Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cable locked. Could not remove. Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if this has happed to anyone. It was about -5 C. My model 3 has completed its charge cycle. I am ready to leave. My car is unlocked. I press the button on the charge cable, I can hear the cable lock mechanism click trying to unlock but it does not and I was unable to remove the cable. I tried to unlock using the phone up, the clicking sound continued. There were messages on screen saying it may be frozen or there is a malfunction. I took a hair dryer to the charge port for about 5 minutes and then it finally unlocked. Has this happened to folks. What to do if this happens again and I do not have a hair dryer close by. Is this a problem that I should report or bad design? Im 3 weeks into owning my Model 3 and appreciate any advise that comes my way.

Yes it happens to a lot of us. I carry a hair blower with me. And i just asked for the charge port to be changed. A new model does exist although some employees answering the phone don't know.
I was just talking to the guy who does the mobile service.

I had frozen charge port issues on the road that took hours to resolve. I posted on TMC and in 10 minutes someone came back with a great resolution. He unfroze his port with hand warmers either in the port or around the charge cable as needed. In winter especially on the road I will be carrying “hand warmers’ just ion case.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus