Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what I just found out? I'll answer for you...."No Garlan, I don't know what you just found out".

I have the top of the line 2013 Kia Amanti as well as the top of the line 2016 Kia Sorento. My Amanti has Alcantara and my Sorento has woven fabric.

Well jiminy crickets. How about that?

But is it "Premium" woven fabric?? I think only Tesla has access to that ;)

See that ugly black mark on there? I bet this is a post-cleaned photo and that's about as clean as it gets. I got a similar looking mark on my S's B pillar and it easily cleaned right off. Nobody would be able to tell by looking at it, where it once was. This is, for me, an important feature of the alcantara and a significant reason I want it in the 3 I've already ordered.
How do you know the same thing in that picture would come out of Alcantara?
That is exactly my experience also. The first model X I looked at was a showroom/demo model, it didn’t have PUP and had dirt embedded in the now so called “premium textile". Tesla detainers tried to clean it and wore the material down and still left the dirty stain on the light textile.
How do you know the same wouldn't happen with Alcantara? My guess is the detailers who worked on your car didn't know what they were doing, especially if they abraded the premium textile trying to remove the stain.

From personal experience and what I've read online, most synthetic fabrics respond to stains in similar ways because they're mostly made with polyester/polyurethane. If something will come out of Alcantara after wiping it down with water, it'll likely do the same in premium textile.

If it's not water based and doesn't come out with water, then it's probably an oil, which should come out with ethanol/*chrloroethylene/etc, and if it's an ink, it'll probably come out with Acetone, although regardless of the material/stain/solvent I would definitely test whatever I was using on someplace out of the way first.

VWVortex.com - How to clean beige headliner?

Dry cleaning - Wikipedia

Can we please let this thread die and never speak of it again? Not sure if it's just me but i'm pretty over the whole headliner thing.
I'm only asking this because I don't get it. I really don't.

Why do people keep saying things like this? You don't have to read it. Unwatch the thread and it will be dead to you. You wont have to read it.

I'm really not criticizing....I just don't get it.

Can we please let this thread die and never speak of it again? Not sure if it's just me but i'm pretty over the whole headliner thing.

Why do you keep clicking on the thread if you are so OVER IT? I think there is a remedy for what ails you....

Treatment is only a click AWAY!!!!

No Prescription Required...

Faux Indignation Personified & Noted

images.jpeg

Last edited:
Why do you keep clicking on the thread if you are so OVER IT? I think there is a remedy for what ails you....

Treatment is only a click AWAY!!!!

No Prescription Required...

Faux Indignation Personified

View attachment 273313
I'm trying to follow the picture directions but all I can do is open it up in a new tab. Are you sadistic or something? And to think I thought I could follow simple directions from putting together IKEA furniture.

I'm only asking this because I don't get it. I really don't.

Why do people keep saying things like this? You don't have to read it. Unwatch the thread and it will be dead to you. You wont have to read it.

I'm really not criticizing....I just don't get it.

I think it's because the same thing gets said over and over again adding nothing really new. Maybe it's something in the water.

Is anyone more knowledgeable (and resourceful) than me willing to put together a short, but comprehensive list from cheapest to most expensive of typical headliner/pillar material? I think on the bottom is vinyl or the low nap cloth that GM uses? I'm curious what the spectrum is and how Telsa's assertion that what they've switched to really constitutes "premium" as they are insisting.

Is anyone more knowledgeable (and resourceful) than me willing to put together a short, but comprehensive list from cheapest to most expensive of typical headliner/pillar material? I think on the bottom is vinyl or the low nap cloth that GM uses? I'm curious what the spectrum is and how Telsa's assertion that what they've switched to really constitutes "premium" as they are insisting.

Now that you mention it ......I was looking through Ebay

Cheapest synthetic suede I could find is $20/yard plus $7 shipping.

Faux Shearling / Synthetic Suede Reversible! Fabric by the Yard - Camel/Brown | eBay

Cheapest premium cloth headliner that looks line what Tesla is using cost $4/ft or $12k/yard plus free shipping.

PREMIUM STITCHED CLOTH BLACK HEADLINER WINDLACE FORD FALCON CHRYSLER BY THE FOOT | eBay

The cheapest headliner fabric I could find is $2/fit or $6/yard plus $1 shipping.

POLYMAT S25 1ft X 48" CARPET:AUTO DASH COVER PANELS TRUNKLINER HEADLINER FABRIC | eBay

The first 1500 $35k Model 3s to prove a point?

s-l300.jpg

Because it's silly that people are posting so frequently on this one thread about a darn headliner, i will click ignore and sorry for offending anyone but i just think it's time for us to move on :)

Sadly, I expect controversies similar to the headliner scandal to occur with increasing frequency. Products that inspire passionate responses invite this kind of drama.

I've lurked around Macrumors forums long enough to know that every little thing that Apple does or doesn't do, which provokes some disagreement from the fanbase, ends up causing tremendous angst for many Apple fans. Tesla has become the same way. Don't expect this to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.