Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter [Discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Oklahoma there are 5 super charger sites. But, now there are over 100 chademo/CCS sites. One company is putting in over 100 charging stations. They are the only ones available on the turnpikes now. They limit their CCS at the stations I have visited to 50kw just like their chademo plugs. They charge a lot more than Tesla, but they are available where the supercharger sites just are not anywhere near (like 100 miles away). OK is a big state and 5 Tesla sites just do not cut it.

I am getting a lot of use now out of my adapter.

Chademo adapter offers flexibility road tripping. I've taken several 2 thousands mile roundtrips. I'll stop for a meal, sometimes there is a supercharger nearby, but it's located near nothing I want to eat, but the restaurant I do want to eat at has a dc fast charger. I'll plug in there.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Perhaps, but part of my decision also had to do with the more common standard going forward.

I haven't researched every new EV, but the E-Tron, I-pace, and Taycan support CCS rather than CHAdeMO. The upcoming Mach E as well as the Volkswagen ID.3 vehicles will use CCS, as is the Chevy Volt and their upcoming flood of electric models over the next few years.

I fear the writing is on the wall for CHAdeMO. In Europe, the CCS adapter for the S and X sells for $190. With virtually everything going forward using that standard, I expect this adapter to be available at some point. I don't want to spend $450 on something that will be obsolete within a year. Just my thoughts, though, I don't imagine CHAdeMO will be disappearing altogether.
CCS is also significantly better in almost every way. 150kW at most stations here, versus max 50kW for CHAD. Some CCS stations even hit 350kW, but I don't think many, if any, current cars can draw that. It'll probably take a while to phase out CHAD, but hopefully it goes sooner rather than later so we can use a standard that makes far more sense. Vehicle to grid is a cool idea, but pretty much useless currently. I'm in the same boat, canceled the plan to buy the CHAD adapter and I sit and pray Tesla with gift us with a North American CCS adapter soon. Good luck buying that before its sells out!

Reactions: TomB985
bought one friday and its in my grubby hands today... much bigger in person than photos or even video show.
Yep, I borrowed one for a trip last month, and it’s not small.

BF83FE6F-0A5A-4E42-BA7C-0B570AE49E47.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
The chademo adapter is big and hard to use. I say hard to use because the fittings are very tight, and it tends to stick when trying to pull off after charging. I would like a CCS adapter because as mentioned some of the CCS chargers are faster. The ones on the OK turnpike are 50KW just like the chademo. But, the CCS connector is a lot smaller than the chademo, so I would hope the adapter if Tesla ever releases one would be smaller too.

The chademo adapter is big and hard to use.
Yes, sure it is. CCS and CHAdeMO are both giant ungainly Frankenplugs.
But, the CCS connector is a lot smaller than the chademo, so
You state this as if it's a fact, but it's quite obviously false. The CCS connector is a bit bigger than CHAdeMO. It's really clear in any side by side picture. Check it out.
https://longtailpipe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/dc-quic-chargers-620b_02.jpg

You state this as if it's a fact, but it's quite obviously false. The CCS connector is a bit bigger than CHAdeMO. It's really clear in any side by side picture. Check it out.
https://longtailpipe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/dc-quic-chargers-620b_02.jpg

What's fact is how you misunderstood what he was talking about. The Tesla CCS adapter is MUCH smaller. ;)

Tesla-CCS-adapter.jpg

Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles - Electrek

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Yes, sure it is. CCS and CHAdeMO are both giant ungainly Frankenplugs.

As Tom said you clearly missed what he meant. He is talking about the Tesla adapters. But also CHAD is undoubtably bigger. In surface area and also from the required port size in most modern non Tesla EV's. Sure CCS is taller, but the top port is just the level 2 J1172 port and for CCS it only serves for communication. Where as on a car with CHAD you must have a separate port for DC charging and AC charging. The first gen Leaf has a massive charge port door in the front to accommodate this whacky design.

What's fact is how you misunderstood what he was talking about. The Tesla CCS adapter is MUCH smaller.
If someone wants to talk about Tesla adapters then they should say "adapter", rather than referring to the connectors.
As Tom said you clearly missed what he meant. He is talking about the Tesla adapters.
And as I am pointing out, he clearly did not say what he meant. All of this expected mind reading is fascinating.

And seriously, just this thread, will ya, if you want to talk about how you want a North American CCS adapter?
CCS Adapter for North America

And here's the thing, which has been covered extensively in that other thread. The adapter for CCS on the European cars was able to be small like that because Tesla was already using the top half of the CCS connector for the charge port on their European cars, so adding the two DC pins was a much smaller deal. That's not the case with the U.S. cars that use the proprietary Tesla plug for the cars' charge port.

