Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish there was a forum member that can rent is this adaptor for $10 a week lol. I don’t need it 99.9% of the time but the off chance road trip it would be nice to have one. There was a chademo charger in Monterey Bay that would have been great to use. I just charge to 90% before proceeding to Monterey where I slept with a relatively high SOC. So I can make it to the next supercharger. But I would have loved to have had this adapter that time. Otherwise I don’t need it.

Safely passing 50kw of power isn’t a task you want to delegate to a cheap piece of crap.

Active electronics for session negotiation, safety features like thermal monitoring, etc etc etc...

Plus maybe license fees for the CHADeMO technology? (unsure)

But then the other side of the coin is “what they think the market will bear”. Pricing does not have to have anything to do with the cost of the unit (as long as it is not under production cost).

Moreover though, this is not something Tesla *wants* to support or encourage. They would much rather folks install proprietary wall connectors and use superchargers. They don’t want CHAdeMO to succeed (also it is a massive and bulky connector that really needs to die so I am OK with this to some degree.

I would love to have one though “just in case”.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
What makes this so hard that they cost $450?
Volume of production, too. It's not a really common item that they are going to build millions of. It took them over a year to develop. That is a lot of engineering and R&D and employee man-hours. Are those many tens of thousands of dollars of development costs going to be spread out over 500 units they sell, or 500,000 units? I assure you it is closer to 500, and they knew that, so each one is going to be expensive to bear some of that cost load.

Reactions: davewill
Volume of production, too. It's not a really common item that they are going to build millions of. It took them over a year to develop. That is a lot of engineering and R&D and employee man-hours. Are those many tens of thousands of dollars of development costs going to be spread out over 500 units they sell, or 500,000 units? I assure you it is closer to 500, and they knew that, so each one is going to be expensive to bear some of that cost load.
Agree. I suspect they might be losing money at that price if the volume is only 500. We are so used to mass production prices.

I wish there was a forum member that can rent is this adaptor for $10 a week lol. I don’t need it 99.9% of the time but the off chance road trip it would be nice to have one. There was a chademo charger in Monterey Bay that would have been great to use. I just charge to 90% before proceeding to Monterey where I slept with a relatively high SOC. So I can make it to the next supercharger. But I would have loved to have had this adapter that time. Otherwise I don’t need it.

I'd pick one up if I thought there was a rental market for it. But $10/week wouldn't cut it. At $10 a week, it would need to be rented continuously for a almost a year (including sales tax) to pay back the cost. Plus there's time spent in shipping, receiving, coordinating and communicating, the risk that it could break or be damaged, and PayPal or other transaction fees. $25/week is more realistic, or something like $25 for the first week and $18 per week thereafter. It would run about $15 each way to ship it, so you'd be looking at $55 for the first week (including round trip shipping) and $18 for each week after that. If a lot of forum members would be interested in the service, I'd be happy to set up something (but then would I need pay to be a vendor or advertiser? That would increase rates to cover such costs). If I thought there was enough of a market for the adapter to download crash data, I'd consider doing the same with that. But I'm just not sure how many Tesla owners would regularly be interested.

Quick Charge Power (e.g., @TonyWilliams) rents out CHAdeMO adapters. (CHAdeMo charging for Tesla - Adapter, Rent by the week)

Moreover though, this is not something Tesla *wants* to support or encourage. They would much rather folks install proprietary wall connectors and use superchargers. They don’t want CHAdeMO to succeed (also it is a massive and bulky connector that really needs to die so I am OK with this to some degree...

Not sure this is true. It is mandatory for certain markets, like Japan. Also very useful in areas where Superchargers haven't been built out yet. In fact, I kind of wonder if Tesla keeps track of where folks use the CHAdeMO adapters as an indication of where to build new Supercharger sites.

For true road warriors, especially those with lower range cars, CHAdeMO can be a valuable addition to ones charging kit. Though at some point, a CCS adapter would even be better.

I purchased a brand new CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla that was defective, it wouldn’t charge at some of the stations, gave a Pop and you can smell something burning in the circuit board inside. Make sure you contact Tesla Sales and they will send you a new one along with a FedEx tag to send the defected one back. Both adapters were the same exact model from the label with the exception of the serial number. The replacement works well.

Fred

Quick Charge Power (e.g., @TonyWilliams) rents out CHAdeMO adapters. (CHAdeMo charging for Tesla - Adapter, Rent by the week)

Not sure this is true. It is mandatory for certain markets, like Japan. Also very useful in areas where Superchargers haven't been built out yet. In fact, I kind of wonder if Tesla keeps track of where folks use the CHAdeMO adapters as an indication of where to build new Supercharger sites.

For true road warriors, especially those with lower range cars, CHAdeMO can be a valuable addition to ones charging kit. Though at some point, a CCS adapter would even be better.

I think that some Tesla owners groups have ones they lend out.

It definitely helps some owners. Try looking at PlugShare with Supercharger selected and then add CHAdeMO.

I rented one from them and was quite happy with the experience. I moved Hawaii and have no Superchargers or AC charging options in my apartment building. Tesla was sold out and QC Power had one available. When the Chademo adapters were back in stock I bought a new one and returned the rental. They credited my deposit back in a week.

(Tesla shipped a broken Chademo adapter and had to ship a new one I posted about the faulty adapter.)

I purchased a brand new CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla that was defective, it wouldn’t charge at some of the stations, gave a Pop and you can smell something burning in the circuit board inside. Make sure you contact Tesla Sales and they will send you a new one along with a FedEx tag to send the defected one back. Both adapters were the same exact model from the label with the exception of the serial number. The replacement works well.

Fred
Me too! The must've had a bad batch. Took two weeks and several prodding emails to get the replacement.

Me too! The must've had a bad batch. Took two weeks and several prodding emails to get the replacement.
The funny part was that the Tesla Moblie tech guy that showed up at the EVGo station to troubleshoot it, even his Adapter failed.

If anyone in the San Diego area is having issues with their adapter, send me a PM and we can meet and try both adapters, at least you will know if it’s defective or not and can request a replacement.

Fred

Local Tesla groups sometimes do exactly this. I don't have a local group (not enough people here) otherwise I would've rented one if available. That said, anyone near me... feel free to reach out!

If this was for another EV it wit oh d be useful but the supercharging network makes this less useful except for specific cases where that’s the only charger around.

Depends on region. In Canada, specifically BC, Supercharger infrastructure is not convenient for most people but there are more and more CHAdeMO/CCS stations popping up, especially for the more remote areas. It's actually necessary to reach a lot of the lower (more populated) half of BC.