Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chances of summon/autopilot being as good as the US in AU, ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone got any insight on AU approval for summon or autopilot as good as currently on Model 3s in the US making it here to Australia?
Australian teslas currently have almost all features that US Teslas have except Navigate on Autopilot (including auto-lane change without confirmation).

We already have summon, but it must be done with the phone app, pressing and holding the "Forward" or "Reverse" button and it's location-aware. In the states, summon can be used using the key fob and there's no distance limitation, so you can do it from across the road or wherever.

Yes, I had an S. The summon was next to useless, you had to stand so close. I was hoping for better summon and auto lane change too.
I’m not rushing out to buy full autopilot anytime soon. We cant even get an internet browser for a stationary car in park. Summon was approved on the basis that the driver had to be within 3m. Our authorities need to overcome that issue before they can even contemplate advanced summon

According to the WA authorities, they intend to allow most new AP features whilst the driver is still responsible.
But they are actively considering how to gradually transfer responsibility from the driver to the car ( firmware) as the features prove to be sufficiently safer than humans. We have arranged two AP demo days with them over the last year.
So the question really is how many kms of driving data can prove AP is safer than humans, and who other than Tesla can supply this.

Main Roads WA have an Automated Vehicle Reforms group, who are responsible for recommending changes to driving regulations and are in touch with their equivalent in other States.
This is my report to Tesla WA slack on the latest AP demo : Several Teslas took 30 executives from Main Roads, DOT, WA Police, ICWA, PTA, Dept Premier & Cabinet on a 30 minute drive to demonstrate AP2 today. There were no crashes or infringements and all were amazed at the progress.
The day was organised by the Automated Vehicle reform unit, as a briefing on Tesla's FSD plans, so they they can be ready to assist in deployment in WA. The unit's briefing notes are very supportive of Tesla and it's plans.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies and LDCRS
Main Roads WA have an Automated Vehicle Reforms group, who are responsible for recommending changes to driving regulations and are in touch with their equivalent in other States.
This is my report to Tesla WA slack on the latest AP demo : Several Teslas took 30 executives from Main Roads, DOT, WA Police, ICWA, PTA, Dept Premier & Cabinet on a 30 minute drive to demonstrate AP2 today. There were no crashes or infringements and all were amazed at the progress.
The day was organised by the Automated Vehicle reform unit, as a briefing on Tesla's FSD plans, so they they can be ready to assist in deployment in WA. The unit's briefing notes are very supportive of Tesla and it's plans.
We arent quite as advanced in SA. Any event like that would be considered a major risks so roads would be closed first