Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center screen defect (not bubbles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just scheduled my first service and then noticed some strange defects (?) on the center screen. The run along the top ~1/4 of the display on each side and about the same across the top. I haven't seen pictures like this before, anybody else seen them/know a cause?

Screen left.jpg
Screen right.jpg

Just scheduled my first service and then noticed some strange defects (?) on the center screen. The run along the top ~1/4 of the display on each side and about the same across the top. I haven't seen pictures like this before, anybody else seen them/know a cause?

View attachment 289709 View attachment 289711

Yeah, the yellowing border has been reported before, appears to be a bad batch of screens. They will replace the screen for you.

That's it, thanks to you both.
They told me they were only going to replace the screen, so I didn't bother waiting for MCU2 to get released. Turns out they replaced my entire MCU, and MCU2 came out a few days later lol. You should call ahead of your appointment to let them know about the screen if you want to get it done at the same time as the appointment. It took them over 2 months to source the replacement part for me.

Tesla has had two batches of bad adhesive on the touchscreens, requiring eventual replacement.

The early S production cars started getting bubbles under the touchscreen - which was fixed by replacing the touchscreen (which comes with a new MCU).

Last year, the problem is with bad adhesive around the screen edges, turning yellow over time - also fixed by a touchscreen replacement (evidently including an MCU).

In both cases, the problems didn't appear to impact the operation of the touchscreen - only the appearance.

Since Tesla likely has a batch of the older MCU's in stock, anyone getting the touchscreen replacement may not get the new MCU, at least until they run out of their stockpile.

If you have the screen yellowing, you could report it as a problem (so Tesla logs it for future replacement) but defer getting it installed until someone reports online that they got the new MCU when their touchscreen was replaced.