Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing from type 1 to type 2 charger advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning everyone. I'm a first time poster, currently awaiting delivery of my new model 3 lr. I'm currently a Nissan Leaf owner. This means that at home right now I have a type 1 charger where the charging nozzle is attached to the charging point so I don't have to keep plugging a lead in each time. So, with the arrival of the new Tesla I need a type 1 charger and am looking at my options. Should I:
1)Find a small adapter that clicks on to the end of my current type 1 nozzle? Does one of these even exist (type 1 female to type 2 male?)?
2)Replace my current charger with a type 2 plug in charger which will apparently charge both the Tesla and the leaf and just keep changing the wires each time for each respective car?
3)Put an additional type 2 charger next to my current type 1 and have a fixed lead with it just for the Tesla?

I've been told it will cost the same to replace my current charger as to put an additional completely new one in which seems a little strange as all the wiring etc is already there.

What do you all think? Based on the M4 corridor in the UK btw, so if you have any suggestions for companies to do any required work that would be useful.

Just thought of another question. If I go for another charger is it worth getting the Tesla one or just a generic?
Thank you so much

I've been told it will cost the same to replace my current charger as to put an additional completely new one in which seems a little strange as all the wiring etc is already there.

Well that answers you question doesn't it? You sound like you have a one-car garage the way you don't see any advantage to having a second charger. I suppose you might have issues with charging them both as UK homes don't have very much power.

Don't know about the F-M adapters. You'd have to look around. I know the U.S. J1772 -> Tesla adapter is F -> M, but in U.K. they are using sockets and wires. In the U.S. we only have the integrated cable type. So maybe they don't make them.

Last edited: