Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Compatibility with a Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I bought my wife a Volt.

I have a Permanent UMC plugged into a 14-30 outlet at one house.

I have a Wall Connector on 40A breaker at another house.

Is there an adapter that can go from the Tesla cord to the Volt?

I might just use 120V for the Volt but didn’t know if there were ways to use the Tesla connectors for the Volt. I don’t fully understand the Volt requirements yet beyond the 120V. Volt did change in 2019 and has different charger in the car (supposedly the same one that’s in the Bolt).

I know I could convert what I have with a 3rd party charger and use an adapter on the Tesla. But that is a bit pricey.

I might T-Off an outlet off the Wall Connector setup.

I don’t want to have to unplug UMC and plug in Volt at the other location. I’d like it as convenient as possible to plug in nightly.

The location with the Wall Connector sometimes is a short stay (1 day) so faster charging would be nice. And the battery will always be depleted on the Volt (120 miles to get too).

Wiring new circuits now is also very difficult. Blown foam and closed up just this past winter at the UMC location. The location with UMC is a short (10 miles) daily commute. With a full night to charge back up. It’s also not a big deal any time it’s short because there is a backup SC under the hood. I’m pretty maxed out on circuit/amps at this location as well. And I already have an A/B switch between UMC outlet and Garage heater outlet.

I’m little concerned on long term battery health using 120V exclusively and slight loss in efficiency.

I bought my wife a Volt.

This is the first problem. WHY would you buy an inferior non-Tesla EV?!?!?!?!?!?

After that, I was at a local shopping center yesterday that had some Tesla HPWC's, and I saw a Nissan Leaf charging from a Tesla HPWC. I looked at how this was possible, and the Nissan owner had a short adapter cable to adapt the Tesla HPWC plug to a J1772, the adapter cable was about 2 feet long or less.

I bought my wife a Volt.

I might just use 120V for the Volt but didn’t know if there were ways to use the Tesla connectors for the Volt. I don’t fully understand the Volt requirements yet beyond the 120V. Volt did change in 2019 and has different charger in the car (supposedly the same one that’s in the Bolt).

I know I could convert what I have with a 3rd party charger and use an adapter on the Tesla. But that is a bit pricey.

I don’t want to have to unplug UMC and plug in Volt at the other location. I’d like it as convenient as possible to plug in nightly.

The location with the Wall Connector sometimes is a short stay (1 day) so faster charging would be nice. And the battery will always be depleted on the Volt (120 miles to get too).

Wiring new circuits now is also very difficult. Blown foam and closed up just this past winter at the UMC location. The location with UMC is a short (10 miles) daily commute. With a full night to charge back up. It’s also not a big deal any time it’s short because there is a backup SC under the hood. I’m pretty maxed out on circuit/amps at this location as well. And I already have an A/B switch between UMC outlet and Garage heater outlet.

I’m little concerned on long term battery health using 120V exclusively and slight loss in efficiency.

Tesla to J1772 Adapter – EVSE Adapters

This is the first problem. WHY would you buy an inferior non-Tesla EV?!?!?!?!?!?

After that, I was at a local shopping center yesterday that had some Tesla HPWC's, and I saw a Nissan Leaf charging from a Tesla HPWC. I looked at how this was possible, and the Nissan owner had a short adapter cable to adapt the Tesla HPWC plug to a J1772, the adapter cable was about 2 feet long or less.

Awesone. I’ll look into what exists for adapters. I thought there might be.

Trading 2017 Jeep Summit and sold a Model 3 Performance for a Model X (due Saturday) and a Volt. I’m crazy, anyone knows that, but not crazy enough to own two Tesla’s. Also my wife didn’t like the Model 3, she’s more excited about the Volt.

Summit was a great Vehicle (for an ICE). I’ve had 5 Grand Cherokees for 25 years. Nothing beyond normal wear and tear. Never used the extended Service plan on 3 of them (damn it) The Summit depreciation is great compared to Tesla’s. Volt is pretty damn nice car and cost ~1/3 of my P3D- and does half a dozen things better than the Model 3. CarPlay, Rear Cross Path, True Radar based Blind Spot, Hatchback ... to name a few. Real shame they didn’t know how to sell it.

ok, any idea how the amps works?

Is that “circuit breaker amps” or actual charge amps? I assume charge amps.

My UMC is on a 30 amp breaker (24A charging). How would the Volt know not to pull more than 24A?

They have a 32A, 40A, 80A. I’d Like to get the 40A but not sure how to use the right amount of amps at each location. I’d don’t like relying on user to set limit in the car (humans tend to screw up).

Thanks

My UMC is on a 30 amp breaker (24A charging). How would the Volt know not to pull more than 24A?

They have a 32A, 40A, 80A. I’d Like to get the 40A but not sure how to use the right amount of amps at each location. I’d don’t like relying on user to set limit in the car (humans tend to screw up).

Thanks

UMC uses J1772 to communicate with the Tesla. Volt knows same code. Only the plug is different.

