Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Australian-delivered Model 3s still use ultrasonic sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

Wondering if anyone knows whether Model 3s in Australia (sourced from the Chinese factory) still make use of the ultrasonic sensors for the parking distance display?

I know these sensors were removed (shortly after the radar unit) from US-made cars, but here in Australia we still have them.

I've heard the cameras aren't great when it comes to accuracy of the distance from your car to other objects when parking. My new Model 3 seems to be reasonably accurate, and I was wondering if it was because the ultrasonic sensors have remained in service.

Thanks to anyone who is in the know and has a definite answer on this one!

Cheers
Mike

It's easy to tell if you have sensors.

As per this picture, there are 12 located in the circles (labeled as 2):
GUID-2C718327-5AB9-42AF-B5DE-86875A9708EE-online-en-US.png

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Here is a picture of them on the bumper:
de9e7337-c032-4304-b672-5e6770731e2e-png.718175

Here's an up close picture:
img_9139-jpg.616021

If your bumper is completely uniform and smooth and does not have the circles with the sensors, then you don't have USS.

• Informative
Reactions: -Dave

img_9139-jpg.616021

If your bumper is completely uniform and smooth and does not have the circles with the sensors, then you don't have USS.
Noting that high quality ultrasonic sensors used by some brands no longer require the exposed circle, its all concealed

I know these sensors were removed (shortly after the radar unit) from US-made cars, but here in Australia we still have them.
Yes all Australian spec cars still come with the parking sensors.

You'll know when that changes because this forum will be full of people complaining they got the "We are taking the next step in Tesla vision" message that other markets get.

And it's not just because our cars are built in Shanghai, because Shanghai stopped including parking sensors for UK and EU cars 6 months ago.

img_9139-jpg.616021

Hey Dave

Thanks for the detailed reply - just realised my question wasn't clear... I do know that my car has the ultrasonic hardware still, but wasn't sure if it had been deactivated in a software update at some stage, as part of the whole Vision programme.

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to reply!
Mike

Yes all Australian spec cars still come with the parking sensors.

You'll know when that changes because this forum will be full of people complaining they got the "We are taking the next step in Tesla vision" message that other markets get.

And it's not just because our cars are built in Shanghai, because Shanghai stopped including parking sensors for UK and EU cars 6 months ago.
I wonder if ours are because of some Aussie compliance regulation?
Feels like good old trusted ultrasonics are likely to be more accurate than cameras for this task... especially at the front of the car where the cameras are mounted high and may not see very low obstacles in front of the car.
But I guess Tesla will do whatever they choose, and it's probably likely that existing ultrasonics will be disabled sooner or later. :-(

I wonder if ours are because of some Aussie compliance regulation?
Feels like good old trusted ultrasonics are likely to be more accurate than cameras for this task... especially at the front of the car where the cameras are mounted high and may not see very low obstacles in front of the car.
But I guess Tesla will do whatever they choose, and it's probably likely that existing ultrasonics will be disabled sooner or later. :-(
Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
Hey Dave

Thanks for the detailed reply - just realised my question wasn't clear... I do know that my car has the ultrasonic hardware still, but wasn't sure if it had been deactivated in a software update at some stage, as part of the whole Vision programme.

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to reply!
Mike
Someone else responded already with the appropriate section in the FAQ. Tesla has no plans on removing USS functionality at the moment, so all cars with USS are still running USS software.

Reactions: dietereater
Sorry for the bump, but I only just found out you guys kept USS long after they were removed for everyone else!

Was it some Australian requirements, or you never knew why? Is it still the case today, or did they remove them eventually?

Are you expecting them to still be present on Model 3 Highland, or now they'll be gone?

Cheers!

I only just found out you guys kept USS long after they were removed for everyone else!
Also Hong Kong and New Zealand

Was it some Australian requirements, or you never knew why? Is it still the case today, or did they remove them eventually?
There's speculation that it is (or will be) required under Australian regulations, but I haven't found anything definitive to back that up.

All Australian delivered cars still come with USS, and there's no signs of that changing yet.

Are you expecting them to still be present on Model 3 Highland,

I don't see why the Highland refresh would make any difference. There's got to be a reason they haven't removed them for our markets yet.
I guess we will see in a few months when the first Highland VINs start getting assigned.

The Highland renders on the Aus website don't show USS, which is why I think people are suggesting it *is* being removed. They also showed a front camera, but then a couple of days after the launch I think news sites said the camera had been removed from the renders., which raises more questions...