Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit Impacts Charge Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I KNOW this question has been asked before. I thought I knew the answer but I'm starting to question what I thought was "fact".

Does setting your Charge Limit have any impact on the amount of time it takes to charge at a Supercharger? If you set your Charge Limit to 100% will you remain at the maximum charge rate longer before tapering?

For instance, say you wanted to pull away from the Supercharger with 70%. Would it be quicker to set your Charge Limit to 100% and manually stop the charge at 70% or just set the Charge Limit to 70%? Is the point at which tapering begins dictated by the physical size of battery or software limitation imposed by the Charge Limit.

Thanks for clearing things up!

I understand that the Supercharger output cannot increase by changing the Charge Limit, however if you can delay the point at which the charging rate begins to taper, then you should be able to reach your target quicker. Right?

If two Tesla batteries began charging at the same time, and one had a physical limitation of 500 miles and the other had a physical limitation of 100 miles, the battery with the 500 mile capacity would reach 100 miles faster because it could maintain a full charge rate throughout the whole charge. However the 100 mile capacity battery would begin tapering before it became fully charged. Correct?

Similar to the charge rate graph on this recent Electrek post.

https://electrek.co/2019/02/08/tesla-model-3-new-record-charge-rate-125-kw-ccs

If you can delay the point at which the tapering happens, you should reach your target sooner.

Am I still mixing something up?

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If two Tesla batteries began charging at the same time, and one had a physical limitation of 500 miles and the other had a physical limitation of 100 miles, the battery with the 500 mile capacity would reach 100 miles faster because it could maintain a full charge rate throughout the whole charge. However the 100 mile capacity battery would begin tapering before it became fully charged. Correct

Yes, the smaller battery will charge slower to X miles, but changing your charge limit does not change the size of your battery.

If you can delay the point at which the tapering happens, you should reach your target sooner.
But that has nothing to do with where you set your stop limit. That's just a cutoff point. It has nothing to do with the charging behavior until that point. It will always do as fast as it can safely do, right up until it reaches that stop point, whether that is because you have the software set to make it stop at 70% or whether you just pull the cable because it's at 70%. The speed will be the same.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia