Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge or Not charge to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just pickup my 2013 M3P last Saturday and I'm confused about charging. I have seen sources telling to charge to 100% and others to go between 60-80%. What's the correct for the 2013 model?

Attached pages I found online searching

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230308_083840_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308_083840_Edge.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 161
Hello,

I just pickup my 2013 M3P last Saturday and I'm confused about charging. I have seen sources telling to charge to 100% and others to go between 60-80%. What's the correct for the 2013 model?

Attached pages I found online searching
There was no M3P 2013 and Tesla did not use LFP’s back then.

You need to make your question clearer as your question can not be answered correctly.

Reactions: FearL0rd
For non LFP batteries, only charge to 100%, or near 100%, if you need the range and are going to drive right away. Don't let your car sit at a high state of charge.
Likewise, don't run it down to zero, or near zero, unless you're going to plug in right away. Don't let it sit at a low sate of charge.

AFAIK, the only model 3 with LFP is the so-called RWD. You screenshot applies to a car with LFP battery.

For non LFP batteries, only charge to 100%, or near 100%, if you need the range and are going to drive right away. Don't let your car sit at a high state of charge.
This is more of a forum myth than true.
The degradation rate at 100% is not very different from 80-90%.

Only at high temperatures, like more than 30-35C / 90F, the calendar aging is higher but not so high that drive asap is needed.
If left at 40C/100F the rate of degradation is only fractions higher, so 6 hours at 100% might not be worse than 7 hours at 80-90%.
For simplicity only Panasonic NCA on the picture but about tge same is valid for both NMC and LFP.
45BC88D7-8238-4DCF-BDB0-247FE798C45B.jpeg

In some cases, 80-90% even wear more than 100%.

There might be no reason to leave it at high SOC, so Im not saying you should but if you need to a few times, its not very bad.
If it was, Im sure Tesla would have put it in the manual.
Likewise, don't run it down to zero, or near zero, unless you're going to plug in right away. Don't let it sit at a low sate of charge.
The same thing is for low SOC. Just look at the same graph. Low SOC down to 0% real SOC, thats well below 0% on the screen, it not only very safe: it actually causes less calendar aging.
Tesla urges to charge it soon - thats good, because the range below 10 or 20% is not that good.
Leaving teslas that have lead acid type Low voltage batteries with empty HV-batts will cause the lead acid LV batt to get damaged if the HV bat shut down due to low SOC.
There is no real danger to the HV-batt unless left uncharged at 0% for long periods.