TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Charge done indication" feature request

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Peter_M, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Today I sent the feature request below to Tesla. Some of the reasons for this are covered in another thread, but the key difference here is that you can select the charge level (maybe less than the charge limit) at which to indicate that you're OK if someone unplugs you, and you can decide whether to unlock the charge port at that point.

And after sending this, I thought it might be clearer and more direct to call the setting "Indicate done at x%" rather than "Allow unplugging at x%".

I'll let you know what response I get.

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Good suggestion. I agree, some form of charge complete indication is necessary to facilitate charger sharing.

I charge at work occasionally and need to share with Leafs, Volts, IMEVs, Ford Focus EVs, Smart EVs, and just about any other EV in there I forgot. Each has a different way of indicating charge complete, or none at all. It's maddening. Some common convention would be welcomed.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Of course, increasing the ICE enforcement and having more than one or two charging stalls would reduce the need for all that complexity.

4. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

This doesn't help with ICEing. This is about knowing when someone is done charging so you can either unplug them and charge from a nearby spot (if the cable reaches) or call them (if it doesn't). Yes, more charging spaces would always help, but the intent here is to make the most efficient use of whatever number of charging stations the owner decided to invest in.

As for complexity, it's a pretty simple feature - my message is long because I tried to be thorough about the kind of details Tesla would need to work through if they are going to do it. It's really just two settings - when to turn the charge port green (or never, as it is now), and whether to unlock the charge port at that point. Much less complex than trying to guess if charging is done, trying to track people down by license plate, etc.

5. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I like the idea. Whenever I charge at a J1772 station, I monitor the car with the mobile app to make sure someone doesn't unplug the charger (for those few who know it can be done). But once I've reached my charging limit, it can be a pain to go to the car and unplug it (ie middle of dinner in a restaurant, movie, etc) so that others can use the charger.

As others have mentioned, it would be great to have some light standards for EV's rather than each manufacturer doing their own thing.