Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cable release in app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Only had my Model 3 for a week. Wondered if I can release charge cable without getting in the car first?
Can this be done on the app?

I use the Tesla mobile charger (the one that comes with the car). If I have my smartphone with me, I can press and hold the button on the charger handle for a few seconds. You'll hear the car wake up and a second later release the charge cable. The color of the Tesla logo, where the charge cable plugs in, changes too.

So, it takes a few seconds, but yes...you can release the charger cable without getting in the car first.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I use the Tesla mobile charger (the one that comes with the car). If I have my smartphone with me, I can press and hold the button on the charger handle for a few seconds. You'll hear the car wake up and a second later release the charge cable. The color of the Tesla logo, where the charge cable plugs in, changes too.

So, it takes a few seconds, but yes...you can release the charger cable without getting in the car first.
The same procedure also works with J1772 plugs and the adapter. However, the car must be unlocked. The only time situation where you might have problem is if the phone as key fails to work, then you'd have to unlock the car with the app or a key card first.

Upvote 0
It was disconcerting that the CCS adapter didn't allow that same functionality. I have to physically open the door before I hit stop on the charge station. I guess since my phone 'key' is not positioned in the same location when I am standing in front of the charger to hit stop as I am when hitting the button on a Tesla or J1772 plug. The button on the CCS plug doesn't work with the Tesla adapter to stop the charge and release the plug. This allows the adapter to lock to the car using the latch on the car and the plug to latch itself to the adapter as CCS has the latch in the wrong place.

They could have done it like they did with the J1772 adapter which uses the same latch, but I guess they were tired of other people unplugging the J1772 plug while the person is still charging, plus the danger of Arc Flash from breaking the high voltage connection would wear down the terminals over time and could present a danger to life and limb

Upvote 0
Hi all. Only had my Model 3 for a week. Wondered if I can release charge cable without getting in the car first?
Can this be done on the app?

Thanks in advance
I have a 2019, and I’m assuming it’s the same as yours. I touch and lightly press the back door handle enough to wake the car, but not open the door. Then when you press on the handle’s “button” it releases. See it that works for you.

Upvote 0