Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing radio stations W/ steering wheel buttons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Santa Fe TX.
I listen to the FM radio at times when I'm on a road trip and at times when I'm around town. I use to have the option to hit the top left steering wheel button to advance to the next radio station. For some reason, It now moves to different music sources. I've lost the capability of advancing to the next station. I've attempted to long press but still will not advance to next station. It still wants to change just the favorites. Any thoughts? Now while I'm writing this, I may try to push the bottom button and see if that allows the buttons to change stations and not the favorites. Anyone else experience this issue?

I listen to the FM radio at times when I'm on a road trip and at times when I'm around town. I use to have the option to hit the top left steering wheel button to advance to the next radio station. For some reason, It now moves to different music sources. I've lost the capability of advancing to the next station. I've attempted to long press but still will not advance to next station. It still wants to change just the favorites. Any thoughts? Now while I'm writing this, I may try to push the bottom button and see if that allows the buttons to change stations and not the favorites. Anyone else experience this issue?
That’s a problem I experienced since V9.
I long hoped for Tesla to fix this simple bug but nope.
I never understood that they list all FM and TuneIn favorites in one list, but don’t let you skip between the FM station’s properly.

Last year I gave up hope and now just use TuneIn.

Like you, I will use FM on road trips when I lose data due to poor network coverage. Which basically in EU is everywhere in the larger countries (Germany, France...).

Edit: I wonder if it is due to MCU1 and it’s analog FM tuner and if MCU2, with its digital tuner, also has this issue.

Update. Ok. the other week, I picked up a Model Y. OH Yes, I love scanning the FM broadcast. Hit the fwd button and to the next station it goes. Saved some favorites. I like to hear some AM news but as you know, there are no AM reception on the Y. So I found some HD FM stations that were a rebroadcast of AM. So, saved a few stations and guess what. The fwd button now cycles through all favorites. I'm like What the Hell?? So, It's not like I want to test removing the favorites and see if I have my next station feature for that defeats the purpose of finding stations and saving them. So, I think it has something to do with Staring the FM stations.

Update. Ok. the other week, I picked up a Model Y. OH Yes, I love scanning the FM broadcast. Hit the fwd button and to the next station it goes. Saved some favorites. I like to hear some AM news but as you know, there are no AM reception on the Y. So I found some HD FM stations that were a rebroadcast of AM. So, saved a few stations and guess what. The fwd button now cycles through all favorites. I'm like What the Hell?? So, It's not like I want to test removing the favorites and see if I have my next station feature for that defeats the purpose of finding stations and saving them. So, I think it has something to do with Staring the FM stations.
Interesting and hopeful. Let us know how long it works... in the past I had the same hopes now and then but after some usage, it would return to an odd behaviour.

Mine cycles through the radio station favorites that I have set and when it gets to the end it goes to the next thing in the favorite list which is one of the streaming options. Once it's in the streaming portion it will not go back to the radio with the back press, I have to manually re-select one of the radio stations on the screen.

As long as it's on a radio favorite, I can move around back and forth through those using the steering wheel button. I am more careful now about going past the "last favorite station", but when I do I know I can get back to it through the screen interface easy enough.

Mine cycles through the radio station favorites that I have set and when it gets to the end it goes to the next thing in the favorite list which is one of the streaming options. Once it's in the streaming portion it will not go back to the radio with the back press, I have to manually re-select one of the radio stations on the screen.

As long as it's on a radio favorite, I can move around back and forth through those using the steering wheel button. I am more careful now about going past the "last favorite station", but when I do I know I can get back to it through the screen interface easy enough.
That's exactly what I'm experiencing, but it only started last week, it used to cycle only on the favorite radio stations.
I wonder if there's a way to contact Tesla about this and if they'll solve it.

We started experiencing this just recently after upgrading to 2022.16.1.1 on our 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. It seems like double pressing and then holding the left button on the steering wheel seems to change radio stations like before. Greatly prefer the single press l/r function from before.

2018 Model S. Never had an issue until 2 weeks ago and after the update...same issue. Will be listening to an FM station and have the FM presets on the screen (mid station on the list) and hitting the channel up or down button moves it to streaming.

Ridiculously frustrating.

Same problem here. Left scroll wheel (left and right functions) no longer work while listening to radio. If used, Spotify is immediately selected.

How does this kind of stuff happen?

The right scroll wheel still doesn't do anything and I am not able to answer a phone call pressing the microphone button on the yoke.

Same issue after updating to 2022.16.2 yesterday (2021 MYP). When trying to switch FM station favorites using left scroll wheel, it automatically goes to the Tesla streaming app where I also have favorite genres. I am able to change songs in the streaming app using the left scroll wheel but no go for FM stations. Never had this issue before with other software versions. C’mon Tesla!