Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge plug not being able to be disconnected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 that I charge using my Podpoint home charger. Intermittently I have problems with disconnecting the plug when I want to start driving. This is despite trying to disconnect using both the app or the in car touch screen. It usually works absolutely fine but on other times you need to attempt multiple times to get the plug out. So frustrating especially when you need to leave in a hurry. Any ideas? Do I need to contact Tesla or is there a DIY solution?

My Podpoint charger does not have a button (unlike the Tesla chargers). I rely on either the app or the touchscreen inside the car- sometimes neither of these work, so it is not just a problem whilst the car is asleep.
I think it must have a button, it's an integral part of the Tesla, J1772, and the European Mennekes plug standards. WIthout the button, the car doesn't know that you want to remove the plug and it won't let it go. Now, if you're using an adapter, you can run into problems of getting the adapter out if you just pull the plug out of it while leaving the adapter in the car. In that case, you want to be sure to pull the adapter out with the plug.

And if they really did replace it with an app somehow...what an incredibly annoying thing to do! You should be able to just grab the plug, push the button and pull it out. Requiring a phone app just to unplug the car is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a Model 3 that I charge using my Podpoint home charger. Intermittently I have problems with disconnecting the plug when I want to start driving. This is despite trying to disconnect using both the app or the in car touch screen. It usually works absolutely fine but on other times you need to attempt multiple times to get the plug out. So frustrating especially when you need to leave in a hurry. Any ideas? Do I need to contact Tesla or is there a DIY solution?
@coluna It helps if you tell your location and also what kind of charging plug this is. Other people keep talking about J1772, but that is Type1, and your location says "Colchester". Are you in the UK, where it's a Type2 plug? That doesn't have a release latch button on top, like the Type1 (J1772) does, so the previous comments wouldn't be relevant.

Reactions: davewill
Upvote 0
Then to answer your original question, get a charger with a J1772 Type 1) connector.
That doesn't make sense and is wrong and unhelpful. You are thinking of the North American cars that come with the Tesla proprietary port and the little snap-on J1772 adapter. None of that is exists in the UK where this poster is. The cars in the UK are built with the Type 2 charge port. His charging unit also has the Type 2 cable, so it is the correct connection. There is just something glitchy and not working well.

• Informative
Reactions: coluna and davewill
Upvote 0