Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door requires 2 attempts to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I have to open the charge port door 2x to keep it open. First attempt and it opens, closes immediately. 2nd attempt and it says open. Happens if tapping the screen, using button on charging cable, or touching the charge port door. 2018 Model 3 LR on 2021.40.6. Is this a software glitch? Any solutions? Thanks.

Same here, started with 40.6 update for me. I'm just glad its not a worse glitch. Slightly annoying but at least it stays open the 2nd time.

Also noticed the few second delay when you pull the cable out is gone. I better be quick cause it slams shut a millisecond after senses the cable is out. If I'm slow, its almost like its trying to slap me, Bad owner, to slow...

Same here, started with 40.6 update for me. I'm just glad its not a worse glitch. Slightly annoying but at least it stays open the 2nd time.

Also noticed the few second delay when you pull the cable out is gone. I better be quick cause it slams shut a millisecond after senses the cable is out. If I'm slow, its almost like its trying to slap me, Bad owner, to slow...
I had the close-too-soon problem around two years ago. Eventually it just went away.

Yeah, the fast closing thing happens to me too. At least it stays open and hopefully it gets fixed w/ next update

Reactions: RNHurt and Rmchrger
My charge port also takes two tries to open. I scheduled a service for that, but Tesla wrote me back saying that the behaviour will be corrected in firmware release 2021.44.
I’m having the same problem but my service center wants to replace the whole charge port for over $570.30. Might you have a copy of that communication from Tesla you could send me or post it here Thanks Mike

I had similar issue - then ended up turning into it also not wanting to release the supercharger on a Friday night (sat with the car for hours). Nobody had a solution, the tow service they sent didn't know how to get it out either (manual pull cord didn't work either). Randomly it decided to release and I was able to drive home. It's been fine since but they are replacing the charger ECU - tech said recently saw this in another car. Really shook me into never wanting to road trip this car.

I’m having the same problem but my service center wants to replace the whole charge port for over $570.30. Might you have a copy of that communication from Tesla you could send me or post it here Thanks Mike
Here’s an image of the text that Tesla sent me in the Tesla app (it starts in French and repeats the same info in English).

786A1C79-0665-4AF0-ACAE-B9604C3FB5D9.png

Reactions: Transformer
It doesn't seem to have fixed it though. I work in software, and have a *very* hard time understanding how these bugs made it out without being caught in testing, why anything with the charging port door was changed to begin with, and why it's taking them weeks to resolve it. Mind boggling. Anyone with insider knowledge have any idea why this has happened? The last several software updates only seem to have made the vehicle worse.

I’m getting the same issues — opens then closes quick AND closes fast after unlocking cable. Glad to read I’m not alone.

The sequence of noises is also different than it used to be. Previously the door would open, stay open, and I’d hear the port unlock in preparation for the cable. Now I do the dance to get it to stay open, and don’t hear the noise until after the cable is plugged in.