Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console now standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so, I see that its visible in the design studio, but its not a selectable option and when showing the interior during the check out section, it shows the interior without the CCC. Its inconsistent at best, but more likely an option like what has already been noted - maybe its part of a package, and current drivers know how lacking the interior is with protected (from prying eyes) storage is in the cabin....it would solve a problem.

What is interesting to note, is that when you select the trim the hinged door remains a constant color - it actually looks like they might have finished it in the same leather. Given the fiasco that they have had trying to match the trim, this would make perfect sense and finally solve the unsolvable problem that they have faced with the MFG process.

It's funny, because I feel the opposite is the case. It seems (from my perspective) that those of us who prefer no console are being marginalized. The last two posts say that we are blinded by Tesla love, and obviously can't have a reasonable opinion.

I hope I never gave the impression that I marginalized yours or anyone else's opinion. I think everyone's opinions are valid. I just think we all need to be mindful of others when we make them.

Different strokes different folks man. I don't like the pockets either just like how I don't like the "oh sh*" handles. It detracts away from the cleanliness of the lines and design.

this response just begs the question...how often are you scooping up unnecessary items in your console-less trough? Before I got the console I found every few days something would get dropped in there and slosh around that by default didn't have a place to sit in the car, but wasn't deemed a trunk item....the "Ill grab that later" quickly becomes a catch all area. Just my experience, but Im guessing that Im not alone.

No center console here. I wanted one at first, but my wife said that's her purse space.

And we agreed to wait and see if I can live without one. I got used to not having a center console.

I keep all my junk in the glove box. The trough area remains empty. The only use I'd get out of the center console is a normal cup holder. Otherwise I don't keep much in my car.

Doesn't the location of the current cup-holders bother you? I have nowhere to put my elbow when I have a bottle of water in there!
At first it did, but I've found workarounds.

On my daily commute, I bring a thermos of coffee and put it into the passenger side cupholder, so my elbow remains on the drivers side.
On roadtrips, we rarely have 2 drinks in the car, and if we do, at least one of them can be put in the trough (if it's closable).

Like I said, the only use out of the center console I'd have is a normal cup holder as the current design sucks. I can understand people who love the empty space (my wife), I can understand people who keep a lot of stuff in their cars (alright, I can't understand them, but I can acknowledge that they exist), etc.

I'm neutral to having one or not having one now, so if it came standard I wouldn't complain, or if they decided to get rid of it, I wouldn't complain.

At first it did, but I've found workarounds.

On my daily commute, I bring a thermos of coffee and put it into the passenger side cupholder, so my elbow remains on the drivers side.
On roadtrips, we rarely have 2 drinks in the car, and if we do, at least one of them can be put in the trough (if it's closable).

Like I said, the only use out of the center console I'd have is a normal cup holder as the current design sucks. I can understand people who love the empty space (my wife), I can understand people who keep a lot of stuff in their cars (alright, I can't understand them, but I can acknowledge that they exist), etc.

I'm neutral to having one or not having one now, so if it came standard I wouldn't complain, or if they decided to get rid of it, I wouldn't complain.
Humans are adaptive creatures, aren't we? If something doesn't work or is missing we somehow figure out a work-around and move on in life.

Reactions: Max*
this response just begs the question...how often are you scooping up unnecessary items in your console-less trough? Before I got the console I found every few days something would get dropped in there and slosh around that by default didn't have a place to sit in the car, but wasn't deemed a trunk item....the "Ill grab that later" quickly becomes a catch all area.

What kind of items do you guys end up with? I think the reason I am a no-console guy is because I don't like clutter. My car has two pairs of sunglasses (in the cubby), a few microfiber cleaning cloths for the displays and my glasses, a small box of tissues, my phone, and in the trunk I keep my shopping bags. Mail gets dropped in the center but always comes in the house with me.

Reactions: WMAC
After reading all the comments so far for and against, my original comment stands: provide the console but make it removable. That way, with hope, Tesla can satisfy all the people all the time around this issue.

Yeah, good luck with that one. ;)
Removable* is more expensive and potentially less safe. I totally agree that optional is the right path, but removable I suspect is asking too much.

* I'm presuming you mean "easily customer removable in minutes". If you mean "as difficult to remove as a 12V battery", then I suspect that's already the case.

That's exactly why I'm a console guy! I don't like clutter either and if it's all put away (in the console) I don't have to see it. Things in the console? Oh boy, protein bars, Taser, pens, pencils, cables, chargers, TicTacs, flashlight, knife and on and on.
I bet your car is loud when you floor it or brake hard. That's a lot of stuff.

I do the same.

Like I said, the only use out of the center console I'd have is a normal cup holder as the current design sucks.

That's the key for me. I have a Diono Travel Pal I use. It wedges under the cubby and provides 6 inside pockets. One holds chap stick, one my screen cloths, a third some business cards, fourth is a bottle of cologne, fifth is some napkins, sixth is empty. There is a zippered section in the back that I keep spare keyfob batteries in. The main section, like our raceway, has my J1772 adapter (though I could just put that in the glove box) and my Tesla hat. It then has two elastic cup holders that I regularly use for water bottles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max*
I meant in the console. As an example, when my J1772 gets "loose" in the glove box it's terribly distracting.

Well, let me clarify further - I'm driving an S550 presently (waiting to order my S for a little longer). I have all my junk in the console, door pockets and glove box. I've never noticed any sound from anywhere when driving. That J1772 might make some noise though if I had one in there.....

What kind of items do you guys end up with? I think the reason I am a no-console guy is because I don't like clutter. My car has two pairs of sunglasses (in the cubby), a few microfiber cleaning cloths for the displays and my glasses, a small box of tissues, my phone, and in the trunk I keep my shopping bags. Mail gets dropped in the center but always comes in the house with me.

I may be OCD, but ANYTHING sitting there in the trough bugged me. If I was not going immediately home I had to make sure that things (even items like your mail) didn't look attractive enough for a quick smash and grab. Then things like a microfiber cloth, pens, a wallet and glasses - it doesnt all fit in the cubby - keep just a small flashlight and some papers in the glove box (plus its not convenient to reach over to and search through), and it fills up so,...it gets dumped into the center. The console was a no brainer - otherwise why even have that real estate.

My wife keeps her purse where its always been...her responsibility.

Reactions: Soundchasr
I meant in the console. As an example, when my J1772 gets "loose" in the glove box it's terribly distracting.

funny even the glove box is tiny - if this car didn't have an electronic manual Im not sure a hard copy would fit in there...and if it did, good luck on your connector sharing the space. i suppose you could always have it roll around on the yacht floor. though...plenty of room there ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Soundchasr
I think it's safe to say that largely speaking, people prefer center consoles.
I think it's safe to say that many people who thought they preferred a center console are just as happy if not happier without one. It was a matter of habit from pervious cars when they needed to carry maps, cassette tapes, CDs, etc. that aren't used now, so they don't miss having the console. The open space is more flexible for carrying larger objects- - purse, iPad, etc. if I had a console in my Model S it would be empty. I wouldn't know what to put in it.

Reactions: Max* and darthy001