Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of makes it sound like it's a temporary workaround to keep the lines going... So, is there a chance they will find another supplier and fix this? In which case the people who got workaround cars should get some kind of monetary apology. Otherwise, it's not nice to pocket the difference and make future owners pay the same $5K.

I'm not going to be interested in an apology, I want the materials that we've been made to expect *and continue to be shown on their site*. Getting in the car for 3-5 years and having some GMC reject interior materials staring me in the face after all this hype isn't worth a few dollars discount

Last edited:
I'm not going to be interested in an apology, I want the materials that we've been made to expect. Getting in the car for 3-5 years and having some GMC reject interior materials staring me in the face after all this hype isn't worth a few dollars discount
In your case, you'll push for the change and not take the delivery(guessing), but obviously many people took delivery w/o realizing the difference or not caring about it. If those people find out later and the switch back to alcantara happens as well, I would think they'd want some sort of rectification just to not feel that they were screwed heartlessly.

Last edited:
Totally disappointed
Totally unacceptable
Seen photos and reviews ALL of which have me expecting Alcantara

Seems like a foolish Way to save a buck.

I'm tweeting Elon now and I recommend everyone do the same.
Here's my tweet :

@elonmusk Totally disappointed with Tesla's decision to switch the Model 3's interior material from ultra suede to average cloth. Feels a bit bait and switchy....Please go back to premium material ASAP! #Tesla #TeslaModel3

Last edited:
What if, in light of this supplier issue, they decided to stop delivering all Model 3's until they got it all resolved? Could you imagine?
They could HOLD the PUP orders and start the Standard Range deliveries. I don’t care what it’s called. Ultrasuede would be fine (nearly the same thing) but it DOES matter. (To simplify production, giving the option to get everything else in the PUP except the premium parts they can’t/won’t do would slow production by complicating it)

1) To begin with, show me a single photo of a 3 interior without the alcantara-like headliner and inserts in the door. On Tesla's website, in the RC photos, and in the production 3s delivered to date.

Don’t forget the Tesla Press Kit for the Model 3. Still available on the Tesla website it only shows Model 3s with the Alcantara headliner. Press Kit | Tesla

Indeed, this is a bait and switch by Tesla most likely due to constrained supplies of the Alcantara headliner and the desire to manufacture and deliver as many Model 3s as possible in Q4.

My 22xx VIN came with alcantara, suede like gray cloth. The roof is mostly glass, it's just the pillars, central cross beam, and the front beam across the windshield that has the map lights and sun visors.

View attachment 272370 View attachment 272371 View attachment 272372
Suede (and the synthetics like Ultrasuede and Alcantara) looks and feels premium. The other does not which is fact (sorry). As others have said, it’s false advertising. And yes, I did notice it when they revealed the interior and have since.

This is disappointing to me too. We pick up 28xx next weekend. I'm not going to ask in advance though; it either is or it isn't. Will leave accepting it (or not) to my wife. (It'll be her daily driver...)
I don’t think I could handle the heartbreak. I, like tons of us, have been drooling over and aching to own this car for years. I’d ask in advance knowing I would tell them to make it as advertised if it was wrong.

Going by this, the demand from Tesla wasn’t high enough. I’d expect changes on S and X to Ultrasuede once contracts expire.

OT, but it was actually called Ecsaine when Toray developed the material.
They were used on various cars in Japan but it wasn't selling well. They created a Alcantara corporation in Italy with Mitsui and decided to import from Italy. Now it became popular as Italian manufacturers like Lamborghini chose Alcantara.

PUP and battery size are not tied together. Maybe you meant start non-PUP deliveries?
I realize. Point is to keep minimal variations on the production line while still running at maximum possible speed. People wanting SR, IMHO, are more likely to skip PUP though it would have to be held on SR models as well. Of course, if they had enough LR non-PUP orders, they could toss them in too

@elonmusk Totally disappointed with Tesla's decision to switch the Model 3's interior material from ultra suede to average cloth. Feels a bit bait and switchy....Please go back to premium material ASAP! #Tesla #TeslaModel3
While your at it, how about tweeting him for heated steering wheel, battery heating that works at -20C, turn signal icons that can be seen in peripheral vision (upper corners of UI, invisible when not operating), 2 taps of wiper button to turn wiper on (normal speed), 3 taps of wiper button to turn wiper on (fast speed), wiper dialog box that appears when wiper button tapped is sized to cover 90% of UI screen for 3 seconds with huge buttons so that selection of desired wiper delay setting can be done with peripheral vision only......

If you're QC'ing hundreds of cars, and the line isn't supposed to be outputting anything but one headliner right now, would you even check if the headliner in the car is the correct one?

They're close enough that unless you were looking for it, it would be easy to miss.

If you're planning to build 5k a week and you can't even be bothered to check the headliners when production is below 1k a week, then there is a good chance that eventually there will be cars w/o door handles delivered. Every car has those, so why even check them?

Does everyone realize that Alcantara is cloth!! It's just a trademark for an over-hyped synthetic cloth?

Alcantara is very good cloth, though, in pretty much everything but long-term scrubbing wear and tear (which is not a problem on a headliner). It is extremely durable from a cleaning perspective (water cleanable, everything including ballpoint pen can be erased away), good as new years or even decades into use. Pretty much only thing that gets to it not looking like new is if it is subject to extreme rubbing over a prolonged period of time (tight car seats come to mind - couches are fine, though). And of course the microfiber texture is very pleasant IMO.

IMO it is not overhyped.

General comment to the thread:

As for Tesla discontinuing it on Model 3, there is precedent of Tesla doing stuff like this. The Alcantara dash on Model S/X has been coming and going etc. Tesla makes constant production changes on a whim to manage and optimize whatever they want to manage and optimize. Sometimes it can suck for the customer, other times it can benefit the customer.

I agree Tesla should at minimum of course deliver a car as ordered...

Reactions: Super Gizmo and R.S
Differences exist everywhere. Preferences are subjective. I just saw a pair of pre-torn/faded jeans at Nordstrom (of all places) on sale for $250 and laughed, shaking my head. Alcantara has become a marketing legend with little substance and also with some particular set of maintenance requirements. I'd be glad not to have it, but that's just one vote.

I think in this case the thing that matters, though, is that Tesla is selling the difference: premium upgrades or no premium upgrades. If some feature from premium upgrades is removed and it is the same as no premium upgrades, then that is a relative worsening of the upgraded product (i.e. this area is no different than the non-upgraded product).

Tesla of course has done similar trickery with the premium upgrades on Model S/X, removing and adding features without always changing the price. Removal of ventilated seats on Model S/X was one of the big things that made premium upgrades worse there. If I recall, they didn't even change the price at first...

Status
Not open for further replies.