TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Center screen defect (not bubbles)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by RunDeep, Mar 27, 2018.

1. RunDeep

RunDeep Member

Just scheduled my first service and then noticed some strange defects (?) on the center screen. The run along the top ~1/4 of the display on each side and about the same across the top. I haven't seen pictures like this before, anybody else seen them/know a cause?

Screen left.jpg Screen right.jpg

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Yeah, the yellowing border has been reported before, appears to be a bad batch of screens. They will replace the screen for you.

3. Shateam

Shateam Member

• Helpful x 1
  4. RunDeep

RunDeep Member

That's it, thanks to you both.

5. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

They told me they were only going to replace the screen, so I didn't bother waiting for MCU2 to get released. Turns out they replaced my entire MCU, and MCU2 came out a few days later lol. You should call ahead of your appointment to let them know about the screen if you want to get it done at the same time as the appointment. It took them over 2 months to source the replacement part for me.

6. GregKo

GregKo Member

I had this with both my cars. Its a known issue and they replaced mine with a new original (NON MCU2). Works fine now.

7. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tesla has had two batches of bad adhesive on the touchscreens, requiring eventual replacement.

The early S production cars started getting bubbles under the touchscreen - which was fixed by replacing the touchscreen (which comes with a new MCU).

Last year, the problem is with bad adhesive around the screen edges, turning yellow over time - also fixed by a touchscreen replacement (evidently including an MCU).

In both cases, the problems didn't appear to impact the operation of the touchscreen - only the appearance.

Since Tesla likely has a batch of the older MCU's in stock, anyone getting the touchscreen replacement may not get the new MCU, at least until they run out of their stockpile.

If you have the screen yellowing, you could report it as a problem (so Tesla logs it for future replacement) but defer getting it installed until someone reports online that they got the new MCU when their touchscreen was replaced.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Their stockpile would never run out unless they stop refurbishing them...

9. AndrewTX

AndrewTX Member

Bumping this thread as this problem just started occurring to my March, 2017 MS75. Has anyone reported getting an MCU2 when having this issue repaired?

10. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

No, and there's plenty of reason to believe that won't be happening until at least the 5th of Never.

11. AndrewTX

AndrewTX Member

I didn't think so, and don't really care that much. Until this discoloration showed up, I've had no complaints with its performance.