Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console now standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like this thread is going in circles. :confused:

The no-console supporters feel like they're right because the car was designed without a console, "as it should be", and they're just fine without any place to put things because they don't have things to put.

The console supporters feel vindicated by the fact that Tesla now includes one standard because "that's what people want" and they have things that need a place to be put.

Do I have it right? :p

I feel like this thread is going in circles. :confused:

The no-console supporters feel like they're right because the car was designed without a console, "as it should be", and they're just fine without any place to put things because they don't have things to put.

The console supporters feel vindicated by the fact that Tesla now includes one standard because "that's what people want" and they have things that need a place to be put.

Do I have it right? :p
Yeah, that's about right.
I would also add the stereotype that the EV/tech enthusiasts are anti-standard console and those coming from luxury cars are pro-standard console.

Let's pivot to something we all agree upon. The console sounds like something that should be optional (as I believe @brianman said upthread) because there are good arguments for both configurations. I've heard plenty of arguments from people who use the car differently than I do, and I see where they benefit from a console. However, I don't want to be stuck with one since mine would just be in the way.

Agreed? OK, back to the topic - it appears the console is standard without an option. So maybe if someone's ordering a MS, they should ask if it could be optional (assuming that's what they want).

Agreed? OK, back to the topic - it appears the console is standard without an option. So maybe if someone's ordering a MS, they should ask if it could be optional (assuming that's what they want).
There is precedent for that too. For instance, some people ordered their S with "alcantara delete" on the dash.

When the original fabric headliner was available, the alcantara was a paid upgrade. However, getting it also changed two sections of the dash from black leather to black alcantara (even if you got the white alcantara). However, if you asked, Tesla was able to use some custom codes in the back-end to get the full leather dash instead.

Perhaps something like this would happen?

There is precedent for that too. For instance, some people ordered their S with "alcantara delete" on the dash.

When the original fabric headliner was available, the alcantara was a paid upgrade. However, getting it also changed two sections of the dash from black leather to black alcantara (even if you got the white alcantara). However, if you asked, Tesla was able to use some custom codes in the back-end to get the full leather dash instead.

Perhaps something like this would happen?

And while the red brake calipers were included in the price when I ordered my P85D, I thought they'd look a little flashy for my tastes on my blue car, so opted not to get them, even though there was no cost savings by opting out of them. Tesla had no problem doing that.

I fear, though, for people interested in ordering a car without a center console, it may not be that simple. I would worry that Tesla is now so into streamlining production, and reducing configuration options, that they may just be standardizing on including the built-in console, and because of the pieces it attaches to, etc., they just can't offer a "no-console" option, because they don't plan to keep purchasing those other parts.

For the sake of those who would want a Tesla without a console, I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
And while the red brake pads were included when I ordered my P85D, I thought they'd look a little flashy for my tastes on my blue car, so opted not to get them, even though there was no cost savings by opting out of them. Tesla had no problem doing that.
Hey, I did the same thing - black calipers for me as well. I did keep the P85 badging on the back, though. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: Andyw2100
Dont really disagree about any of the other points such as door pockets, adaptive lights, missing HUD and the horrible cupholder-placement among many nitpicks. But the center console is a feature I really hate in most newer cars as it makes my right leg go to sleep on longer drives. Driving the model s for hours has no such problem:) thus for me it is a definite plus and I honestly havent wanted a console there once.

BMWs are worst in class actually when it comes to me and center consoles as it builds out towards the driver(sadly much better room in the passenger seat). I refused to buy a 5-series wagon some 5years ago due to the center console alone. I really liked the rest of that car and oooh the comfort seats. Tested a X3 as well which was even worse with its center console.

My grief with the comment by @AustinPowers was that it was written as if no normal person could ever want the current setup without "convincing ourselves" that we really needed/wanted it this way. To me that convincing-statement more than implies that my opinion isnt valid and/or really isnt even my own opinion in the first place.