@mswlogo,

QuickChargePower.com also sells a Tesla to J1772 adapter that would work with your Volt. I think they sell for a bit over $200, IIRC. I have one and it works fine. No idea if it is better than the one from EVSE Adapters or not.

Did you get a 2019 Volt with the 32 A charger option? All other Volts have a 15 A charger, including the base model 2019. If you do, it will charge at 24 A on your UMC. As saghost says above, the UMC uses the J1772 communication protocol to tell the car it’s maximum ampacity. It will work with any EV or PHEV.

GSP

Last edited:
I bought my wife a Volt.

JDapter has been doing this the longest.

https://www.amazon.com/JDapter-Stub-Charge-Station-Adaptor/dp/B07NRT9KBJ/

I have always wondered if their ratings are actual drawn current ratings, or if they are the number you derate from?

Current is limited by the same protocol as Tesla uses. It is the same. There might be a dip switch you have to flip on the wall connector to get it to use the standard protocol instead of a Tesla proprietary one? I am not sure.

If your adapter is not rated high enough you need to manually set the car lower to not melt the adapter (only if the source can supply more than the rating of the adapter if course).

Sounds like you are the perfect use case for this!

I hear the Volt is nice. I am shocked they stopped making it. They sold a crud ton of them. I guess all focus is on the Bolt now!

Thanks
The rating on the adapter is informational, telling you the max charging the wiring and connectors are good for. It's up to you to not use it in a situation that would draw more amps that the adapter is rated for. The adapter itself is transparent and has no effect on the amperage used. Your Volt won't overdraw your 30a circuit because the UMC and wall connector both use the same protocol that J1772 does and the car will therefore know not to exceed 24a.

Reactions: brkaus
The rating on the adapter is informational, telling you the max charging the wiring and connectors are good for. It's up to you to not use it in a situation that would draw more amps that the adapter is rated for. The adapter itself is transparent and has no effect on the amperage used. Your Volt won't overdraw your 30a circuit because the UMC and wall connector both use the same protocol that J1772 does and the car will therefore know not to exceed 24a.

Perfect !!!

So all “passive” adapters will do the same and it’s just a matter of quality and reputation that differentiates them?

That adapter is almost as expensive as a cheap EV charger (connector). In your case I could buy a JuiceBox Pro 40A and use it for both cars.

JuiceBox Pro is $549 on Amazon. If I had it to do over again maybe I'd go that route. But I already have a $500 Wall Connector (installed) and $300 Dedicated UMC. And the adapter solves the "wiring" issues. I don't need to add an (outdoor) Outlet at the Wall Charger at one location and I don't have to switch plugging in the UMC vs Something else in the 14-30 outlet at the other location (the one we commute to work from).

Just pop on the Adapter ($219).

This one looked like the EVSE one but looked a little nicer, easier to order through Amazon, $30 cheaper and I can return it in a blink if I don't like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V7V2QT8

On a nightly basis I still might do 120V at home. Only if she needs a quicker charge at home will I use the adapter on the UMC and whenever we travel to the other house in the Volt we'll use the adapter on the Wall Connector there (which I expect won't be often). We'll usually use the Model X (which is why we got it). The only time we might use the Volt is to use up the stale gas ;)

Perfect !!!

So all “passive” adapters will do the same and it’s just a matter of quality and reputation that differentiates them?
Pretty much. If someone were to do the engineering, I expect it would be possible to make them one piece like Tesla's J1772 adapter, but it seems unlikely that they would ever sell in sufficient quantity for that.

I went in the opposite direction from you. I had J1772 vehicles in the past, and therefore already had two J1772 EVSEs when I bought the SR. So, I simply used my "portable" OpenEVSE as the second plug in my garage and rely on the Tesla J1772 adapter for daily charging my Model 3 at home.

That leaves me without a portable 240v capable EVSE that would work with my Rav4EV, unless I were to dismount the OpenEVSE from the wall, but I don't anticipate needing one in the foreseeable future. The only times I've had to plug into the wall away from home in the past few years, it was 120v anyway, and the EVSE that came with the Rav can do that.

Last edited:
I have that Adapter, Tesla Wall Charger to Chevy Volt, pain in the butt to attach it then you have to wait 30 seconds and it works, the connection from the Tesla side to the Adapter is pretty tight. So I don’t recommend it. Get a J1772 Charger and life will be easy.

Fred

I have that Adapter, Tesla Wall Charger to Chevy Volt, pain in the butt to attach it then you have to wait 30 seconds and it works, the connection from the Tesla side to the Adapter is pretty tight. So I don’t recommend it. Get a J1772 Charger and life will be easy.

Fred

Which specific one do you have?

Lectron, EVSE, Jdapter, other?

Which specific one do you have?

Lectron, EVSE, Jdapter, other?
other: TeslaTap

A2054DD3-6AFE-4F2E-A75E-D12598C53A4D.jpeg

8B5B7681-1F62-44E4-AC1F-F94268DCFF93.jpeg

Reactions: mswlogo