Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port automatically opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! First post here!

A couple times this week, when I parked at home and got out the car, my charging port opened automatically. I didn't press anything in the car or app, and I didn't interact with the charging port or wall connector. The other times I parked this week, it didn't open.

I don't see anything in the manual about this and I haven't seen this happen in the 4 months I've owned the car, so I'm assuming it's not normal. I've scheduled service but I'm worried they won't know what to do about it.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them. If so, what was the cause?

Thanks!

A mobile tech came and checked it out, but said everything looks fine and sometimes Teslas do weird things, but to make another service request if it happens again.

About a week later, it happened again and I made another service request. Another mobile tech came and replaced the charge port. He said the logs showed that a charging cable button triggered it to open and the antenna is in the charge port, which is probably what was acting up. Since I got a new charge port, it's been fine.

Upvote 0
It could just be your charging handle is broadcasting the 315mhz or something else is. Also could be someone pranking you. Lots of videos on YouTube of it.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
It could just be your charging handle is broadcasting the 315mhz or something else is. Also could be someone pranking you. Lots of videos on YouTube of it.

It could be, but it’s doing it in my garage, and in random parking lots. Seems unlikely someone is pranking me all over the place…

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Before. It was getting replaced because the MCU detected that it would no longer open when physically pressed and threw up an error in the notification area. I tested it and sure enough it wouldn't open by pressing it any longer.

This happened just a few days ago.
Interesting. My charge port on my S works perfectly via the wand or via pressing on it. Just bizarre that it also randomly opens while parked. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0
Interesting. My charge port on my S works perfectly via the wand or via pressing on it. Just bizarre that it also randomly opens while parked. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Happened to my 2023 Y about 3 or 4 times over the past week or so. Random parking lots and one time was at home. Very strange. Will keep an eye on it. Something to do with the heavy rain/hailstorm we had recently?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0
Happened to my 2023 Y about 3 or 4 times over the past week or so. Random parking lots and one time was at home. Very strange. Will keep an eye on it. Something to do with the heavy rain/hailstorm we had recently?
Who even knows. Parked at a busy mall right now. Sitting here 25 mins without issue, and then bam, charge port opened by itself. Can always tell since the screen switches to the charge menu. I closed the charge port and a minute later it opened again by itself. I closed it on-screen again and then it re-opened by itself a minute later. I closed it again and all is fine again. So odd…!

Upvote 0
Same thing happening to my 2022 Model X charge port keeps opening randomly tesla service just replace the entire charge port door but it started happening as soon he was done installing again :) So not sure what else to do .. Maybe will try to take it to SC however tech said maybe a software issue. This does not happen to my 2018 Model 3 or the 2021 model s

Upvote 0
Same thing happening to my 2022 Model X charge port keeps opening randomly tesla service just replace the entire charge port door but it started happening as soon he was done installing again :) So not sure what else to do .. Maybe will try to take it to SC however tech said maybe a software issue. This does not happen to my 2018 Model 3 or the 2021 model s
So bizarre! Thanks for letting me know the charge port door replacement doesn't solve it, so won't waste my time there. Le sigh.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Upvote 0