Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing colour weeks before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post so Hi all! The forums been a wealth of information so far, can’t wait to get in my Model 3 next month....

And there lies the (potential) problem.

I ordered my model 3 performance around 5 weeks ago in white, and a week after the order was placed I changed the colour to midnight silver as white model 3s seemed to be breeding in my local area.

Fast forward 5 weeks and I’m panicking if I’ve done the right thing as to be honest, when ever I see a midnight silver model 3 it always leaves me cold. No offence to you MS owners out there.

The question is (and I know only Tesla can really answer this) has anyone changed the colour of their model 3 recklessly near delivery date?

I have a collection date of the 25th November and I’m not willing to let that slip too much. It’s just a real shame that all the Tesla colours are just so uninspiring under the dull British clouds.

Tell me I’m being soft, crazy or that I stand a chance. 😂

If you change the colour then you go to the back of the queue for that combination of model/colour/interior/wheels/options so you would be unlikely to get the vehicle before Feb 22.

You could watch the inventory listing on Telsa's website in case an existing order gets cancelled and is put up for sale - but the chances of the spec you want, and seeing it in time before it is sold is slim.

Reactions: skateboarder
I have a collection date of the 25th November and I’m not willing to let that slip too much.
It may work in your favour, or may not. I wouldn't say it will put you at the back of the queue, you will just join a different queue which may be longer or shorter. When we tweaked our order, admittedly early on in the process and as a reservation holder, we were slotted back in according to order date but we did lose out as what we added was a queue that ultimately suffered delays. Probably bumped us back a month but that would have been no different had we ordered that spec from the outset.

What you will need to watch out for if there was any price change between when you ordered and date you change. The whole order will be repriced at the new book value.

Last edited:
Midnight silver is the best colour

1635628710125.jpeg

Reactions: candida
If any midnight silver lot want to keep me in team MS then feel free to post some pics ;)

After seeing a few MSM out in the wild prior to collecting mine, I was feeling the same. It's quite a dull colour when dirty and in low light, especially this time of year. Having said that, it also hides the dirt pretty well.

Picture was taken today. On the left is the result of 1500+ miles of driving from central Scotland to the Highlands, down to West Sussex, up to Derbyshire and then back to central Scotland. Had all weather conditions and roads were a mix of A, B and Motorway. Dull (grey) but doesn't look extremely dirty until you get close.

On the right is after a good wash. The colour in my opinion is stunning, assuming you're one for keeping your cars clean.

2021-10-31 00_55_39-Photo - Google Photos.png

Reactions: Liquidv
Thanks for the pics. It only highlights why I’m loosing the little mind I have left. The picture on the left almost looks like a different colour.

This isn’t just a MS colour issue for me. Both Blue and Red both look really dull under our British lighting conditions.

I think I’m back on the side of the MS fence as I am a serial car cleaner. Got a ceramic coating and PPF being applied when the cars collected so that should help.

Only a personal point of view of course, but I'd say my blue car looks fantastic most of the time, and in any weather.

My wife's white car (not aTesla) looks great when I've just cleaned it, but one trip to the shops and it looks like it needs washing again instantly. It is our first, and last, white car because of this!

I'd definitely stay with silver if I was you.

Just an opinion though...

Reactions: Tonyf
It only highlights why I’m loosing the little mind I have left.

You think you've got problems, I went a short trip in my Jeep this weekend and the combination of seeing Tesla's everywhere, combined with the Superchargers at the services I visited along my journey full and queued constantly, not to mention kind of enjoying my own car a bit more than I really should, is making me doubt my order.

On your original question, I placed my order in Aug and still have no sign of delivery date and I wonder if one of the reasons may well have been the fact that I didn't complete the finance and trade in sections of the original tasks (hadn't decided). So even though I had my RN the same day I placed my order, I'm thinking that you only really join the queue once this is done and if that were to be the case, I'm guessing a change may well put you to the back of the queue unless there are cancellations or rejections that match your order perhaps.

Reactions: Llama.
Superchargers at the services I visited along my journey full and queued constantly
I usually charge at home, so don't visit Superchargers often enough to comment really, but would this be the 'half-term effect' in play?

Unless you are going to be hitting the Superchargers frequently, that shouldn't really be an issue. I'd say that you'll enjoy the Tesla massively - I'm 18 months into ownership and I still look for excuses to go for a drive :D .

Right, time to go to the shops :p!

Reactions: Llama.
The variation in pics shows how much the appearance of MSM varies in different light. On a dull day it's a mid grey metallic but with a glint of light it can really light up. Always has a touch of sophistication IMHO (but I would say that wouldn't I !!)

Cheers All, I’m going to give it a think and possibly give Tesla a call on Monday. But the thought of not getting the car on the 25th is too much!

If any midnight silver lot want to keep me in team MS then feel free to post some pics ;)

You could hedge your bets and keep the current order and also set up a notification for inventory stock that matches your chosen spec/colour and be prepared to act quickly.

Not sure if this specific one still works, but it was pretty quick back when I used it the first time around a couple of years ago.

(I think I’ve seen people on here getting the £100 order fee back either with a bit of wrangling with Tesla and quoting distance selling regs.)

Edit, here you go:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/refund-of-£100-order-fee.190115/#post-4612147

Last edited:
combined with the Superchargers at the services I visited along my journey full and queued constantly,
I live in Aberdeenshire and have had my Tesla for over 2 years now. I have travelled all over Scotland and head down south pretty frequently even fitting in a trip to Guernsey this year. The ONLY time I have ever queued at a supercharger in all that time was last Sunday lunchtime at Tebay and even this queue had disappeared before I finished charging.

Reactions: spooksman