Last edited:
  • Informative
If someone wants to talk about Tesla adapters then they should say "adapter", rather than referring to the connectors.

And as I am pointing out, he clearly did not say what he meant. All of this expected mind reading is fascinating.

And seriously, just this thread, will ya, if you want to talk about how you want a North American CCS adapter?
CCS Adapter for North America

And here's the thing, which has been covered extensively in that other thread. The adapter for CCS on the European cars was able to be small like that because Tesla was already using the top half of the CCS connector for the charge port on their European cars, so adding the two DC pins was a much smaller deal. That's not the case with the U.S. cars that use the proprietary Tesla plug for the cars' charge port.
Either there happened to be two mind readers on the same small thread, or perhaps someone is being overly pedantic? One seems more likely to me ;)

In case it really wasn't obvious, the giveaway here is who in their right mind really cares about the size of the charging cable attached to the station? Not like you have to pack that in your car and carry it around with you everywhere. The J117 adapter: small and easy to carry around, almost fits in a pocket. I imagine the CCS adapter would be similar. The CHAD adapter however is the size of a small rifle, and very clunky to use. Hence why someone wouldn't want to carry one around all the time.

Thanks for the link to the master thread on CCS adapters!

Not to take away from the riveting argument above, I used my Chademo adapter for the first time yesterday and only saw 38kW from a 50kW station. I was at about 60% SoC. Is this normal for that level of SoC, or was the station/adapter wonky?
From the one time I used a CHAD charger that sounds about right. Keep in mind like any DC fast charging it tapers, and 60% is quite a high SoC. I am just a lowly SR+ owner, so my charge rate is slower since I only have 66% as many cells in my pack as your AWD. The theoretical peak for CHAD is 50kW with the adapter, and I saw a max of 46kw at about 30%, so 38kW at 60% sounds about right.

Not to take away from the riveting argument above, I used my Chademo adapter for the first time yesterday and only saw 38kW from a 50kW station. I was at about 60% SoC. Is this normal for that level of SoC, or was the station/adapter wonky?
CHAdeMO seems to be built with certain amp limitations, and apparently there are two different types. The better ones have a 125A limit, and you can usually see about 45kW with those. But many are the lower-spec ones that only have a 100A limit, so you do see some lower kW charging power with those. But as was mentioned, 60% wouldn't be your best charging speed anyway, so that might be a factor.

Some of the Leaf plus owners that are connecting to Electrify American Chademo handles labeled at 50 kw are seeing 73 -74 kw charge rates. (There are videos out there) It will be interesting to see what a model 3 owner see’s for a charge rate when using the adapter at these Chademo sites. Note. Someone may have already done this and posted results. Don’t know.

Some of the Leaf plus owners that are connecting to Electrify American Chademo handles labeled at 50 kw are seeing 73 -74 kw charge rates. (There are videos out there) It will be interesting to see what a model 3 owner see’s for a charge rate when using the adapter at these Chademo sites. Note. Someone may have already done this and posted results. Don’t know.
Some of the EA chargers are capable of delivering 200A through Chademo, which will give you this kind of charging rate at ~370V on a Leaf Plus. However, the Tesla adapter limits the current to 125A, so it will never go above ~47kW at the voltages Tesla uses.

Many non-EA stations (EVGo etc.) only go up to 100A, which translates to less than 40 kW for a Tesla.

Makes sense, thanks both. That makes it more annoying that the DC chargers around here charge by the minute, not the kWh.
The bane of my existence is being charged by the minute, haha. Here in BC the law states you cannot charge by the kWh so paying for supercharging you get a different bill every time, sometimes drastically. After around 70% it's extremely expensive to charge, but I also have an SR+, so I need every % I can get on those longer trips.

Perhaps, but part of my decision also had to do with the more common standard going forward.

I haven't researched every new EV, but the E-Tron, I-pace, and Taycan support CCS rather than CHAdeMO. The upcoming Mach E as well as the Volkswagen ID.3 vehicles will use CCS, as is the Chevy Volt and their upcoming flood of electric models over the next few years.

I fear the writing is on the wall for CHAdeMO. In Europe, the CCS adapter for the S and X sells for $190. With virtually everything going forward using that standard, I expect this adapter to be available at some point. I don't want to spend $450 on something that will be obsolete within a year. Just my thoughts, though, I don't imagine CHAdeMO will be disappearing altogether.
Nissan spent $600m on Chademo, I don't think it will be disappearing.