Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Closing Too Quickly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a charging J1772 station at work that I use nearly every day with the adapter supplied with the car. When I click the button on the charge handle to stop charging and I remove it, most of the time the door immediately shuts hitting the adapter which may still in the port if I start to pull before releasing the button. Most of the time the door starts to close the instant the handle is removed even hitting the handle. Sometimes, it has the 5-10 second delay which is what I assume it should do.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Am I doing something wrong?

We have a charging J1772 station at work that I use nearly every day with the adapter supplied with the car. When I click the button on the charge handle to stop charging and I remove it, most of the time the door immediately shuts hitting the adapter which may still in the port if I start to pull before releasing the button. Most of the time the door starts to close the instant the handle is removed even hitting the handle. Sometimes, it has the 5-10 second delay which is what I assume it should do.

It happens sometimes but I’m not sure why. You can stop charging and unlock the charge port from the app if this behavior bothers you.

Reactions: TORQU3

I have not run into it being that aggressive, but what I will say is that I have "trained" myself to pull out the adapter with the J1772 handle at the same time. So it is generally a two handed operation, right hand to hold the J1772 handle and depress the button, and the left hand to pull out the J1772 adapter at the same time.

FWIW, I do find it annoying that there is no way for the car to tell if the J1772 adapter is inserted into the car or not. This is a pretty annoying user interface challenge. (but it would likely require additional hardware / sensors to resolve)

I have not run into it being that aggressive, but what I will say is that I have "trained" myself to pull out the adapter with the J1772 handle at the same time. So it is generally a two handed operation, right hand to hold the J1772 handle and depress the button, and the left hand to pull out the J1772 adapter at the same time.

FWIW, I do find it annoying that there is no way for the car to tell if the J1772 adapter is inserted into the car or not. This is a pretty annoying user interface challenge. (but it would likely require additional hardware / sensors to resolve)

I try and do that most of the time, it does help. But regardless it usually starts closing the door instantly when it physically disconnects. Other times it waits 5-10 seconds, which I think is a much better method.

Yea I use the 2 hands to pull both at the same time and NO problem. Once both are removed it stays open about 2 to 3 seconds. Odd that it is always closed by the time I walk behind my car to hang it up and just this morning I stopped to watch it close.

A separate "close too quickly" and what I expected the thread to be about is the you open the port to insert the J-1772 it will close quickly and you can't use the J-1772 to re-open (the way a Tesla handle will). So I always keep my door open and the port will stay open.

A related question for J-1772 users. Where do you keep the adaptor? I put in the door pocket/bottle/to front space. Anyone have a better suggestion

I keep the J1772 adapter in the flip up center console along with a microfiber cloth for cleaning the screen/windows etc. The cloth keeps it from rolling around. I also keep a spare flash drive for sentry/dash cam and my charge point rfid tag in case it doesn’t read my phone. Handy little out of the way spot.

The door software assumes that you are using the proprietary Tesla charger, rather than using the adapter, I think.
I just unlock the adapter via the app, then pull out the charger + adapter, and then disengage the adapter from the charger. Could save potential servo unhappiness later.

If you press the button on th J1772 handle I think that cuts the power which triggers the unlock and hatch close.

If you stop charging and unlock the port from the car screen or the app, then the door doesn’t close. I do this, then use the 2-hand simultaneous removal of both adapter and plug. Never had issues with door closing on me before I removed it completely.

I don’t think it’s the greatest thing to pull the handle out without having stopped charging first, so if you are going to stop charging first, may as well hit unlock button too.

A related question for J-1772 users. Where do you keep the adaptor? I put in the door pocket/bottle/to front space. Anyone have a better suggestion

I keep mine locked in the glovebox, I put it in the nook on the far right side with the narrow end down and the wide end up. It seems to fit into that area nicely and I haven’t noticed it rattling or rolling around. It’s always in the same spot when I open the glovebox to retrieve it.

I used to keep it in the charger bag in the trunk but that’s more of a hassle, especially sometimes backing in tight into a charger.

Does it roll around/rattle much in the door bottle area? I do use that area occasionally for bottles or empty travel mugs to clear out the main cup holder area of empty items, so I probably wouldn’t use it full time even though it’s more convenient.

I also chose not to use the centre console area because I figured it should be locked away just in case my doors don’t lock on walk-away some time and someone pilfers around in my car they could steal it (or if someone broke in). Break in obviously is worse, but leaving it unlocked accidentally seems more likely if kids or passengers don’t shut doors completely the car doesn’t lock and also looks like an easy target with a door ajar.

I keep the J1772 adapter in the flip up center console along with a microfiber cloth for cleaning the screen/windows etc. The cloth keeps it from rolling around. I also keep a spare flash drive for sentry/dash cam and my charge point rfid tag in case it doesn’t read my phone. Handy little out of the way spot.
Super quick and convenient since even if you forget all you do is reach down and there it is. No getting back in the car or leaning in. It doesn't rattle or really make any noise. However I went out and there are some scratches. They are exaggerated by the camera and very hard to see but that are there. May put a cloth and see how that works.

