's can be removed to insert a lightstring of my own choosing. If that's possible, this is the most economical way of adding some cool lighting over the console.

Ah I see what you did, that’s really smart!

Thanks! I used the Luminoodle LED lights which allows you to control the brightness and color. It worked better than expected. That electric blue looks awesome. I also purchased 2 USB LED lights to plug into the back seat USB connectors for the blue look to carry into the back seat. You can also control color and brightness on those lights also. Really gives a nice look to the interior. I'm just surprised this thread hasn't received more interest given our interiors are poorly lit and this is an easy and inexpensive modification with big impact on the interior look.

Reactions: phaheem
Thanks! I used the Luminoodle LED lights which allows you to control the brightness and color. It worked better than expected. That electric blue looks awesome. I also purchased 2 USB LED lights to plug into the back seat USB connectors for the blue look to carry into the back seat. You can also control color and brightness on those lights also. Really gives a nice look to the interior. I'm just surprised this thread hasn't received more interest given our interiors are poorly lit and this is an easy and inexpensive modification with big impact on the interior look.
Would love to see pics of the lights in the back seats