Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console - which charger comes standard? iPhone lightning or Micro USB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. When placing an order, Tesla doesn't ask for what type of phone charger pin to install in the integrated center console (micro USB or iPhone lightning port). How do I make sure that when they deliver the car, the console has the type of charger pin I want? Or is it something they add at delivery day based on the customer's need?

It takes about 5-10 minutes to install, if like our DS, she just gave us the box that had both connectors and said we could install it later on our own (Gee! Thanks!).

I can say that with an iPhone in a bumper style case ... (vs one that just protects from minor scratches), you may find that your phone won't connect and charge. My wife's phone doesn't sit down far enough and won't charge.

It takes about 5-10 minutes to install, if like our DS, she just gave us the box that had both connectors and said we could install it later on our own (Gee! Thanks!).

I can say that with an iPhone in a bumper style case ... (vs one that just protects from minor scratches), you may find that your phone won't connect and charge. My wife's phone doesn't sit down far enough and won't charge.
There are hacks to raise the lighting connector a little bit. It should be enough to clear most standard cases. It's quite simple. Search on the forum if you are interested.

A mod to the connector might raise it enough to charge. However, if your case is thick enough, like my Tech21, the snap-in guides that stop the phone from flopping backwards with acceleration and putting undue stress on the connector and phone, the phone will not fit. You'd have to remove the guides and either hack something to hold the phone in place, or risk damage to your power jack.

Nice idea and design if you don't use a case, or one that's less protective.

As noted earlier in this thread you get both at delivery. For me, they quickly installed the one I wanted in about 2 minutes when I took delivery. However, this feature is worthless to me. They installed it and I never used it again because 95% of people will have their phone in a case that makes this unusable. I don't want to have to hack a solution. Really terrible design and it still bugs me how they did it. I just use one of my cables plugged in to the usb port and set my phone in a cup holder or on the passenger seat.