I cheered when I realised that Tesla had made it possible to utilize the space left open by the ev-drivetrain:) I needed no convincing at all...

At the same time I have no problem seeing that my long leg issues isnt an issue for most people;)

I have very long legs too, but I had planned to put a center console in my Model S when I get it. My current car doesn't have one, but it does have door pockets and good storage in the armrest as well as a couple of drawers in the instrument panel. My last car before that had no storage and it looked like a rolling garbage skip much of the time because nothing could be stored anywhere. Having some storage in the car is an important feature to me.

I hear and respect the differing opinions on this. Some women like the open space for their purse. My SO wouldn't, she refuses to carry one. In the winter she uses her jacket pockets and in warmer weather she occasionally carries a small bag that remains strapped to her body (she gets quite angry if anyone calls it a purse) or more usually just uses her pants (trouser) pockets when she is wearing pants with enough pockets. She thinks women who carry duffle bags around are ridiculous.

Other people like the minimalist look of the car without a console.

I think it would be a good idea to enable the center console's removal so people who don't like it can go back to the original look.

Reactions: darthy001
After reading all the comments so far for and against, my original comment stands: provide the console but make it removable. That way, with hope, Tesla can satisfy all the people all the time around this issue.

Yeah, good luck with that one. ;)

Yep, you can never satisfy everyone. That is why the larger the democracy the larger the minority being discriminated against. Some like the console, some don't. Personally I think I'm one of those who convinced themselves they don't need one. After 3 years of driving without one, I am totally fine without it, yet there are still times where I wish I had one, and most of the time a better cup holder placement than right under my elbow would be reason enough. I also place the seat slightly closer to the steering wheel than I would otherwise do so that I can rest my knee on the bottom corner of the MCU screen rather than it falling into the center hole. So in this case I seem to be in the majority who think a center console is probably a good thing (with all the room it should be nice a roomy). Then again, I am definitely in the minority who wouldn't pick the pano roof even if it was free.

Btw, did anyone who has a confirmed order with a console check with their DS whether the Yacht Floor can be installed as a retrofit removing the console? It would simply reverse the current status where there is no console by default and you have to pay for retrofit to get one, to a new way where you have to pay to remove it by installing Yacht floor retrofit.

Yep, you can never satisfy everyone. That is why the larger the democracy the larger the minority being discriminated against. Some like the console, some don't. Personally I think I'm one of those who convinced themselves they don't need one. After 3 years of driving without one, I am totally fine without it, yet there are still times where I wish I had one, and most of the time a better cup holder placement than right under my elbow would be reason enough. I also place the seat slightly closer to the steering wheel than I would otherwise do so that I can rest my knee on the bottom corner of the MCU screen rather than it falling into the center hole. So in this case I seem to be in the majority who think a center console is probably a good thing (with all the room it should be nice a roomy). Then again, I am definitely in the minority who wouldn't pick the pano roof even if it was free.

Btw, did anyone who has a confirmed order with a console check with their DS whether the Yacht Floor can be installed as a retrofit removing the console? It would simply reverse the current status where there is no console by default and you have to pay for retrofit to get one, to a new way where you have to pay to remove it by installing Yacht floor retrofit.

I don't like the pano roof nor do I like leather seats, though I wish there was a way to mount a roof rack with the standard roof. I wish they would just kill off the existing standard seats and just make the next gen the standard with and without leather.

I don't like having windows above me in a car. According to Bjorn it lets in cold in the winter. I don't live in as cold a climate as Bjorn, but my SO complains bitterly when the temperatures drop below 60 F and the daily highs are below 60 at least 6 months a year around here.

Some cars, the glass has a sliding door so it can be closed off, but the Model S has only the optional sunshade, which doesn't completely block out the world. Open like that, it lets in cold in the winter and heat in the summer.

The cold in the winter and hot in the summer is a major reason I don't like leather seats either.

I'm 6'2" tall, but all my height is below the waist. The standard roof has plenty of headroom for me.