Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't know what Alcantara is. I had a 2013 S that did not have it AFAIK. Perhaps my 3 has it. Haven't looked.
More seriously, when I logged into MyTelsa to check my options after reading this post I noticed I can not only not find Alcantara, my car no longer has paint nor wheels!
Now that's a downgrade.

View attachment 272410

Tesla never promised your car would have tires, so you have nothing to complain about.

The wheels you specced they've obviously put in the boot.

The constant changes, for the benfit of the customer of course...

Well, all I can say is kind of glad it might be few months before I get my configuration invite. Hopefully by then things will have reached a steady state with the random changes no longer present.

I think those of us with years of experience with buying and owning Teslas would say, it has never been steady - and it has only become worse in recent year or two...

The reactions in here are hilarious.

If it feels better, neither the Model S or X comes with Alcantara headliner standard. It's not even included in the current PUP-package. So one can order a Model X + PUP and will get the black textile headliner. This is FACT. Premium headliner is part of the premium interior upgrade for X/S, and it's no place called Alcantara.

No standard priced BMW, Audi or Porsche comes with Alcantara so the references to Hondas is a bit far fetched.

What exactly is hilarious?

I remember someone reacting the same way about air-conditioned seats...........same price - fewer upgrades. That's hilarious?

Hilarious was maybe the wrong word. I'm not english native :)

What I mean is that I think the reactions in here are a bit OTT. Tesla have never specifically mentioned anything about Alcantara. The ventilated seats is a completely different thing. That was mentioned as part of the PUP back when it was available. It's not end of the world with cloth headliner. It actually looks and feels great and at least in my book a nice cloth headliner is as much premium as suede!

I rather see similarities with the introduction of Vegan seats only when leather got discontinued. People went bananas. Now when new X/S with the new vegan interior reaches customers they actually like it better than leather. More durable and looks great.

Each to their own as always!

If it feels better, neither the Model S or X comes with Alcantara headliner standard. It's not even included in the current PUP-package. So one can order a Model X + PUP and will get the black textile headliner. This is FACT. Premium headliner is part of the premium interior upgrade for X/S, and it's no place called Alcantara.

No standard priced BMW, Audi or Porsche comes with Alcantara so the references to Hondas is a bit far fetched.

Model 3 PUP supposedly includes premium interior upgrade, or at least the description would lead you to believe it.

Model 3 as orderable now is by no means "standard priced", since they're only building LR PUP models right now.

So the fact they had already delivered cars with some form of Alcantara/Ultrasuede and had it in all press photos, configurator, etc, and mention premium materials "throughout", one would not be wrong to expect to receive some kind of premium alcantara/ultraseude type materials in their vehicle.

Sorry but the argument that some version of the S or X has cloth is bogus.
All Model 3 to this point have had Alcantara, all marketing photos show Alcantara, the marketing blurb says upgraded materials.
A reasonable person would expect the same material. Especially when paying for the premium upgrade package.
If this is a temporary holdup then let me know so I can make an informed decision and delay my order.
I’ll be driving this car for the next ten years, I don’t see why I should have to accept substandard materials for a supplier hiccup.

If you're planning to build 5k a week and you can't even be bothered to check the headliners when production is below 1k a week, then there is a good chance that eventually there will be cars w/o door handles delivered. Every car has those, so why even check them?

Its not like these cars didn't have a headliner. It was there, performing its job of hiding the sheet metal, just made of a different material which is similar in color. I don't know for sure if this is an accident that was missed by QC, but I can understand how that could happen.

The mounting evidence seems to be that this was an intentional change. Supplier problem on the alcantara would then be my primary suspect.

My $52,000 BMW i3 that I had came with a woven cloth headliner. Alcantara was not even an option in that car.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and DR61
Sorry but the argument that some version of the S or X has cloth is bogus.
All Model 3 to this point have had Alcantara, all marketing photos show Alcantara, the marketing blurb says upgraded materials.
A reasonable person would expect the same material. Especially when paying for the premium upgrade package.
If this is a temporary holdup then let me know so I can make an informed decision and delay my order.
I’ll be driving this car for the next ten years, I don’t see why I should have to accept substandard materials for a supplier hiccup.
PUP in the S and X does not include Alcantara.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
True, it used to, but now Alcantara is part of the leatherette interior options in Model S/X (unless this has already changed?). Design Studio at least still shows it this way now.
Correct. You can order PUP with either car, but if you order cloth upholstery you get the woven headliner. An oddity in at least one Model X I have been in was that with the woven headliner, you still get Alcantara sunvisors.

My $52,000 BMW i3 that I had came with a woven cloth headliner. Alcantara was not even an option in that car.

Yeah, Alcantara interior roof on the Model 3 size class of cars is not that common. I don't think would have been much hooplah if the marketing up to now would not have set the expectation of premium roof (premium interior throughout mentioned and intial cars and configurator showing it) with the premium pack... and then silently take it away.

It would be so much better for Tesla just to be upfront about stuff like this. Not being upfront seems intentional and not in a good way.

Last edited:
I would assume that it's the same across the board.

Curiously it isn't. This thread has Model 3's with both Alcantara (or Alcantara-like) sunvisors and cloth roof, as well as cloth sunvisors (with Alcantara or like just on the mirror flaps), which suggests perhaps a transition is or was on-going depending on parts availability.

This isn't the clearest of images, but look at the left edge of the image where you can clearly see the cloth roof peeking beside the Alcantara-like visor:

visors-jpg.272384

Another car with cloth visors (with Alcantara-like flaps):

img_7768-jpg.272443

img_7766-jpg.272442

Status
Not open for further replies.