TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Change generic EVSE to use a Tesla Plug?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by evma582, Mar 17, 2019.

1. evma582

evma582 Member

I previously had a BMW i3 and got a JuiceBox EVSE for home charging. I've been using the same charger for my S with the J1772 adapter, but would like to use just a plug. We have two cars in the garage and the adapter + J1772 creates a tight space for the other car to pass when my car is charging.

Is it possible to swap out the original cable with a Tesla cable? I like to keep the UMC in the trunk and don't want to purchase a HPWC since the JuiceBox still works fine.

2. whitex

whitex Active Member

It would likely be a custom job, someone would have to figure out how to do the wiring safely, buy the parts (probably from and old HPWC or mobile connector), and make it all work. My guess it would cost more than just installing an HPWC.

• Like x 1
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I'd suggest switching the JuiceBox out for a NEMA 14-50 plug and get an additional UMC. If you then add a NEMA 14-50 plug to the JuiceBox, you can charge anything.

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Yeah, this seems like a goofy way to save a couple hundred bucks. Sell the Juicebox and buy a HPWC

5. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

I dont think swapping cables can ever work. Im sure tesla charger and car do a handshake before turning on. Like others said you can just make an nema 14-50 plug and use any charger you want.

6. whitex

whitex Active Member

It can be done, just not worth the money and effort (one way is hard-wire the J1772 adapter to the juice-box and make an "extension" for just the Tesla part. Of course you'd need to make sure you do it safely too, not to compromise any safety mechanisms put in place by Tesla. So technically possible, but not worth the effort when a new HPWC costs $500 or Mobile Connector is $300.

7. pinball_player

Just use the J-1772 adapter, or get a HPWC.