Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing fluid in the Gear box , part or Model S drive train.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per manual:

Transmission fluid
Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-F and earlier: Mobil SHC 629

Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-J and later: DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

Rear drive unit (small and large): DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
@NOLA_Mike thanks for posting that, which appears to contradict the PDF posted by @captain_zap. Probably I am misinterpreting something.

I note that the 1 year or 12.5K miles "Drive Unit(s) fluid service" change appears to be a one time change.

I believe Tesla has stated that the new vehicle 4 year/50K mile warranty is in effect whether the owner brings their car in for an annual service or not. Which means that "fluid service" can be skipped and the warranty is still in effect, so it isn't critical.

The Model S has a conventional differential that presumably requires 90W gear oil. The service checklist (attached) says 12 years, 150k miles for this item.

upload_2017-3-29_7-48-35.png

Just wanted to vent at the know-nothing that posted "No! it doesn't have a conventional differential, it has a transaxle!"

If you don't have any idea what these items are, and think you are contributing to the community by parroting some sales verbiage, please take a seat.

Moving on...Has anyone performed this fluid chnage personally? As pointed out, they recently added it to the first service interval. I'm suddenly 'due' by the new schedule.

I was told by Tesla service technician that there is no "fill line" marked on the case so don't overfill. Again, does anyone know the amount of fluid to be added after draining? Rumour is 1.4 quarts but I doubt that all transmissions would have the same volume of fluid.

they just want to get the initial metal shavings out of the original oil after break in

This. It's always best to remove the production contamination early, and every time Tesla or anyone else tells you it's a 'lifetime' lubricant, they are expressing a motivation that may conflict with your own, as the vehicle owner. This desire to claim Tesla service requirements were near zero compared to ICE mirrors a change that happened when luxury automakers started to cover maintenance for the first 2-3 years...suddenly the vehicles needed much less fluid change service. ;)

I was told by Tesla service technician that there is no "fill line" marked on the case so don't overfill. Again, does anyone know the amount of fluid to be added after draining? Rumour is 1.4 quarts but I doubt that all transmissions would have the same volume of fluid.
I guess as it won't ALL come out it would be measure and refill the same quantity then figure the % changed then form a judgement as to a repeat procedure "down the road"

Anybody here knows what is "A/C desiccant bag" and how does it look like?
Any other cars than Tesla also use thing like this?

All cars have a "drier" in the AC loop. Tesla does, too, but theirs can be opened and the desiccant bag replaced without replacing the housing. Exact same idea on my 2001 BMW and 2003 MINI. You have to recover/evacuate the refrigerant first, so not something many DIY will do.

I know im resurrecting and older thread but I was thinking of swapping out the Gear box fluid myself. It seems pretty simple. I do own the Tesla service manual for my refresh and I watched this great youtube video

My question is regarding the size. I have a RWD Model 75. Would that be considered LARGE Rear Drive unit?

I assumed the small rear drive unit would be for AWD vehicles.