IMG_0804.jpeg

If you press the button on th J1772 handle I think that cuts the power which triggers the unlock and hatch close.

If you stop charging and unlock the port from the car screen or the app, then the door doesn’t close. I do this, then use the 2-hand simultaneous removal of both adapter and plug. Never had issues with door closing on me before I removed it completely.

I don’t think it’s the greatest thing to pull the handle out without having stopped charging first, so if you are going to stop charging first, may as well hit unlock button too.

Pressing the button on the J1772 does exactly the same thing that pressing the button on the Tesla connector does, tell the car to stop charging and release the port. When pressed, the car will stop drawing current in a fraction of a second, faster than you can pull the plug out. None of those gymnastics are in the slightest way necessary.

As far as the door goes, there should be plenty of time to remove the plug and adapter together, although I've found that if you don't, the port will often lock before you can separately remove the adapter, but I've never had the door come down too quickly. Perhaps the OP is waiting a long time after pressing the button and before pulling the plug out? Otherwise, it sounds to me like the OPs port is closing a bit abruptly.

My technique is to press the J1772 button, release it, push the connector in to reengage the lock, then pull them out together all with one hand. I found the two hand approach clumsy, especially since I use the adapter on a daily basis and leave it with the plug.

Mini rant: There's no reason for the port to lock on the J1772 adapter when it's in by itself. If there isn't a valid proximity signal, why lock the port?

Pressing the button on the J1772 does exactly the same thing that pressing the button on the Tesla connector does, tell the car to stop charging and release the port. When pressed, the car will stop drawing current in a fraction of a second, faster than you can pull the plug out. None of those gymnastics are in the slightest way necessary.

No, I disputed this. Do you have evidence?

The Tesla connector button sends a signal to the car. We know it can do this wirelessly. It may also be able to do this over the protocol wires when connected.

When you disengage the J1772 latch I believe that kills the power from the station side (if the plug and station are well-designed and behaving properly anyways), then the car detects that. [EDIT: seems there’s a physical resistor involved for J1772, and the car detects that ... IF the J1772 handle isn’t broken]

There’s hardly any “gymnastics” to safely tell my car to stop charging and unlock the port. I’ve heard first hand reports of arcing. A quick search shows posts about it too ...
ChargePoint Sparks when unplugging

Lots of accounts in that thread of arcing. If the J1772 is broken, since the car isn’t locking the handle in, you might arc. When you use a Tesla connector the car doesn’t unlock til after the power is cut. For safety it makes sense to always stop charging first when using J1772 adapter because you never know when a perfectly functioning handle might fail on you for the first time.

So in the end I guess I also disputed this, with evidence from many posters in thread above (that you posted in too! :)) :
When pressed, the car will stop drawing current in a fraction of a second, faster than you can pull the plug out.

Last edited:
Mini rant: There's no reason for the port to lock on the J1772 adapter when it's in by itself. If there isn't a valid proximity signal, why lock the port?

How about so someone can’t steal your $100 adapter which may be critical for you on a road trip to be able to make it home?

I could see it now ... bums stalking public chargers waiting for Tesla owners to plug in and leave, then unplug the J1772 handle, wait for Tesla to unlock the port, and then steal the adapter.

Then they can resell them on eBay ... or sell them to desperate Tesla owners on location :)

“Yeah, theft is pretty common here.. so common I set up this adapter stand where I sell spare adapters to Tesla owners in need” LOL.

Reactions: TORQU3
How about so someone can’t steal your $100 adapter which may be critical for you on a road trip to be able to make it home?

I could see it now ... bums stalking public chargers waiting for Tesla owners to plug in and leave, then unplug the J1772 handle, wait for Tesla to unlock the port, and then steal the adapter.

Then they can resell them on eBay ... or sell them to desperate Tesla owners on location :)

“Yeah, theft is pretty common here.. so common I set up this adapter stand where I sell spare adapters to Tesla owners in need” LOL.
Which they can already do just by pulling the adapter out WITH the plug. :rolleyes:

... For safety it makes sense to always stop charging first when using J1772 adapter because you never know when a perfectly functioning handle might fail on you for the first time.

So in the end I guess I also disputed this, with evidence from many posters in thread above (that you posted in too! :)) :
Fun watching you argue with yourself.

Yeah, It does seem that Tesla is a little broken when to comes to sensing the proximity signal change when pressing the J1772 button. They probably relaxed the timing because they are (erroneously) relying on the lock in the charge port. If you're pulling the adapter and plug out together, it's impossible to get it to arc since the car has to unlock the port before you can do it.

If you insist on pulling the J1772 plug separately, I could see checking that the charge port light changes when you press the button, just in case you have some broken handle, but to go inside the car and cancel charging every time? Totally unnecessary.

Now let's stop hijacking this guy's charge port DOOR thread.