Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change of heart - can I upgrade Sr+ to lr with no delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered an Sr+ 10 days ago, but had a change of heart and wish I'd ordered the lr.

Tesla dealer told me changing the order is possible and would cause no delay, but I don't know if I can trust them...

I'm really worried that changing my order will result with delay to the order, resulting in picking up the car at 2020 and losing federal tax credits.

Any thoughts on the matter in hand?
(I live in TX)

It's not only time, but also price- another 2b Grand (due to losing the credit) would perhaps offset my decision..

Looking to see if anyone changed order and experienced delay because of that

What happened previously is not going to help you now....but if you dont have a VIN you likely will get your car this year... IF you make no other changes, AND take the first delivery appointment they offer you regardless of whenever it is etc. You wont have much options to move anything.

Ordered an Sr+ 10 days ago, but had a change of heart and wish I'd ordered the lr.

Tesla dealer told me changing the order is possible and would cause no delay, but I don't know if I can trust them...

I'm really worried that changing my order will result with delay to the order, resulting in picking up the car at 2020 and losing federal tax credits.

(I live in TX)

There still time for you to change but do it right away

I ordered on 11/1, and a week later I saw the red in person and I was blown away. So I asked my SA if it would be OK to change my white/white to red/black. He told me, and he checked with his manager, that it should be fine but "no guarantees." That color scheme has not come up on my order/account page either. So I suspect we really don't know for sure how modifications affect timing.

(I live in TX)

I was in the exact same situation as you last week.
The people at Tesla told me that it could delay my order a little bit, but that I should still get it by the end of the year.
But I knew that I just couldn't get an SR+ since I had my heart set on the LR and I decided to go for it. And I believe that I won't regret it. More range, more power, premium interior, I just couldn't settle for the SR+.
Up to you, it might be a slight risk of getting pushed to the back of the queue, but personally I would rather get the car I really want ;)

(I live in TX)
It could make it slower, it could also make it faster. It's just whatever unallocated inventory appears first.

Reactions: jjrandorin
You can change your order at any time, but every time you do so, puts in a new order at the back of the line. When there was a 2 week shipping estimate, I changed my order a bunch of times, ended up taking me 3 weeks to get my car as a result.

i think you would still get your car in 2019 ..

if you are truly worried about not getting a car if you change your order then i would just make a 2nd order.. and not cancel my first order.. (its just $100 to make the order) ..

then after taking delivery on whchever order arrives first, i would cancel the other.

Reactions: tren01t
i think you would still get your car in 2019 ..

if you are truly worried about not getting a car if you change your order then i would just make a 2nd order.. and not cancel my first order.. (its just $100 to make the order) ..

then after taking delivery on whchever order arrives first, i would cancel the other.

If everyone followed this advice, half the people ordering wouldn't be able to get a car because of all the duplicate orders by the other half. Then tesla would have to scramble to match buyers with the cancelled orders, assuming customers didn't cancel and buy a different car due to the backlog pushing estimates out past Dec.

Reactions: tren01t
Change it hands down you won’t regret the extra range, dual motors, and additional performance and features

If you have a sales shop near by they should be able to look at all existing inventory that matches your wants and pair you to a new vehicle right then and there, even if it’s coming from Sacramento to you. That’s why your paying 2500 or whatever ridiculous fee it is for delivery. You can also search all the inventory on Tesla.com. If it’s on there it’s not paired up or sold yet. Tesla is going to pair you with the soonest available car available that matches your build either way be inventory or from production

I did the same thing got paired that day and 3 days later it was there. They did have it repair me again for paint issues which took another week after going for delivery and looking at it in person. That said they ubered me to the delivery center no cost and gave me a loaner in the mean time

If everyone followed this advice, half the people ordering wouldn't be able to get a car because of all the duplicate orders by the other half. Then tesla would have to scramble to match buyers with the cancelled orders, assuming customers didn't cancel and buy a different car due to the backlog pushing estimates out past Dec.

who cares about other people .. we're just tryng to optimize this case. -- also if tesla was bothered by someone doing this -- they would not have made it so cheap to make an order ($100)

Reactions: giantshark18
I’m trying to decide on this same thing. I ordered on 10/27. This is the exact message my SA told me. Still not sure what I’m gonna do.

The delivery time may be effected slightly but it’s still very likely that you’ll take delivery this year if you wanted to make the change.

From every SA that I've encountered, the information is that -any- changes made to your order prior to VIN assignment won't affect delivery timing. The only thing that could happen is your current trim was/is scheduled to be manufactured before your "desired" trim. Then again, the opposite could be true and you get your car sooner than before.

*take with a grain of salt* The same SA told me that if you change after VIN assignment, you do NOT go to the "back of the line". However, if all current production of your new trip has been allocated, you'll have to wait for a cancellation or new batches hit your region.