Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge door not opening for HPWC button press

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just started within the last week or so ... the charge port door does not open with the button on the wand anymore. This has been the same procedure I have done since I got the car over 7 months ago... drive into my garage, grab HPWC wand get about 6 in from port door and press the button - door opens.

Of late no matter how close/how many times I press, it doesn't open. Just wondering if anyone experienced? this "sudden stop"

I know I have some debugging - get out the UMC and see if that works, drive to a SC and see if that works, etc.

EDIT: I should point out - it works to unlock/remove it from the port, but I assume that is because it's "hard wired" at that point.

This just started within the last week or so ... the charge port door does not open with the button on the wand anymore. This has been the same procedure I have done since I got the car over 7 months ago... drive into my garage, grab HPWC wand get about 6 in from port door and press the button - door opens.

Of late no matter how close/how many times I press, it doesn't open. Just wondering if anyone experienced? this "sudden stop"

I know I have some debugging - get out the UMC and see if that works, drive to a SC and see if that works, etc.

EDIT: I should point out - it works to unlock/remove it from the port, but I assume that is because it's "hard wired" at that point.

Is this part missing from the inside flap of your charge port door?

They commonly fall out (bad glue). Mine just had this issue recently. Caused all sorts of weird behavior.

9813783F-E738-43AF-8508-D03FA276A52D.jpeg

This thing is a magnet I think. It is part of a sensor.

FWIW, my car responds to the button on the UMC that came with it, but it has yet to respond to the button at any Supercharger I've tried. I've done one 1800-mile road trip, so I've used several Superchargers. Maybe I've just hit a statistically improbable number of bad Superchargers (they've all charged fine), but I think it's more likely that my car's receiver for this signal is simply "hard of hearing," as it were, and it detects only very strong signals. It's conceivable that something similar is happening to your car.

Personally, I'm not bothered enough to do anything about this, since the charge port door still opens upon a tap, a signal from my cell phone, or pressing the button on the Tesla's center console. Maybe I'll ask to have it checked out at a routine service visit, but the hassle of getting it fixed is greater than the hassle of opening the port in a way other than pressing the button on the plug.

On 2019.24.4 at least, the car will not open the charge port for the button on the charge cable if the car is asleep. Unlike the charge cable lock release (which has the same issue), I do not know if this has been this way for a while. My sense is that this has been the case for a while though.

Separate but related issue to the charge port lock release issue I suppose. “Solution,” sadly, is the same. Tap a door handle without opening the door until you hear the "retracting whirr" noise.

Last edited:
On 2019.24.4 at least, the car will not open the charge port for the button on the charge cable if the car is asleep. Unlike the charge cable lock release (which has the same issue), I do not know if this has been this way for a while. My sense is that this has been the case for a while though.

Separate but related issue to the charge port lock release issue I suppose. “Solution,” sadly, is the same. Tap a door handle without opening the door until you hear the "retracting whirr" noise.
yep - I am not talking about that. This is within seconds of me exiting the vehicle after driving into my garage. It's not asleep.

I, too, do the tap-rear-door-handle to wake it in the morning so I can extract from charge port.

yep - I am not talking about that. This is within seconds of me exiting the vehicle after driving into my garage. It's not asleep.

I, too, do the tap-rear-door-handle to wake it in the morning so I can extract from charge port.

Sorry...should have read your post more closely. Interesting. Yeah, mine definitely does not behave that way. Sounds like maybe the button on the HPWC is broken (not exactly the button - the actuation of the RF signal from the cable to the charge port by the button seems broken - since as you said the button works for charge cable lock release - I guess maybe that is powerline communication as you say). As you said, you have various debug options you have available to try.