Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port damage: How serious?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I noticed what looks like damage to my Tesla's charge port:

damaged-tesla-connector.jpg

The top-right pin (more of a socket, really) in the photo is shorter than its left-side counterpart, and has exposed metal at its tip. I guess a plastic bit at the end of the piece broke off. I don't see any hint of it in any of the charging equipment I normally use, and I don't recall finding a small plastic bit like this in my driveway. I don't know how long this damage has existed; it could be hours, days, or even months. I can still charge OK, at least at Level 2 (32A at home) -- I haven't tried Supercharging.

I happened to be not too far from Tesla's Warwick (RI) store when I noticed this today, so I dropped by, but their service department was closed, so I could only speak to a salesperson, who advised me to schedule service immediately. It'll be more than two weeks before there's an appointment at Warwick, though, so I thought I should ask for the advice of people here: How serious is this damage? If charging is dangerous with this damage, then I'll minimize my driving, and therefore my need for charging, until I can get it fixed; or maybe call Tesla to try to get it fixed sooner.

Tesla will fix it under warranty, but you should still be able to charge fine (as long as the broken pin deadfront is not still in the port). It like like the broken piece is not still in the port, so you can still charge fine as long as the broken piece isn't stuck in the charge connector plug.

How serious is it? 0% serious. You can still charge fine and not worry. It's a little piece of plastic that they'll replace under warranty.

In my previous M3 they couldn't replace the deadfront piece, so they replaced the entire charge port assembly.

Today I noticed what looks like damage to my Tesla's charge port:

damaged-tesla-connector.jpg

The top-right pin (more of a socket, really) in the photo is shorter than its left-side counterpart, and has exposed metal at its tip. I guess a plastic bit at the end of the piece broke off. I don't see any hint of it in any of the charging equipment I normally use, and I don't recall finding a small plastic bit like this in my driveway. I don't know how long this damage has existed; it could be hours, days, or even months. I can still charge OK, at least at Level 2 (32A at home) -- I haven't tried Supercharging.

I happened to be not too far from Tesla's Warwick (RI) store when I noticed this today, so I dropped by, but their service department was closed, so I could only speak to a salesperson, who advised me to schedule service immediately. It'll be more than two weeks before there's an appointment at Warwick, though, so I thought I should ask for the advice of people here: How serious is this damage? If charging is dangerous with this damage, then I'll minimize my driving, and therefore my need for charging, until I can get it fixed; or maybe call Tesla to try to get it fixed sooner.
As long as there aren't bits in the way that make it so you can't plug in fully, there shouldn't be any danger. It's a bit of plastic they can easily replace. There's actually a TSB for this:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154509-9999.pdf

Note for emergencies, you may be able to drop in during business hours and service may be able to accommodate you, especially for a quick fix like this.

Resurrecting this in hopes somebody has a bit more information.

After a supercharging session, I discovered at my next stop that one of the dead fronts was gone and I could no longer supercharge. Home charging with the UMC was severely reduced (so inefficient) but using the J1772 adapter at a public Level 2 (Volta) was normal.

Tesla replaced the dead fronts under warranty but say it’s part of the basic warranty rather than battery or drive unit extended. Considering their supercharger damaged my car, I would love to think a future event would be covered by their insurance but am not wearing rose colored glasses. I asked them what the repair would’ve cost out of warranty and they haven’t answered yet.

Does anybody know what dead front replacements cost (assuming no additional damage)?

Considering their supercharger damaged my car, I would love to think a future event would be covered by their insurance but am not wearing rose colored glasses.
Actually it is likely the other way around, your car "damaged" the Supercharger by leaving your deadfront in the Supercharger handle. Here is a TSB on the issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154509-9999.pdf

A missing deadfront on your charge port wouldn't prevent you from being able to charge. It is possible that the Supercharger you tried to use had a dead-front stuck in the other side of the connector preventing it from fully seating in your charge port.

Actually it is likely the other way around, your car "damaged" the Supercharger by leaving your deadfront in the Supercharger handle. Here is a TSB on the issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154509-9999.pdf

A missing deadfront on your charge port wouldn't prevent you from being able to charge. It is possible that the Supercharger you tried to use had a dead-front stuck in the other side of the connector preventing it from fully seating in your charge port.

I’m not sure what you mean by my car damaged the supercharger but, to be clear, my deadfronts had already been replaced under that TSB back when it was issued. Missing deadfront (just one) did prevent me from supercharging with the system not letting the latch engage and thinking the port was frozen. It also reduced my UMC home charging from 32A to 15A max.

Anyway, service advisor said it would’ve cost $117 ($22 for part and $95 for diagnosis - February 2022 prices) to resolve this out of warranty.

Last edited:
My Model 3, built in June 2019, has this problem also. The TSB is dated Feb. 7, 2019. So what's with Tesla continuing to manufacture charging ports with defective deadfronts? Mine is still charging, but it's many hundreds of miles to the nearest Tesla service center for me.
Also, it may not be just a process of replacing bits of plastic. As stated in the TSB "WARNING: If the voltage measured is greater than 10V [between charging pin and ground], at least one of the HV battery fast charge contactors are closed or welded. Stop this procedure and escalate a Toolbox session, as appropriate." I wonder how often they check that in doing the repair.

Just had this happen to me on my December 2018 build Model 3 yesterday. I usually charge at home. This was only my second time of supercharging. I had no idea what was going wrong. The first charger I tried had a bent pin, so I figured that must be the problem. I tried three more stalls. Same problem. One of my deadfronts came off and was now firmly wedged in the back of the port, preventing me from being able to charge. With the help of some good people in a Model Y in the next stall over, I was able to borrow a screwdriver and with some effort, was able to break the broken deadfont loose and get it out of the port so I could charge up and be on my way. I'm having mobile service deal with it tomorrow when they're here to rotate the wheels. Glad to know about the technical service bulletin. I'm out of basic warranty, but I hope they cover it, anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: asavage
I just had this on my 17 model S, most of the time I charge at home and the wall connector is new. I got an alert "Wall connection hot - reduced charging rate, connection must be checked" -> 19A. If I unplug and plug back in then it usually works and allow it to charge at 40A, scheduled mobile tech to come, but have to wait pass Christmas. It's covered under extended warranty and have to pay 200.

This is still happening. Just happened on my dad's '18 Model 3. I was borrowing his car because mine was in the shop for a little body work (got rear-ended). I'm pretty sure my dad had his replaced years ago, so the current design is still an issue. I noticed it this AM when I went to use my adapter and it wouldn't lock on my car. What a rude way to thank my dad for letting me use his car. Return it with a broken deadfront