Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter overheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
Charged at a Blink DC station today. Started with 9% and the car switched off at 55% with an error saying the CHAdeMO adapter was very hot. It was about 108 outside and the adapter was in the shade.
2015-06-22 22.25.20.jpg

Summer in Arizona is definitely a challenge. It wasn't the Blink CHAdeMO station that overheated, it was the adapter.

Weird message. What if you weren't in the car when this happened?

I'm starting to think Tesla does not have the greatest control over Chademo chargers. If the adapter was getting too hot, why not just lower the rate?

I also had an issue recently where the Chademo charger was charging my car WAY faster than a Supercharger would at that SOC. Again indicating that Tesla may not be able to always correctly regulate Chademo chargers.

Yikes. I've had a CHAdeMO station overtemp during charging, but it really is unnerving to think the adapter could as well. Was it very hot to the touch?

I'm still really happy the CHAdeMO adapter exists, but man oh man, the technology is just sketchy. I cannot even imagine the average person buying an EV and having to deal with these. Tesla's Supercharger strategy was just brilliant and incredibly well executed.

You might want to check with your Tesla Service Center to get a software update fro your CHAdeMO adapter. I had problems with mine; the Service Center replaced it, then did a software update on the adapter, which is done apparently with a desktop interface in the Service Centers.

The more common problem is the CHAdeMo charger itself overheating due to debris in the filters or just dirty filters, that mostly with Nissan design stations. The Tesla adapters, IIRC, tend to have occasional problems when connected to properly functioning first generation Nissan-branded CHAdeMO chargers. I was told, by a person in my Tesla Service Center, that the latest Tesla adapter software update adjusts taper parameters and improves CHAdeMO charger load control. Beyond that i do not know.

That said, since I received the adapter software update on my CHAdeMO adapter I have had zero problems with overheating of either the chargers or the adapter. Of one thing I am sure, having read many reports on these issues: YMMV.

The CHAdeMO adapter manual says the adapter may require an occasional firmware update, and the firmware updates are performed by Tesla Service. If our adapters would benefit from a firmware update now, I'm surprised Tesla hasn't notified us of that rather than waiting for a problem. Most of the time the adapter would be used on a trip out of town where if the adapter fails the alternative to the DC fast charging would be really inconvenient.

I forgot to add some info that gives it a little more context. First of all, the adapter has been working great for me so far. It has enabled a few trips that would have been much more difficult without it. And it always worked great. No issues.

When I got the message and charging stopped it wasn't crazy hot. I could easily hold it and unplug it. It had been charging for almost an hour before it happened. I was fine with the level of charge I had so I didn't even bother restarting it. I did check the power from the app the entire time it was charging. The current was reduced from 110 Amp to around 80 at some times. But I don't know if the charging station got hot and reduced the power or the adapter reduced the power. I wasn't in the car the entire time. Just when I got back and got it I saw the message pop up.

I have talked to Tesla and they said the firmware update will help. Again, at no time was the adapter or cable too hot to touch. Considering it was well over 100 outside the adapter was fine. Maybe it isn't necessarily the adapter itself that caused the trouble. I didn't check the connections in the plug of the charging station for any dirt of other stuff. Anything but an ideal contact increases electrical resistance which causes losses and heat. Next time I will use a little contact spray before I use a CHAdeMO station. I sure love Superchargers, but when those aren't near by, the CHAdeMO adapter is worth every penny.