Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing SIM / Modem / MCU on US Spec Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I know this has been asked previously but couldn't find an answer: Any chance you are aware of a way to replace the SIM / Modem / MCU of US spec Model S to be able to get connectivity to the car in UAE and also get navigation to start working.

Am also open to 3rd party garages that might be able to help with this.

Much appreciate any help / guidance.

Thanks

It’s my understanding that the SIM is located inside the Media Control Unit (MCU) and requires the removal of the MCU to replace it, particularly in early MCU1 cars. MCU2 cars may be different.
On top of this I understand that Tesla only loads maps for the country or region of delivery so it’s unlikely that there will be UAE maps in your USA car. It should bring back streaming media and remote access functions.

I'm having a tussle with Tesla UK on this issue as I have brought my model S from HK to the UK when re-locating They are coming out with weak excuse of "modern frequencies" (presumably thinking that the HK mobile networks operate on a different frequency to the UK ones which is incorrect). One of the technicians tried a new SIM card in my MCU and could not get it to work - possibly due to the maps available in the car or some server setting at their end. I'm now trying to find someone in Tesla to have a meaningful discussion with about this block as I think it's more about company policy than technical restrictions.

I'm having a tussle with Tesla UK on this issue as I have brought my model S from HK to the UK when re-locating They are coming out with weak excuse of "modern frequencies" (presumably thinking that the HK mobile networks operate on a different frequency to the UK ones which is incorrect). One of the technicians tried a new SIM card in my MCU and could not get it to work - possibly due to the maps available in the car or some server setting at their end. I'm now trying to find someone in Tesla to have a meaningful discussion with about this block as I think it's more about company policy than technical restrictions.
As I know, you have to change the Apn setting after replaced a UK sim into a HK model S.

btw , I am planning to ship my 90D to UK in June, just wondering if the staff of Tesla UK regions my car originally from hk ? what if I just book a MCU replacement/upgrade service without mentioning my car is from hk ? may be they will just replace the MCU without checking, that is what I am thinking.